Advise Needed-Veiltail Betta

I would euthanise him, as he is going to slip away. I use clove oil when all else fails..which is a gentle way, it will put him to sleep first if done correctly..look on the internet. I think thatā€™s the humane way to go. Never ever trust sales people. Iā€™ve rarely had good advice from them.
If there is no hope of course!

If there is no hope of course!
Iā€™ve had a couple of betta fish who lived for several years...mine loved to swish his tail around the tank, and always swam up
to the front of the tank in a kind of ā€˜greetingā€™ fashion whenever I walked in the room. If your fish is not moving...he must be so miserable...and if heā€™s lost colour, it does sound like heā€™s dying. Not your fault, but very bad advise given. Hope you can get something out of all these replies.

No, you couldn't use a cup to the clean the bottom, that's why I suggested a turkey baster or an empty syringe for that part :) If you could get a bit of airline tubing (cheap in any fish store) you can also start a syphon by placing one end in the fish jug, putting the other end lower down and sucking on it until water comes through. It's a skill that takes practice to get the syphon started without getting a mouthful of dirty tank water... chances are that you will, the first few times! Then you move the airline around the bottom, sucking up all the waste. This is drop the water level at the same time.

Yes, ammonia will build up in there, depends when the last water change was. I suggest a 50% change at first because a 100% change is drastic, and big sudden changes can again, put fish into shock and kill them. Small and often would be better when we don't know when he last had a water change.

The water was changed on Saturday morning or perhaps Friday. It looks murky and has tons of impurities.

It sounds far too complicated for me ( the use of a tube and sucking it) and would prefer a simple solution.

If I have fully understood; I should empty half of the water and replace it with half tap water including the WC. However, as she doesn't have the tools, how could I scoop out the residue ; ? At what temperature should the fresh water be? I also gather that the fish is still in the jar during the cleaning.

I'm not really in a position to go and buy stuff except for the WC. read water conditioner LOL.

Last edited:
Ok...if you think thereā€™s still hope, I would seriously buy a light coloured/white household bucket as a temporary measure and put him in there with as little disturbance as possible. You can look after him better in there and he canā€™t see his reflection. Just remember that if you do this, leave him there without disturbing him as this will cause him stress.

Iā€™ve had a couple of betta fish who lived for several years...mine loved to swish his tail around the tank, and always swam up
to the front of the tank in a kind of ā€˜greetingā€™ fashion whenever I walked in the room. If your fish is not moving...he must be so miserable...and if heā€™s lost colour, it does sound like heā€™s dying. Not your fault, but very bad advise given. Hope you can get something out of all these replies.

That's how I found it on Saturday afternoon, just floating by the side of the jar, very dark (greyish black) and refused to eat. It wouldn't even swim. The toxicologist (someone that I know and who emailed me yesterday) did also confirm that it's organs were shutting down.

Since, I followed all of the advise from members on this forum and made sure that it got plenty of heat and
'entertainment' it has really changed. What has struck me is it's colour and the way it interacts with me. I'm also getting it to swim a lot.

Ok...if you think thereā€™s still hope, I would seriously buy a light coloured/white household bucket as a temporary measure and put him in there with as little disturbance as possible. You can look after him better in there and he canā€™t see his reflection. Just remember that if you do this, leave him there without disturbing him as this will cause him stress.

That sounds a bit drastic for me. Don't forget that firstly, I'm just the pet sitter and secondly I have no experience with handling and looking after fish.:(
It must seem easy for you as you are a fish expert. :)

Last edited:
The water was changed on Saturday morning or perhaps Friday. It looks murky and has tons of impurities.

It sounds far too complicated for me ( the use of a tube and sucking it) and would prefer a simple solution.

If I have fully understood; I should empty half of the water and replace it with half tap water including the WC. However, as she doesn't have the tools, how could I scoop out the residue ; ? At what temperature should the fresh water be? I also gather that the fish is still in the jar during the cleaning.

I'm not really in a position to go and buy stuff except for the WC.
Without a tool like a turkey baster or something, you'd need to net the fish out, pour half of the water into a clean, uncontaminated container, then add the fish to that. Cover that container with a towel or something, since bettas are good jumpers.

Then rinse out the 'tank' to get rid of the waste. Refill half way with clean, conditioned water, warmed to the same temperature the tank is at now, net the betta, pour the old tank water back in, return betta. Some waste will go back in with the betta, but that should remove most of it.

That sounds a bit drastic for me. Don't forget that firstly, I'm just the pet sitter and secondly I have no experience with handling and looking after fish.:(
It mus seem easy for you as you are a fish expert. :)
If heā€™s responding well to everything youā€™ve done, and is getting his colour back, then leave him and continue to do it, but if it comes to it, it really isnā€™t difficult to transfer him into a larger container with the minimum of fuss. See how you go

Without a tool like a turkey baster or something, you'd need to net the fish out, pour half of the water into a clean, uncontaminated container, then add the fish to that. Cover that container with a towel or something, since bettas are good jumpers.

Then rinse out the 'tank' to get rid of the waste. Refill half way with clean, conditioned water, warmed to the same temperature the tank is at now, net the betta, pour the old tank water back in, return betta. Some waste will go back in with the betta, but that should remove most of it.

That I could do. I have a plastic bowl that contains a litre.:cool:

You all have so much expertise in this field and are most helpful. Thank You. - to all of you who have kindly responded to my complicated questions. :flowers::)

Last edited:
If heā€™s responding well to everything youā€™ve done, and is getting his colour back, then leave him and continue to do it, but if it comes to it, it really isnā€™t difficult to transfer him into a larger container with the minimum of fuss. See how you go

There is a net. I just have to make sure that it doesn't jump out during the transfer. Perhaps by using a tea towel?

Yes...or gently put your hand over the net. Iā€™m not sure about the sizes here, but you could perhaps use a cup? As long as you keep it gentle, it should work
Do make sure that the water temperature is the same, and that, either you use a water conditioner, or leave the new water to stand for 24 hours. Your finger is a good indicator of temperature. Itā€™s always advisable to acclimatise fish to new water, by using a polythene bag, or a cup, but, as I said before, Iā€™m not sure about the sizes you are looking at. Just do whatever you do as gently as possible.

Do make sure that the water temperature is the same, and that, either you use a water conditioner, or leave the new water to stand for 24 hours. Your finger is a good indicator of temperature. Itā€™s always advisable to acclimatise fish to new water, by using a polythene bag, or a cup, but, as I said before, Iā€™m not sure about the sizes you are looking at. Just do whatever you do as gently as possible.

I think that the WC sounds like a good idea. Problem is that the shops are far. So, leaving the water out for 24 hours would also do the trick ?
The fish is small but wouldn't it be stressed out to be in a small cup? She does have several mugs and I also have a small litre bowl (baking) that I could use.

I think that I could manage that as long as it doesn't jump out or get injured in when I put it back. I really do not want to harm it.

Good tip about testing the water with my finger. It must be cold (water) as the room is at 20Ā°C and it reads 19Ā°C by the window. I'm actually surprised that it's managing to survive in such cold water as the optimum temp for a Betta is 26Ā°C.

1 litre bowl is best option..but try to use the water he is in now, and add to it...donā€™t want to stress him anymore. Good luck!

Most reactions

Back