55Gal Goal Is Planted, Peaceful

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Ha ha! Awesome! Mine all rush to the feeding corner when I walk into the room. They have me trained pretty well so far, although I am making an effort to reform.

A LFS had a pot of giant hair grass, so of course, I HAD to get it! Also got a lace leaf plant, which I've been wanting but couldn't find for the longest. Hopefully the lace leaf will do okay. I've read they can be difficult. I put it under the banana plant lily pads for a little shade. I guess we'll see.

I put the giant hair grass in front of the filter intake tube and removed the artificial plant that I had in that location. I'm not sure if that will end up being a good idea. It may block the intake too much, preventing debris from getting into the filter. I'll keep an eye on it. I can always move it if I need to. I was surprised at how firm the grass blades are. They are more like thin wire than soft grass. Very interesting. I hope it does well.

So, that just leaves one artificial plant (over near the heater). I plan to remove it soon. I just put it in to protect real plants from getting burned on the heater, but I am going to move the heater next the intake tube anyway (closer to the middle of the tank). Additionally, it also helped to fill things out while the plants were growing, but now that things are started to get fuller and taller, I don't need it for that purpose either.

I trimmed off two banana plant leaves. They were getting quite large and were blocking my view of other things behind. I had mixed feelings about removing the large leaves, but I'm sure others will get large too. The banana plants are producing lily pads like crazy. I think there are 10 or so right now. I'll probably have to remove a few soon before they block all the light from the plants below. The long stems do make interesting shapes in the water because they are long. It seems that the banana plants keep letting the stem get longer even after the lily pad reaches the surface. I have to untangle them after every water change and when I move plants around or reach into the aquarium for any reason, the lily pads stick to my arms. I do really like these plants though. They are super-fast growing, have interesting shapes from the roots to the leaves to the lily pads, and are providing cover for the gouramis. One "banana" on one of the plants is starting to look a little yellow on the tip. I'm not sure if this is normal or what the lifespan is for these plants. I'll have to do some research. I think I read that they are not long-lived, but I also read that they are slow growers and that has not been the case for me at all. If these go, I will definitely get more. Maybe I can propagate them. More research! :)

Some of the plants in the pictures above have grown even since I posted those just last week (9 days ago). Plant pictures are like baby pictures. By the time you post a picture, the subject has grown and the picture is out of date!
photo.gif

It's been a bit since I've posted an update. I have developed two problems that are worrying me. Well, three things really, but the third is just cosmetic.

1. I've had the pearl gouramis about 3 months now (got them end of March/beginning of April). At first I thought I had 1 male and 4 females and now I think I have at least 3 males. Two developed their male fins and coloration fairly soon after I got them home but one has kind of lingered with a tiny amount of fringe. For about the past week or two though, the fringe suddenly seems to me to be a bit longer, the dorsal fin to be a bit longer and pointier, and the behavior has changed a bit. It is more aggressive towards the two pearls that still look like females, and the 2 males have been more aggressive towards it. It even has a small rip in the anal fin. If I have three or more males, I don't know what I am going to do. I would like to set up another tank (maybe just a small 30 or 40 gallon) but the husband is still resisting due to time, money, and space (mostly space). He does see how happy I am when pursuing this hobby though so maybe I can wear him down.
    shifty.gif
  2. I have white flecks in my water. I posted a separate thread about this and based on the advise I got from Far King, I have a few things to try. It may just be fine particles of sand.
  3. I don't love the look of the tank. I kind of just threw in every plant I could find to see what would grow and what wouldn't. I figured much of it wouldn't survive and I would be able to rescape what I had left, but almost everything has grown. Certain things have done less well than others, but very little has completely died. So now I have a jungle of plants and I am very hesitant to rescape lest I stress the fish and kill the plants. If only I had another tank to scape, I could just pull out a few plants here and there to thin out the current tank without stressing the fish too much. Then, once the other tank was set up and established, I could move one or two gouramis. Yeah. Time to work on the hubs...

Seriously though, if anyone has any advise about any of this, I would be more than happy to hear it. Later, I will post some pics of the tank so that you can see what I mean about it looking unkempt and jungley.

