A little under 1ppm ammonia after a 100% water change

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Out of interest how much Ammonia have you added to this tank since you started your cycling journey?

His non existent filter bacteria are eating it, having parties, and pooping it out as nitrates :)

Maybe his plants are using it

I reckon he should stop stuffing around with cycling, drain and refill the tank, and get some fish and plants. This has gone on long enough.

His non existent filter bacteria are eating it, having parties, and pooping it out as nitrates :)

I reckon he should stop stuffing around with cycling, drain and refill the tank, and get some fish and plants. This has gone on long enough.

agreed, such a saga.

I'm getting fish today remember? I ordered them from my LPS on Sunday.

The reason many water conditioners contain a chemical to detoxify is ammonia is because of chloramine. They split the chloramine into ammonia and chlorine, remove the chlorine and detoxify the ammonia for 24 to 36 hours. By the time the ammonia detoxifies, the filter bacteria and/or plants will have removed it.

In post #1 you just said 'API stuff' then in post #3 you said you may try and find API Aqua Essentials. What did you use when you refilled the tank?

This is the reason you DO NOT test for amm/ites/ates until 24 hours AFTER a WC.

Seachem Prime (which I believe you are using) converts the harmful ammonia into harmless ammonium; the API test for ammonia does not recognize the difference in the two, thus you will get a positive test for ammonia, even though it is ammonium which is actually present in the tank.

Your BB will consume BOTH ammonia and ammonium, but you must give it time (24 hours) to do so.

You DO NOT need any other chemicals besides a water conditioner; the more chemicals you throw into a tank, the more you complicate matters.

Seachem Prime (which I believe you are using)
No, I use the API water conditioner (thats literally what it says on the bottle). All it does is rid of chlorine and heavy metals.

In post #1 you just said 'API stuff' then in post #3 you said you may try and find API Aqua Essentials. What did you use when you refilled the tank?

I use the API water conditioner (thats literally what it says on the bottle). All it does is rid of chlorine and heavy metals.

It works the same as Prime.
No, API aqua essentials does the same as prime... The one I have just does 2 things. I will show a picture of the bottle

HAND REVEAL!!! lol... This is the water conditioner
0126220851.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back