Advise Needed-Veiltail Betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gypsy Tart

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello there,

I need some helpful advise as I will be 'petsitting' a tropical fish (Betta Splendens) which is native to to Asia. It's a black fish with wavy fins.

I know absolutely nothing about keeping fish and what really bothers me is that the person bought the fish (approx 6-7 cms) from
a pet shop in a very small plastic container that mesures roughly 17 cm. The fish has barely enough water to swim and move. Moreover, there is nothing (greenery or pebbles) in the plastic tank. To my mind the fish must be bored and not getting enough exercise.

When I asked the owner why she wouldn't place the fish in a large aquarium or at least a fish bowl, she said that as it was sold
in the small container, hence it must be right for the species. Moreover, she said that it liked murky water.

I have looked up information online and it does specify that 1 gallon of water is necessary per cm. I have no idea if this information is correct.
Being an animal lover I would like to have the right information and if necessary would go and purchase a larger bowl for the fish that I will be caring for. How do you know that a fish in a tank is thriving and happy?

Thank You for your help!

Last edited:
I'm afraid what the owner said is terrible advice. The best thing I can do is to give you a couple of links which gives the water parameters, temperature etc needed by these fish; the habitat they come from and the size tank they need. You will see that they need a tank at least 120 cm long not a confined space. They need very fast flowing water.

However, the images do not match your description "black with wavy fins". if the fish in those links are different from your fish, could you post a photo so we can ID it.

I have looked up information online and it does specify that 1 gallon of water is necessary per cm.
This is an old way if determining how many fish can be kept in a tank. It does not mean that you measure the fish and find it meaures x cm so it can be kept in a tank of x gallons per cm; it means that if you have a tank of x gallons you can keep fish with a total adult length of x cm in that tank. But that is outdated; we also need to look at the needs of the individual species. So Annamia normani grows to 10 cm but needs a much bigger tank that 10 gallons. And the length of the tank is more important than the volume.

Thanks for your response. As you can imagine, I don't have a photo of the fish but have googled up fish from Vietnam and it is black with huge fins. I cannot download the photo from internet. The owner doesn't even know the correct name of the species and said that it was a 'war fish' that like murky waters.

https://www.fishbase.se/photos/ThumbnailsSummary.php?ID=26830 (It looks similar to the middle one)

The information concerning the length of the tank is very interesting. That seems like quite a huge tank. At least it would have enough room to get proper exercise.

I would have also thought that it was obvious that the retailer would sell the fish in the smallest and cheapest container. This doesn't necessarily mean that it's what is the best environnement for the fish.

I also have another query. Would it be better to leave the fish at the person's home and not move it into mine during the entire week ? I would imagine that it would be stressful for the fish to be in a different environnement.

Last edited:
I cannot open the second link. It's been a while since I saw it and I cannot remember whether it looks like the one in the first link. Perhaps, I should wait until next week to take a photo of it and post in on here.

I also asked another question ; would it be better that it's not moved into my home during the entire week ? I would imagine that it would be stressful for the fish. I'd actually be happier to go and feed it twice a day rather than to watch it in it's tiny 'cage'.

If you can offer it a bigger tank then by all means move it. The short term stress of moving it is outweighed by long term gain of it having a better home. But that would mean not moving it back to the owner's current setup

I agree. If the owner will put it back in the tiny tank, it's better leaving it where it is. But if you can persuade the owner that it needs a bigger tank that would be a lot better for the fish.

If you do a search for the website loaches on-line, they have a section 'pictorial species search index'. This starts with a series of line drawings of body shapes, so pick the one that looks most like this fish and it will give a list of species with that body shape. Then just look at the photos to find the most similar.

If you can offer it a bigger tank then by all means move it. The short term stress of moving it is outweighed by long term gain of it having a better home. But that would mean not moving it back to the owner's current setup

I googled up the price for tanks and there is no way that I can afford to buy one for her. They do look so much nicer compared to it's tiny 'plastic cage' that only contains a bit of water.

Thank you. :)

Last edited:
I agree. If the owner will put it back in the tiny tank, it's better leaving it where it is. But if you can persuade the owner that it needs a bigger tank that would be a lot better for the fish.

If you do a search for the website loaches on-line, they have a section 'pictorial species search index'. This starts with a series of line drawings of body shapes, so pick the one that looks most like this fish and it will give a list of species with that body shape. Then just look at the photos to find the most similar.

That's the reason why I joined this forum because you have so much knowledge on the topic.

