90 Gallon Stocking

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I do plan on getting a somewhat fancy pleco, to go with the red stripes. I figure by the time they are full grown, the local store will have a larger selection of eartheaters. They keep selling out within a couple of days, lol

My lfs got some Redhump Geophagus in, so I will be trading in the two other eartheaters I have now, once the lfs has an open tank.
I also saw a species of fish native to the same region Redhumps were caught in. There were some green severum and some redmouth headstanders. I was thinking one of each, with 4 redhumps (1 male, 3 female). What do you guys think?

Which Redhumps are they Steindachnari or Tapajos Red Head?

In terms of the Severum I'd prefer it if you got a Rotkiel or a Mouth Brooder as Greens and Golds get much bigger and would be better suited to a 150 or 180. With the headstanders do you know which species it is? You are best keeping them in a group as they can be pretty nippy, I'm hoping the one you have seen are Annostomus Ternetzi, I had a school of about 8 for 6-7 years and they were such a good group to keep. If you keep them in low numbers they will be fin nippers and if you keep a small group they will bully each other so best to have at least 6 to keep the peace between them. Really good colours on them too.

Wills

I believe the headstanders are ternetzi, based on looks. I didn't think that I had a big enough tank for a large group (and they only have 3), but seriously fish said a singleton will be okay? They look like very awesome fish.
The redhums are steindachneri for sure. The LFS has them for $22 each, so on payday I was going to pick up the group. The males are already showing colors and that red little bump.

I'd try and get all three of the headstanders in a 90g I think you'll be ok. They are a schooling fish really but fit in this sort of odd ball category where people advise to keep them singularly due to their size, rarity and nippy nature in small numbers.

I'll be honest I've never been a fan of the Steindachnari's them and Pelligrini just are not for me but if you are into them the care is pretty similar to the other Geos we have discussed and at a size of upto 8 inches the 90g will be a good home for them.

Wills

I'd try and get all three of the headstanders in a 90g I think you'll be ok. They are a schooling fish really but fit in this sort of odd ball category where people advise to keep them singularly due to their size, rarity and nippy nature in small numbers.

I'll be honest I've never been a fan of the Steindachnari's them and Pelligrini just are not for me but if you are into them the care is pretty similar to the other Geos we have discussed and at a size of upto 8 inches the 90g will be a good home for them.

Wills
I really appreciate the advice. What caught me on the Steindachneri was that they came right up to the glass and just followed me around. I will for sure avoid the green sev, and try to get all of the headstanders. I just hope they are all still there when payday comes around.

I really appreciate the advice. What caught me on the Steindachneri was that they came right up to the glass and just followed me around. I will for sure avoid the green sev, and try to get all of the headstanders. I just hope they are all still there when payday comes around.
Sounds good, with the Geos it is absolutely down to personal preference in terms of species they are so diverse from Satanoperca through to Brasiliensis.

Wills

Most reactions

Back