Advise Needed-Veiltail Betta

Since it's such a small tank, could you move it to a smaller room and heat that one?

Turkey basters are ideal for removing things like uneaten food and fish poop on the bottom of a tank. Uneaten food will go bad and make the water quality poor.

No as she has a garden flat and all of the outdoor shutters are closed.

Last edited:
Could you position the tank near the back of her refrigerator at all? I suppose most refrigerators are concealed under cabinets, however if it is exposed, then the rear has a grill that stays warm and could help increase the ambient temperature around the tank

Could you position the tank near the back of her refrigerator at all? I suppose most refrigerators are concealed under cabinets, however if it is exposed, then the rear has a grill that stays warm and could help increase the ambient temperature around the tank

No as it's against the wall. The tank is near the window and the shutters are open so at night time it's gets quiet cold.

Day 3.

I went to see how the mite was doing and it looked perkier once I had started to interact with it. :alien:It's colour has also changed to a deeper blue instead of a blackish one plus it's fins are slightly spread out instead of sagging. It was far warmer in the flat as I put the temperature up to 19°C.
So what I've done to try and keep it warmer ; I've put a hot water bottle plus lots of cushions on one side of the jar. I've placed the jar on a tea towel plus a very warm microfibre (fleece) clothing plus a layer of foil. The latter is also wrapped around the jar at the bottom part only. I also placed some of my small pots of plants to one side so that it has a change of scenery.
I decided to stay with it for 15 mins and when I talked to it and also gently tapped agains the jar, it started to swim and flap it's fins ? or the things near it's head. So to my mind, it looked far perkier compared to yesterday. It also seems to like company.;)

I feel far happier to see it like this rather than just it floating in cold water. The side of the jar however, seemed very cold and the thermometer reads only 16 °C which is strange.

fish day 3 d.jpg

fish day 3  b.jpg

Last edited:
He was cold. Unlike mammals, fish can't make their own heat and they get it from the water. When the water is too cold, all their body processes slow down and they become sluggish.

I have to tell you how impressed I am for the way you are looking after this fish. His living conditions are down to his owner and you care so much for his wellbeing. Thank you.

He was cold. Unlike mammals, fish can't make their own heat and they get it from the water. When the water is too cold, all their body processes slow down and they become sluggish.

I have to tell you how impressed I am for the way you are looking after this fish. His living conditions are down to his owner and you care so much for his wellbeing. Thank you.

That makes sense why it's so perky and it's colour is brighter compared to yesterday. It must feel much warmer. Tonight, I will go and refill the hot water bottle and put a fleece blanket all around the jar. Should I cover the top of it as it's open or will it lack oxygen ?
The flat was only 16° C this morning.

Thank you for the nice compliment (I'm a huge animal lover) and I must return it as you've always answered my queries and been most helpful. I really appreciate it. ;)

Last edited:
You can cover the top with fabric-y type things that air can pass through, but don't make it air tight.

Maybe print off the Betta Care Sheet from here so she can see the right way to care for bettas. I blame the manufacturers of those tiny tanks for making people think bettas tan be kept in the most unsuitable conditions. I was in a shop once, not a fish shop, and on a shelf behind the counter was a 10 cm cube with a betta in it. That's 1 litre or one third of a gallon. These are sold as tanks for bettas :angry:

You can cover the top with fabric-y type things that air can pass through, but don't make it air tight.

Maybe print off the Betta Care Sheet from here so she can see the right way to care for bettas. I blame the manufacturers of those tiny tanks for making people think bettas tan be kept in the most unsuitable conditions. I was in a shop once, not a fish shop, and on a shelf behind the counter was a 10 cm cube with a betta in it. That's 1 litre or one third of a gallon. These are sold as tanks for bettas :angry:

Great idea. I may have some see through bags(nets) that I got from Sainsbury's. I'll cover the top with one.

You're right about people believing anything that is sold for pets is the perfect product. I've also seen major pet stores selling these tiny plastic jars. They are assured to sell thousands of them and must make huge profits.

Last edited:
I went and filled up the hot water bottle and placed it on the left hand side. The sides of the jug felt so much warmer and the pet swum up to the same side. It must feel the heat and it looked so much perkier compared to yesterday.:cool:

I have also put the heating up and will cover the sides of the jug with a thick fleece blanket.

Day 4

The flat was far warmer even though the thermostat reads 19°C. The pet was far perkier and it's really a nice blue colour. It seemed happy to swim when I talked to it. I put another hot water bottle next to the jar. Sadly, it does seem bored as the jar is empty and it has nothing to do all day long.

The perkiness and colour show that he was too cold.

If you think your friend would be OK with it, you could always get a silk plant. One with lots of leaves for him to swim through and explore. But not a plastic plant as they usually have sharp edges, and bettas have long delicate fins which are easily damaged.
I would normally suggest a live plant but his owner may not be too pleased with another living thing to care for.

I see and that's why I thought the mite was black ! In fact it is a beautiful shade of blue. It looks like a crown jewel.
Do you think that a small silk plant in such a small jar would be OK ? If so, I'll go and buy one later on.

I went back to see it and the fish was swimming around. It's the very first time that I've seen it so perky.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back