38 gallon stocking ideas...any thoughts?

Boundava8 1

Fish Herder
Joined
Jan 23, 2021
Messages
1,309
Reaction score
1,651
Points
113
Location
IL
So I am breaking down my 39 gallon SW tank permanently.

Going to make it freshwater, but am struggling to think of something unique for the tank (tetras are so boring, and I am not paying $30/each for something unique that needs a school of 12).

Looking for any options, ideas, and thoughts from you guys for stocking.
 
A rice fish army
 
While I might have suggested some tetras, I will refrain since you find them boring. :/

A 39g tank with a bunch of nano fish would be awesome and never be boring. Two shoals……one being of Trigonostigma espei (lambchop rasbora) and the second being Sawbwa respendens (rummynose rasbora) with a group of smaller Corycats like panda would be hard to beat. There would be plenty of color, movement through out the tank, and (depending on how many) a low to very low bioload.:nod:
IMG_8305.webp
IMG_2204.webp
 
Nice, I have had the espei before, but not the sawbwa.

If the tank was bigger I would love to get a shoal of Diamond tetra, but the tanks not big enough.

Do like smaller fish tank idea, thanks
 
Last edited:
One less common fish that popped up on my LFS site the other day that I liked the look of was the Snakeskin barb. Probs best kept in a blackwater environment though. As recommended pH is 5.5 to 7.0.
 
Yeah, have wanted them for years but they have been hard to find.
Might be hard with my Lake Michigan water, but I do have a RODI unit .

Was entertaining some more exotic gourami like chocolate or licorice. If I remember correctly they also like the softer blackwaters.
 
Chocolate gouramis aren't accepting of harder water. Neither is the large in numbers licorice group. They are not the easiest fish.

How about a shoal of Iriatherina werneri, the threadfin rainbow? It's a better breeder in soft water, but they seem to do well in harder water. At 140ppm, I used to breed them. The males are good looking, and very fine dancers.

You could keep them with Pseudomugil gertrudae. Those with a scientific bent will get mad if you call them rainbows, but the hobby does. Gertude's blue eye. Pseudomugil luminatus usually cost a bit more than gertrudae, but they are stunners as well.
 
Yeah, have wanted them for years but they have been hard to find.
Might be hard with my Lake Michigan water, but I do have a RODI unit .

Was entertaining some more exotic gourami like chocolate or licorice. If I remember correctly they also like the softer blackwaters.
Very soft and they can be picky also you have to think about the tank mates. A larger fish that is quite a beauty if you go the blackwater route is checkerboard cichild ( dicrossus filamentosus ) or it's cousin the the larger maculatus - i think maculatus is true blackwater and filamentosus is more forgiving but i might have them backwards. They get around 3 1/2 to 4 inches with the males in breeding dress among the most beautiful wild caught fish you can find. Truly stunning. However they are not a novice fish that can take much abuse or bad water.

A 38 is a nice size for them and you could keep them with some passive galaxy otto one of the few otto like fish that can enjoy the warmer temps they require at around 83. the only tetra i can think of that works at the warmer temps are cardinals.
 
Last edited:
Very soft and they can be picky also you have to think about the tank mates. A larger fish that is quite a beauty if you go the blackwater route is checkerboard cichild ( dicrossus filamentosus ) or it's cousin the the larger maculatus - i think maculatus is true blackwater and filamentosus is more forgiving but i might have them backwards. They get around 3 1/2 to 4 inches with the males in breeding dress among the most beautiful wild caught fish you can find. Truly stunning. However they are not a novice fish that can take much abuse or bad water.

A 38 is a nice size for them and you could keep them with some passive galaxy otto one of the few otto like fish that can enjoy the warmer temps they require at around 83. the only tetra i can think of that works at the warmer temps are cardinals.
Wow I am loving the suggestion for the dicrossus filamentosus. Will be looking more into them, thank you!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top