Some new pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20160627_220822.jpg
    IMG_20160627_220822.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20160627_212251803.jpg
    IMG_20160627_212251803.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20160627_212349316.jpg
    IMG_20160627_212349316.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20160627_212411156.jpg
    IMG_20160627_212411156.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20160628_111736.jpg
    IMG_20160628_111736.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_20160628_111902.jpg
    IMG_20160628_111902.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 171
Wow your tank has come a very long way since the beginning of the thread

Sorry I dont know anything so I am unable to offer any advice, but your tank looks a little foresty to me and perhaps a trim would make it more aesthetically pleasing though each to their own I say!

I think part of the problem is that there are so many different shapes. Each leaf shape is different, each overall plant shape is different, and the hardscape features all have different shapes. It is just higgledy-piggeldy. I did try to balance things, for example, I put water sprite on one side and wisteria on the other since they are both fluffy and fine-leaved; and I put tall thin grasses on each side as well. Unfortunately, the eel grass (on the right side but not visible in the photos above) is not doing well (I have since read it likes hard water - oops). I have giant hair grass for tall thin height as well (and to hide the filter intake and heater), but because it is stiff rather than flowing, I don't necessarily see it as being a good visual balance balance to the wavy tall grass on the left. 

I like certain sections individually (like the way certain pieces at the top create an arch, and the red-orange of the rock behind the laceleaf plant) but these elements do not stand out because there are so many elements. If there were no fish it would be easier, but the fish like the plants at the top, so I can't do too much cutting or I take away the shelter and hiding spots from the pearl gouramis in particular.

I am thinking about removing both pieces of anacharis (one on a piece of driftwood on the left and one on the cave). The leaf structure is more hard-edged and stark, while most everything else has a softer, more flowing look. That is, admittedly, a rather small start, but I don't think the fish would appreciate a major overhaul anyway.

I am still very interested in hearing opinions on what I could do to improve the overall look without traumatizing the fish. The welfare of the fish is paramount, of course, and when a decision has to be made between aesthetics and what the fish like, the fish win every time.
fish.gif
yes.gif

BeckyCats said:
I think part of the problem is that there are so many different shapes. Each leaf shape is different, each overall plant shape is different, and the hardscape features all have different shapes. It is just higgledy-piggeldy. I did try to balance things, for example, I put water sprite on one side and wisteria on the other since they are both fluffy and fine-leaved; and I put tall thin grasses on each side as well. Unfortunately, the eel grass (on the right side but not visible in the photos above) is not doing well (I have since read it likes hard water - oops). I have giant hair grass for tall thin height as well (and to hide the filter intake and heater), but because it is stiff rather than flowing, I don't necessarily see it as being a good visual balance balance to the wavy tall grass on the left. 

I am still very interested in hearing opinions on what I could do to improve the overall look without traumatizing the fish. The welfare of the fish is paramount, of course, and when a decision has to be made between aesthetics and what the fish like, the fish win every time.
fish.gif
yes.gif

Can I just say, your tank is stunning! Soo many different components 
wub.png

wub.png
 I'd keep it like this, it looks so vibrant and healthy! There are other approaches though if you're looking for more balance!! Have you ever heard of Dutch aquascaping? If you are looking for a less "higgledy-piggledy" this might be an approach to take some inspiration from. Using neat rows and single species groups of plants of varying textures and colours to create eye-catching focal points! I guess its all down to your set up, lighting, nutrients CO2 dosing etc. A mix between your current scape and a Dutch scape would give your fish a diverse habitat with lots of cover, like you have now, whilst maybe having more focal points for aesthetic purposes 
flowers.gif

Looks great.

My advice is to just let it grow wild especially along the back something like Amazon sword, Only think about pruning when the fish tap on the glass asking for a chain saw, But thats just me.

fishmad135 said:

Can I just say, your tank is stunning! Soo many different components 
wub.png

wub.png
 I'd keep it like this, it looks so vibrant and healthy! There are other approaches though if you're looking for more balance!! Have you ever heard of Dutch aquascaping? If you are looking for a less "higgledy-piggledy" this might be an approach to take some inspiration from. Using neat rows and single species groups of plants of varying textures and colours to create eye-catching focal points! I guess its all down to your set up, lighting, nutrients CO2 dosing etc. A mix between your current scape and a Dutch scape would give your fish a diverse habitat with lots of cover, like you have now, whilst maybe having more focal points for aesthetic purposes 
flowers.gif
Thank you so much! I have been meaning to look up Dutch aquascaping but haven't gotten around to it. You have reinvigorated my curiosity on it. In the pictures I have seen, I notice more red plants, which I have been interested in but have read that red plants require more light and co2, and I don't use co2. But maybe when I research further, I will find some overall strategies that I can use. Thank you for your considered reply. I really appreciate your input. :)

NickAu said:
Looks great.

