38 gallon stocking ideas...any thoughts?

And don't forget the biotope btw does your class have a class aquarium ?
No. I used to have a couple classroom tanks, but I work in two buildings on opposite sides of town, and it was just too hard to keep up on maintenance.
 
You could do what I do and pick a region of the world that interests you, research what aquatic critters live there, and build a tank to house them.
That’s a good idea ! Guys are always trying to come up with ideas for decorating or aquascaping aquariums and the solution is staring you right in the face . Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine runs an issue once a year where some outfit has a contest for these regional aquascapes and the winner is rarely what you’d call house beautiful , instead it’s interesting.
And herein is an idea for a TFF aquarium of the month contest too !
 
That’s a good idea ! Guys are always trying to come up with ideas for decorating or aquascaping aquariums and the solution is staring you right in the face . Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine runs an issue once a year where some outfit has a contest for these regional aquascapes and the winner is rarely what you’d call house beautiful , instead it’s interesting.
And herein is an idea for a TFF aquarium of the month contest too !
@connorlindeman How about an "Ugly but Interesting" themed TOTM contest? :lol:
 
So going with biotope theme; Sis and I want to go with Lake Tanganyika.
We have decided we like the idea of a tank of dwarf cichlids. We were at Aquatic Imports in WI and saw some Julidochromis and fell in love with them-but didn't know at the time that the 38 would implode. They had the j. dickfeldi (no longer in stock) but reading about them we like the j. ornatus as well, so its a matter of when and which one comes in stock. If we don't find it at a store then the Greater Chicago Cichlid society has a swap in September and they have 1 or two breeders listed on their member site so maybe they will have some on hand.

We were thinking of some small shellies from the same region.
I am hoping for the Lamprologus ocellatus as they are small (2.3") and peaceful community shellies, plus they burry the shells in the sand and build a tube entrance.
Alternately Neolamprologus brevis are an option and seem to be more common. They are a little larger at 2.4" for males. However males are more territorial, and it is recommended to have 3 female to 1 male. Crux is, as juvis they are hard to sex so I will have to buy more and select the ratios later.

I love plants but might not put plants in the tank, as I would have to get ones for hardwater. Though there are a couple hardwater crypts I maybe able to find...lol.
If not, I will use something out of tank; like I have the pothos set up on my 125.
 
I love crypts, and fortunately the majority also love hardwater so its going to be a matter of looking to be which will be best for nutrients and breaking up sightlines. Of course seeing which are more readily available is an option as well.
Its not like I can buy the crypts in advance and plant them later as there is crypt melt. I don't usually experience it, but also don't want to chance it.

Since the hardwater makes water parameters extremely important, I won't be using the Fluval 207 on the tank. We have a small Eheim Pro that I will use instead. My Sis's friend brought it as well as a 45 gallon (unfortunately the bracing is broken in multiple locations so its will be a terrestrial tank) so bigger is definitely better.

I also have the Eheim classic 2211 and 2217 filters, but will have to dig to see if I have the valves and attachments for them, not to mention the hoses. Its been 5-ish years since I used the classic canister filters, but I am a (unfortunate) hoarder with fish supplies.
 
Last edited:
“A 38 gallon gives you a lot of flexibility honestly. I’d probably go with a centerpiece fish + smaller schooling fish instead of overstocking. A pair of honey gouramis with ember tetras and some corys would look awesome in a planted setup.”
 
In my experience, Vallisneria does well in hard water...and I bet it's found in Lake Tanganyika. It's found everywhere. :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top