Advise Needed-Veiltail Betta

Just a small update as I wanted to have the thumbs up from the owner before changing the water.

BTW do you just rinse the jar or clean it using a product such as alcohol vinegar ?

I have prepared some tap water and will leave it for 24 hrs (can I leave it less?) but will have to gently heat in the kettle, it as it'll be too cold.

Last edited:
Just a small update as I wanted to have the thumbs up from the owner before changing the water.

So, she puts the fish into a plastic bowl using the net. Empties the jar. Places the fish back into the jar with tepid tap water drawn immediately from the tap. She changes 100 % of the water. She doesn't use wc.

BTW do you just rinse the jar or clean it using a product such as alcohol vinegar ?

I have prepared some tap water and will leave it for 24 hrs (can I leave it less?) but will have to gently heat in the kettle, it as it'll be too cold.
If it were me, I wouldnā€™t use any product to rinse out the jar, just water. You will need to keep the water standing for at least 24 hours. If you desperately need to, boil the water first and let it cool to tepid. Just donā€™t use water straight from the tap. Is it possible for you to keep a hot water bottle at the side of the water container? You shouldnā€™t put the fish back into water drawn immediately from the tap...in the UK it has metal and chlorine traces in it which will harm the fish. Again, if it were me, I wouldnt use a net, but lower the jar into the bowl when itā€™s ready...and let the fish and dirty water (thereā€™s not much of it) into the bowl as gently as possible. The bad water will be diluted and you can clean it later.

If it were me, I wouldnā€™t use any product to rinse out the jar, just water. You will need to keep the water standing for at least 24 hours. If you desperately need to, boil the water first and let it cool to tepid. Just donā€™t use water straight from the tap. Is it possible for you to keep a hot water bottle at the side of the water container? You shouldnā€™t put the fish back into water drawn immediately from the tap...in the UK it has metal and chlorine traces in it which will harm the fish. Again, if it were me, I wouldnt use a net, but lower the jar into the bowl when itā€™s ready...and let the fish and dirty water (thereā€™s not much of it) into the bowl as gently as possible. The bad water will be diluted and you can clean it later.
Just looked it up..if you boil the water for 20 mins, this should dissolve all the chlorineā€™s and bad stuff. You should then be able to use the water as soon as it has cooled

OK no product to be used for cleaning the jar. She uses tap water immediately and no wc.

Why wouldn't you use the net ? I'm a bit confused about how to put it back into the jar if you don't use a net.
Over here (just checked the local water company) tap water also has chlorine et lots of metals. I was wondering whether I could just go and buy some bottled water ? :)

The tap water won't be ready before tomorrow lunchtime. I will just gently heat it in the kettle. Anyway, I did test the jar water and it's cold.

Yes, I can use a hot water bottle. I heat water up 3 times a day and it's next to the jar. On Saturday, it's jar was stone cold and it was on a quartz counter and it was freezing.

Last edited:
OK no product to be used for cleaning the jar. She has just told me that she uses washing up liquid. She uses tap water immediately and no wc.

Why wouldn't you use the net ? I'm a bit confused about how to put it back into the jar if you don't use a net.
Over here (just checked the local water company) tap water also has chlorine et lots of metals. I was wondering whether I could just go and buy some bottled water ? :)

The tap water won't be ready before tomorrow lunchtime. I will just gently heat it in the kettle. Anyway, I did test the jar water and it's cold.

Yes, I can use a hot water bottle. I heat water up 3 times a day and it's next to the jar. On Saturday, it's jar was stone cold and it was on a quartz counter and it was freezing.
Just checked...bottled water is better than tap water, so yes. It shouldnā€™t be stone cold though...I think your idea of the hot water bottle at the side of the tank is a good one for now.

Just checked...bottled water is better than tap water, so yes. It shouldnā€™t be stone cold though...I think your idea of the hot water bottle at the side of the tank is a good one for now.
Re - use of the net - yes youā€™ll probably have to use the net to put it back in the jar, but itā€™s a far from
Ideal situation for him. A sudden change of water will cause him a great deal of stress

Re - use of the net - yes youā€™ll probably have to use the net to put it back in the jar, but itā€™s a far from
Ideal situation for him. A sudden change of water will cause him a great deal of stress

I don't have any other alternative because the water is filthy.

I'm feeling a bit stressed (that will make two of us) out by the whole idea of the net and handling the fish. The only reason being, is I don't want anything to happen to it.

