missjeannie

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
Im really new to this hobby. I had a tropical tank when i was like 13 but that's it! haha
I am just in the process of cycling my tank ready for the first lot of fish to be put in but i wanted to check i wasnt putting a stupid combo of species in with each other!
I was thinking of neon tetras, guppies, rummy nose tetras and a pair of blue rams.
Does this sound okay? Suggestions/advice most welcome!!

:hi: to the forum, missjeannie :)

How big is your tank, and do you know if your water is hard or soft?

Sophie said:
How many litres is the tank?
Dimensions would be more helpful (as rams in particular need space for a territory); we can always work out the volume from the measurements ;)

If you're starting out German blue rams or EBRs aren't a good idea as they're very sensitive fish, try bolivian rams or a peaceful species of apistogrammas.

70 Litres I think - it's the Juwel Rekord 700
I should add that I was certainly not planning on having ALL those in my one tank haha just wanted an opinion on which would go well together!

Maybe just one schooling fish, I personally like rummy noses more than neons. You could get maybe 6-7 rummy noses and as a center piece a betta, a gourami, or other fish of that sort. For bottom dwellers you could get some corydoras, most species is fine for a 17 and a half gallon. I personally like sterbai corydoras, you could do 5 in there.

Thanks for the advice so far guys :)
Also I think I have soft water but I dont know for sure right now as I live in a grey area between hard water and soft water areas haha

*hard not soft! hah

Blue rams can be difficult to keep, even for more experienced fishkeepers due to their sensitivity to water quality and changes to their environment. Out of the fish you mentioned, I would personally choose a shoal of one type of tetra and then get about 3 guppies to occupy the upper levels. You could either get 3 males or 1 male and two females (they breed very easily).

Okay sounds like rams are a no-go for me for now! I like the idea of a shoal of tetras with the guppies so thanks! :)

Remember to add fish slowly. I'd probably add the guppies and then wait about two weeks before adding your shoal. Depending on your shoal size you should probably add say 4 and then another 4 two weeks later If you add them all together at once, it can cause a sudden increase in toxins such as ammonia which is bad!
Good luck with your tank!

I would say togo with guppies. Easy to take care of and breed really easily. Just rember that it is 3 femals for one male.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but I was always under the impression that if you do a fish-less cycle that once you're filter is cycled you can add all the fish at once, since the filter has build up bacteria to take care of a large amount of ammonia? 

Also, if you get fish after you already have fish in the tank it is better to quarantine them for 4-6 weeks before adding them to the tank. 

Meeresstille said:
Not to hi-jack the thread, but I was always under the impression that if you do a fish-less cycle that once you're filter is cycled you can add all the fish at once, since the filter has build up bacteria to take care of a large amount of ammonia? 
Really? well that's annoying lol. I spent all that time adding fish SLOWLY to my tanks when I could have just added them all at once? I think I have just developed a nervous twitch

wrightt3 said:

Really? well that's annoying lol. I spent all that time adding fish SLOWLY to my tanks when I could have just added them all at once? I think I have just developed a nervous twitch

lol....I'm hoping that we get some confirmation on this from some experienced members, cause now I'm unsure as well!  
unsure.png
 :)

If you've cycled with a reasonable level of ammonia (around 2-3ppm, for an average community tank), you should be able to stock all in one go.

However, many people feel it's still better to stock gradually so as not to overload the bacteria at the beginning, and to allow for adjustment in stocking.

Most reactions

trending

Back