I will follow your advise and try and find what species it is.

I'm so grateful for all of your advise and hate to see a fish that is stressed out. Thank You. :)

EDIT:

I have gone over to the given website and (too many different similar species) it's just confused me.

I think that I will have to post a photo when I'm in charge of the fish. It's been a long time since I last saw it and I must also admit, I avoid looking at it because it upsets me to see it. As you must have noticed, I'm a huge animal lover and always try to do my best if I come across an animal in need. :)

Last edited:
View attachment 119894

The plastic container is 13x14 cm.

So, I went to feed the pet this afternoon and I thought that it was dead. It was lying against the side of the jar and not moving. Even when I give it some pellets, it hardly moved.

The water was changed 2 days ago and it's already a bit murky.

Would anyone know the name of the species and help me choose a starter kit style small aquarium?

It really made me feel sad to see such a lovely fish in a 'cage' and looking so unhappy.

Thank you.

That's a betta, latin name Betta splendens. From what I can see, he's a veiltail betta - that's a descriptive name for the shape of his fins.
He needs a tank of at least 5 gallons/20 litres, a heater and a filter. And decor in the tank - live plants are best but for that there needs a substrate.

Pet shops often sell bettas in tiny containers so the customer thinks that's how they should be kept.

That's a betta, latin name Betta splendens. From what I can see, he's a veiltail betta - that's a descriptive name for the shape of his fins.
He needs a tank of at least 5 gallons/20 litres, a heater and a filter. And decor in the tank - live plants are best but for that there needs a substrate.

Pet shops often sell bettas in tiny containers so the customer thinks that's how they should be kept.

You're such an expert !
Would the following one (smallest size) be suitable? I'm also not too sure that she'd buy live plants. Would
ones in silk be safe ?

Thank you for all of your help.

Last edited:
You haven't said which tank ;)

Silk plants are fine. Bettas have been known to get bored and bite their own tails so having something in the tank is important. Live plants are best but fake are fine - though plastic should be avoided as they can have sharp edges which can cut those delicate fins. Silk are much better than plastic.
As you'll see in that link, bettas are tropical fish so unless the room is heated to 25 deg C in the middle of the coldest winter night, the tank needs a heater.
It is is possible to keep a betta in a tank with no filter but in this case water changes need to be done every day. Sponge filters powered by an air pump are ideal for bettas as they don't create a lot of water flow.
The reason that water changes need to be done is to remove the fish waste. Not just the poop but the fish equivalent of urine - ammonia. When a tank has a filter two colonies of bacteria grow which remove this ammonia. Without a filter, ammonia builds up and harms the fish so we have to remove it.
We still need to change half the water every week even with a filter, but without, water chnages have to be a lot more often.

You haven't said which tank ;)

Silk plants are fine. Bettas have been known to get bored and bite their own tails so having something in the tank is important. Live plants are best but fake are fine - though plastic should be avoided as they can have sharp edges which can cut those delicate fins. Silk are much better than plastic.
As you'll see in that link, bettas are tropical fish so unless the room is heated to 25 deg C in the middle of the coldest winter night, the tank needs a heater.
It is is possible to keep a betta in a tank with no filter but in this case water changes need to be done every day. Sponge filters powered by an air pump are ideal for bettas as they don't create a lot of water flow.
The reason that water changes need to be done is to remove the fish waste. Not just the poop but the fish equivalent of urine - ammonia. When a tank has a filter two colonies of bacteria grow which remove this ammonia. Without a filter, ammonia builds up and harms the fish so we have to remove it.
We still need to change half the water every week even with a filter, but without, water chnages have to be a lot more often.

That flat isn't heated to 25 °C. I would say it's about 21°C.

Taking all of this into account, what do you reckon it's life span will be ?

I'm amazed that you have so much knowledge as there are so many fish species.

Last edited:
I've had bettas, one at a time, for years :) My last one only died a few months ago, and I moved my shrimps into his tank.
as the fish in my main tank were eating the baby shrimps.

The 18 litre size would be perfect. If there are no live plants, a light in the lid is not necessary.
A betta needs to have minimum temperature of 25 deg C, though slightly warmer is better. A filter makes life much easier.

Looking at the website in your link, this type of filter is ideal for a betta
and to make it work you need an air pump like this

These are the heaters on the site, 50 watts is plenty for a small tank. One which has an adjustable theremostat is better than those which have a fixed temperature.

Most reactions

Back