It says 1/2 a cap for 40 l of water. I would imagine that the jar contains 1. 1/2 litres of water so I don't know how to dose it.
The sales assistant said that the fish shouldn't be removed when cleaning a tank and only change 50% max of the water. He added that even when using wc you should leave the water out for 24 hours. So, perhaps I should buy bottled water plus the wc.

Last edited:
. I was wondering whether I could just go and buy some bottled water ? :)

Don't just casually change the water source!
The betta has got used to her tapwater, that GH, KH, pH, mineral content. Suddenly changing 100% of their water with a different type of water is a shock to a fish too. Stick to the tapwater, having used the water conditioner, or after boiling it and letting it cool.

No, please don't use any products to clean the tank itself.

I don't have any other alternative because the water is filthy.

I'm feeling a bit stressed (that will make two of us) out by the whole idea of the net and handling the fish. The only reason being, is I don't want anything to happen to it.

I called the garden centre as I thought that I'd buy the wc and they have this one:

It says 1/2 a cap for 40 l of water. I would imagine that the jar contains 1 1/ litres of water so I don't know how to dose it.
The sales assistant said that the fish shouldn't be removed when cleaning a tank and only change 50% max of the water. He gave me the same information.

My friends changes all of the water, uses cold tap water and detergent for the jar. Gosh, I'm amazed that it's survived all of these last few months.
Me too!! I think when they advised you not to remove the fish, they would think that the fish was in a proper tank! I never remove my fish, but theyā€™re in an aquarium! The water conditioner should just be mixed into the new water...not with the fish on it. Thatā€™s why I told you to lower the jar into the bowl, so that the fish would have his own ā€˜dirtyā€™ water mixed with the new water....but I donā€™t know the dimensions of the jar and the bowl, so can you find a way of doing this?

Me too!! I think when they advised you not to remove the fish, they would think that the fish was in a proper tank! I never remove my fish, but theyā€™re in an aquarium! The water conditioner should just be mixed into the new water...not with the fish on it. Thatā€™s why I told you to lower the jar into the bowl, so that the fish would have his own ā€˜dirtyā€™ water mixed with the new water....but I donā€™t know the dimensions of the jar and the bowl, so can you find a way of doing this?
Iā€™m trying not to bombard you with too much info...but if you can, try to minimise all water changes...it really does stress the fish. When you add fresh treated water...you should always do it very gradually

Don't just casually change the water source!
The betta has got used to her tapwater, that GH, KH, pH, mineral content. Suddenly changing 100% of their water with a different type of water is a shock to a fish too. Stick to the tapwater, having used the water conditioner, or after boiling it and letting it cool.

No, please don't use any products to clean the tank itself.

I'll just stick to tap water. I'm really learning as I didn't know anything about pet fish. I will buy the wc and use 24 hr water. I don't want to use her electric hob and boil water for 20 mins.

I won't use anything to clean the jar; just a kitchen towel and fresh water. She uses washing up liquid, mind you.

I'll just stick to tap water. I'm really learning as I didn't know anything about pet fish. I will buy the wc and use 24 hr water. I don't want to use her electric hob and boil water for 20 mins.

I won't use anything to clean the jar; just a kitchen towel and fresh water. She uses washing up liquid, mind you.
If you get the WC you wonā€™t need to wait for 24 hours, just 15 mins. The less you disturb him..the better heā€™ll be.

That's right. The man assumed that the pet was in a large aquarium not a 14 cm jar !

I will go and see what the dimensions of her 'holding' bowl are and the jar is tiny 5 inches x 5. I actually do not know how much water is in it neither.
The owner changes all of it's water in one go.

If he stays in this jar, how often should she change it ?

I'm so stressed out by the whole situation and am seriously contemplating on forking out ā‚¬70 to buy it a new aqaurium and thermostat. :sad:

Yes...or gently put your hand over the net. Iā€™m not sure about the sizes here, but you could perhaps use a cup? As long as you keep it gentle, it should work

@Hopeful ,OM gosh, I have just re read your post and you meant that I should use a cup and not a net. :unsure: I actually find that may be better. A net is flimsy whereas a cup is sturdy.
I could also filter some of the dirty war through a paper towel to get rid of the residue.

@Hopeful ,OM gosh, I have just re read your post and you meant that I should use a cup and not a net. :unsure: I actually find that may be better. A net is flimsy whereas a cup is sturdy.
I could also filter some of the dirty war through a paper towel to get rid of the residue.
Yes...thatā€™s what I was trying to say....that way, the fish is still in his own water....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back