Active .vs. Non active members?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I would say (my self included) a lot of new members sign up looking for help and advice, some people see this as a hobby and stick around to try and offer support or guidance to others, while some get the help they need and are never to be seen again...

I’m very greatful for the help I’ve got so I’ll be frequenting here a lot!
I guess you make a valid point. :good:

I'm new here. I have left all of the old forums I used to frequent, save one. A lot of people say things with nothing at all to back it up. Like literally nothing.

Example:
Lady has only kept Shubunkin goldfish inside her house and doesn't frequent pond forums or read up on goldfish. Tells someone that their fish will all die in 50 degree temps and if they don't all die, they're very "sad" which is why they don't move and it's "cruel" to try keeping them in such. And she had people backing her up!

What a load of nonsense! 50 degrees is NOTHING to a Shubunkin goldfish. Mine are even active at 50 degrees. Even when they go into a sort of "hibernation" it doesn't mean they are SAD. They perk right back up strong as ever once it warms up.

Those kinds of forums where fish are given human emotions and people who know nothing are allowed to dominate the boards, I don't stay long. And forums where ADMINS/MODS are inactive or know nothing are problematic too, because the spread of misinformation and bickering gets out of control.

I like it here so far and will try to stay active. I joined during the coronavirus quarantine since I am on leave from work... But hope to stay and learn etc.

I'm new here. I have left all of the old forums I used to frequent, save one. A lot of people say things with nothing at all to back it up. Like literally nothing.

Example:
Lady has only kept Shubunkin goldfish inside her house and doesn't frequent pond forums or read up on goldfish. Tells someone that their fish will all die in 50 degree temps and if they don't all die, they're very "sad" which is why they don't move and it's "cruel" to try keeping them in such. And she had people backing her up!

What a load of nonsense! 50 degrees is NOTHING to a Shubunkin goldfish. Mine are even active at 50 degrees. Even when they go into a sort of "hibernation" it doesn't mean they are SAD. They perk right back up strong as ever once it warms up.

Those kinds of forums where fish are given human emotions and people who know nothing are allowed to dominate the boards, I don't stay long. And forums where ADMINS/MODS are inactive or know nothing are problematic too, because the spread of misinformation and bickering gets out of control.

I like it here so far and will try to stay active. I joined during the coronavirus quarantine since I am on leave from work... But hope to stay and learn etc.
I love this forum
In my opinion there are people here that are knowledgeable and would put people on check that gave wrong info! Too bad about the other sites.

This forum is much more knowledgeable than other fish forums I have been on. It is also much less strict.

On another forum I used to visit, I kept having my posts deleted by Moderators, because they my, “Information was incorrect”. (Which it wasn’t, the moderators were rude and they didn’t take kindly to you standing up to them. I tried to ask them to stop, and they kicked me from the forum.) :/

I am incredibly new to this forum, and I plan to stay! This is my first forum I've ever really taken part of, so I can't say for sure what my habits will be once my new fish settles in and I can finally stop hovering over him, but I think I'm a curious enough person that I'll enjoy the fun. Even if I don't offer help (because frankly I don't know that much yet) I think this is a wonderful place to learn

I am incredibly new to this forum, and I plan to stay! This is my first forum I've ever really taken part of, so I can't say for sure what my habits will be once my new fish settles in and I can finally stop hovering over him, but I think I'm we have a curious enough person that I'll enjoy the fun. Even if I don't offer help (because frankly I don't know that much yet) I think this is a wonderful place to learn
Fun... yes we have fun. We have 3 contests.. Fish of the Month, Tank of the Month, and Pet of the Month. Look for banner at top of forums to know when they are running. I hope you will enter the contests. Please vote in our present Fish of the Month contest. Click on banner to view the poll.

I would be more involved here, but after people that I talked to more on this forum left, I just left. I'm only here bc quarantine's got me bored lol.

Welcome, you have very knowledgeable people here and will always aid to help in anyway! I have learnt a lot as well as had a lot of help since joining around 6 months or more ago.

"So many faces in and out of my life,
Some will last,
Some will just be now and then."
Billy Joel, Say Goodbye to Hollywood.

As in life, so it is in Forumlandia. Life has a habit of getting in the way, priorities change, people move on, others take their place. If/when newbies decide to stay, great! It gives those who are deeper-rooted in the forum a chance to get to know them and their fish/pets. Some will just need that one specific question answered, and then go about the rest of their lives. Friendships are formed, then the individuals move on, the remaining friends feel like the forum has changed/isn't the same without their friends, and that there's nothing here for them anymore, and leave themselves. All of that is fine. It's the beating heart of all forums.

The time to worry is when overall visits drop, established members who know their hobby inside out and backside forwards move on, leaving those who are maybe intermediate-level to try the best they can, but struggle. Discussions break down, the number of new threads falls. The number of newbies signing up drops drastically, and the forum becomes a ghost.

That hasn't happened here. Maybe it will in the future, but at the moment, it's still OK. Relax. Let people do what they need to do.

Last edited:
I agree with @Fishmanic. It is fun here, mostly because of the contests we run.

(By the way, if you haven’t voted for the FOTM contest yet, please vote by clicking on the banner at the top right of the forum. ;))

There was a pretty large exodus from the Forum when it was purchased a while back, but all of those members still show up. That, coupled with people leaving the hobby, joining, and leaving again - makes the actual active user number pretty reasonable.

There was a pretty large exodus from the Forum when it was purchased a while back, but all of those members still show up. That, coupled with people leaving the hobby, joining, and leaving again - makes the actual active user number pretty reasonable.
Well you seemed to have been active earlier. You have almost 9,000 messages!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back