A little under 1ppm ammonia after a 100% water change

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I was under the impression that the API TWC did the same thing as the "essentials" stuff...I've just read up on both, you are correct

I've only ever used Prime, and have had perfect success with it, no need to try anything else...it makes me wonder why API feels it necessary to have 2 different water conditioners...probably, to make more $

I was under the impression that the API TWC did the same thing as the "essentials" stuff...I've just read up on both, you are correct

I've only ever used Prime, and have had perfect success with it, no need to try anything else...it makes me wonder why API feels it necessary to have 2 different water conditioners...probably, to make more $
I told my mom about it last night and I think she is on board with picking some up when we get the fish... I'm probably going to do the one thats least expensive cause they both have great reviews...

If you used Prime, I could give better advice...others who use the API product(s) will have to advise on those

I use API Tap Water Conditioner and no it does not detoxify ammonia. It splits chloramine, removes the chlorine half and leaves the ammonia half untouched. Since I have chlorine in my tap water, I don't need to detoxify ammonia.

@Rocky998 The ammonia in the water now should be gone by the time you get fish, but you do need Prime or another water conditioner which detoxifies ammonia to use for water changes going forward.

I use API Tap Water Conditioner and no it does not detoxify ammonia. It splits chloramine, removes the chlorine half and leaves the ammonia half untouched. Since I have chlorine in my tap water, I don't need to detoxify ammonia.

@Rocky998 The ammonia in the water now should be gone by the time you get fish, but you do need Prime or another water conditioner which detoxifies ammonia to use for water changes going forward.
I tested the water at 8 something this morning I think and the ammonia was 0 and the nitrites were either under 0.25 or at 0.50... the way the colors are its hard to tell lol

I'd forgotten your problem was nitrite not ammonia. When is it you are getting the gudgeons?

If you can, pick up some Prime at the same time. That detoxifies nitrite for around 24 hours as well. I don't usually suggest using it as a treatment but in this case if you get some I would add a dose to the tank before you put the fish in there.

If you can, pick up some Prime at the same time. That detoxifies nitrite for around 24 hours as well. I don't usually suggest using it as a treatment but in this case if you get some I would add a dose to the tank before you put the fish in there.
Sounds good. Thank you! Im giving the pet store until 11:00 to call and then I will call if they dont (On the phone they said to call if they dont). My mom is already like: "They are not calling" LOL

I'm getting fish today remember? I ordered them from my LPS on Sunday.
Are you taking the fish straight out of the esky the shop gets them in?
Because this is generally safer than having the shop put the new fish in their tanks and then catch them out a few hours later and put them in your tank. The fish end up going through several different water stresses and get chased by shop staff and stuck in a new bag to go to your place.

If you can't take the fish straight from the esky the shop gets them in, then wait a week before getting them so the fish aren't as stressed out. And don't get fish if they have just done water changes on the tank. Get fish the day before they do a water change on their tanks.

You can get the shop to open the bags and put some clean air in, but the less water containers/ tanks the fish are put in, the better.

Because this is generally safer than having the shop put the new fish in their tanks and then catch them out a few hours later and put them in your tank. The fish end up going through several different water stresses and get chased by shop staff and stuck in a new bag to go to your place.

If you can't take the fish straight from the esky the shop gets them in, then wait a week before getting them so the fish aren't as stressed out. And don't get fish if they have just done water changes on the tank. Get fish the day before they do a water change on their tanks.

You can get the shop to open the bags and put some clean air in, but the less water containers/ tanks the fish are put in, the better.
Esky?

They dont hold fish. I special ordered these so they will be in bags...

This is something of a side issue, but since you ask the question it should be answered.

API has been manufacturing their Tap Water Conditioner for several years. It detoxifies chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals. This is the basic, and for probably 90% of aquarists it will be sufficient. Most conditioners do just this; I did find one some years ago that did not mess with heavy metals, but for most they deal with chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals. The benefit of the API over all others is that it is highly concentrated, and that means you use less to do the job.

API is now producing Aqua Essentials, which detoxifies chlorine, chloramine, heavy metals, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. This corresponds to Seachem's Prime, though I have no idea if the two use the same chemicals/process to achieve the claim.

Prime is not the best conditioner, and I will not use it because it messes with things best left alone, and Seachem cannot (or will not) disclose how if asked.

API's Tap Water Conditioner is in my view the best and safest conditioner to use, if you are in the 90% who only have chlorine and/or chloramine to deal with. There is no benefit in adding more chemical substances that increase TDS and may have other impacts on fish long-term. The fewer chemicals and the least amount of the conditioner, the better for the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back