Anemone Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
hi

they are bagged with pure oxygen he says any fish warehouse will bag them with pure oxygen

why you ask?

They always reach the dealer OK don't they, it is the journey from local dealer to you that seems to have the problems?
Hi
yeh they always reach the dealer ok but i have always always ordered my fish from there and that has never happened i have even ordered my achilles tang out of this place and has arrived alive its just the morish idlo that keep dieing on me

thanks scott

Its probably to do with the sensitivity of the Moorish Idol in particular, there are many factors I believe that contribute to them being very sensitive even before you attempt to get them to feed.

Ski may be able to shed some light on it for you, but I have a feeling it is that journey from local dealer to your house that is the problem, it may not be so much of a problem if they were using pure Oxygen for bagging.

Yup, on large or sensitive fish, my LFS will use O2 to prepare the bags. The simple fact is that seawater has a very poor capacity for carrying Oxygen. Furthermore, there is actually not all that much O2 in regular air. Being that as the case, large, active, and sensitive fish often times are able to use up all the O2 in the bag, especially when bagged and freaked out. The fish's metabolism goes through the roof and it uses the little O2 in the water and then the little O2 in the air and ends up suffocating or suffering secondary injuries to hypoxia that it never recovers from.

Obviously, O2 bagging is really necessary on the long trip TO the LFS, but is also important on the shorter trip to your house for some fish. And since the fish you're loosing are large, active, and sensitive all in one, not bagging with O2 is a recipie for failure.

20.95% actually ;)

Human exhaled gas is only around 16% though, so if the bag is inflated by blowing it up... That's bad.

Ultimately it's about the number of moles of oxygen in the water/air total. And there is NOT a lot of O2 in a bag filled with air. To be sure, we humans have much higher metabolism than fish, but rebreathing off a fish bag would lead us to burn the O2 in the bag in a matter of a minute (we'd also be hypercapnic too, but that's another matter). It's not unreasonable to think a freaked out fish could burn it down in 20-30 mins.

78.1% Nitrogen
0.93% Argon
0.04% CO2

The remainder is all trace gasses :)

so all marine fish that are imported have just pure oxygen in the bag

regards scott

so all marine fish that are imported have just pure oxygen in the bag

regards scott

Yup, if you want your fish to survive a transcontinental trip, bagging with O2 helps tremendously. So much so that in order to compete, pretty much all the transcontinental guys do now. No wholesaler buys from someone who uses air-only and the poor survivability rate that entails :)

bought to oxygen tanks to day so when i pick up my fish the get the air taken out and the oxygen put in it was 75quid for both of them

Hi every1

as most of you will know my system crashed and i am seting it up as a an anemone aquarium with just all diffrent types of clowns and i will take all the water out from the other systems

1st question how strong lights should i have

2nd am i better ading the clowns first or the anemones

can anmeones be near each other

thanks scott
i have two anemones atlantic and bubbletip atlantic £35 lavender colour <--- rare. bubbletip £30 i also have tomato clowns and common clowns they don't fight but when i put the tomatoes in they got bit at by the commons but now however its differant the tomato clowns are the boss and the commons are the little baby doo dee heads but all live in harmony. :shifty: :unsure: :drool: :hyper: :rolleyes: :angry: :blink: :shout: :sick: :good: :blush: :look: :sad: :lol: :grr: :fun: :huh: :hey: :sly: :nod: -_- :no: :wub: B-) :cool: :-( ;) :S :/ :) :D :X :* :p :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back