Adding fish to an established tank

ramtsi

Reaction score
I currently have 15 neons and can't decide what fish to add to the tank.
My options are:
1. 8-10 ember tetras/gold tetras
2. 2-3 honey gouramis

The tank size is 60x30x40 cm with an eheim 2213 filter. Nitrates are 0. The tank is running for 2 years with the current stock.

Attachments

• IMG_20231206_195155.jpg
    IMG_20231206_195155.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 20
I would go with the ember tetras - they are small and lively. Plus they are South American, and I somehow like tanks where the fish come from the same general region.
Honeys can live in the lower temperatures neons like, but they prefer warmer waters than neons like. H. amandae also like it near the top of the neon's temperature range, but would be good if the tank were around 24.

The gourami will hang out towards the top while the neons hang out towards the middle and bottom. I have neons in my library and I have embers in my basement. My embers all seem to hang out in the huge java fern (not a biotope, I know GaryE :)) and only swim around at feeding time. When the embers first came home they would school around and while they do still stay in a pack, mine aren’t very active. You might enjoy more visual interest in the aquarium with a fish that hangs out by the surface. I love ember tetras and neons though, South American fish of all kinds have always been my favorites. This summer I hope to breed neons in a tub on my sun porch.

Attachments

• IMG_6088.jpeg
    IMG_6088.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1404.jpeg
    IMG_1404.jpeg
    349.5 KB · Views: 9
With 15 neons in a 60x30x40 cm tank and an Eheim 2213 filter, your options of adding 8-10 ember tetras/gold tetras or 2-3 honey gouramis both work well. Ember tetras or gold tetras will add vibrant colors and activity, while honey gouramis bring a peaceful touch. Consider your neons' preferences for active schooling or a relaxed centerpiece. Ensure proper acclimatization when introducing new fish to maintain balance in your established tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back