My advice is to just let it grow wild especially along the back something like Amazon sword, Only think about pruning when the fish tap on the glass asking for a chain saw, But thats just me.
rofl.gif
Hilarious! 

My husband was looking at the tank a few weeks ago and asked if maybe it wasn't getting out of hand. He said, "I know you said the fish like places to hide, but don't they want places to swim around too?" After pointing out that there is room to swim around, I said that different fish have different needs but none of mine are zoom-around sorts. Besides, what do you see the fish doing most often, swimming around in the open or swimming around in the thickest parts of the plants? As we were talking, we were looking at the tank and you could only see maybe 3 fish because most were among the plants. The pearl gouramis have started hanging out more at the top now that there is so much growth up there.

I guess I'll keep it the way it is for now. Maybe once I get another aquarium I can transplant some of the plants that are feeling "off" in this one.

BeckyCats said:
Thank you so much! I have been meaning to look up Dutch aquascaping but haven't gotten around to it. You have reinvigorated my curiosity on it. In the pictures I have seen, I notice more red plants, which I have been interested in but have read that red plants require more light and co2, and I don't use co2. But maybe when I research further, I will find some overall strategies that I can use. Thank you for your considered reply. I really appreciate your input.
smile.png

I'm not sure if you've seen my thread but I have red plants which are doing surprisingly well with only a 1ml addition of Easycarbo every other day! But yes I do understand what you mean, dutch scapes like you see on google are needy af! 
Excited to see how your tank matures, your pearl gourami are to die for!!!
wub.png

wub.png

NickAu said:
Looks great.

Okay, so I think they might need that chainsaw. These pictures were taken AFTER I pruned. Looking at the pictures from just 7 weeks ago, I am surprised at how much the water sprite and wisteria have grown. The lace leaf is still doing well so far, which makes me happy. I had read that they can be difficult, so I am pleased that so far it seems to like where it is.

All of the inhabitants are still doing well also. 3 of the pearl gouramis have developed full male fins. 2 are still not as fully developed, but I suspect they may be both males as well. My initial hopes of having 1 male and 4 females, then 2 males and 3 females, have now been dashed. So far however, they are still behaving relatively well with each other. It is interesting to me that they show no interest whatsoever in any of the other fish species. Only their own.

I posted this in another thread, but I had an accidental baby cory born. The peppered cories were doing what they do and put eggs everywhere. I thought they all got eaten over the next few days, but apparently one baby managed to hatch and then get sucked up into the filter where it survived until I dumped it into the sink while cleaning the filter. I was never so surprised as I was to see a little black wiggly lump come flopping out of the filter into the sink. I scooped it up and put it in the tank and it is still doing just fine. It is now big enough to swim with the other peppereds. :)

My assassin seems to be doing its job now. I have noticed empty snail shells littering the surface of the sand, so I suspect that is Assassin's work and not just random snail deaths.

The flame tetras are still not especially close to each other but they still insist on knowing what everyone else is doing. The lone one that I got from the pet store that got it in by accident (it came in with their shipment of guppies), has turned out to be a flame tetra after all. I thought he was the kind without stripes, but now that he has grown a bit, he has developed the stripes after all. So, all's well that ends well, right? :)

Attachments

• tank8-15-16.jpg
    tank8-15-16.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 146
  • tank18-15-16.jpg
    tank18-15-16.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 162
  • tank28-15-16.jpg
    tank28-15-16.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 171
absolutely stunning tanks, inspirational! very open yet natural-like, at my old job I used to sell assassin snails, once you put 5-10 in there in about 2 weeks you'll have like 80-100 or so, to many to count. they definitely do there work though! and there cool lol but aren't all fish and snails? XD
anyway, very pretty tank! keep updating, love reading this!

What kind of plants are those?

More fish begging for food

I think it looks great. And with that many plants water quality shouldn't be a problem.

So, the cories have been busy this summer. They keep laying eggs and some of the fry get sucked into the filter intake (HOB filter) and living in the filter. I remove them when I see them and got a nylon breeder net to put them in until they are large enough not to be sucked into the filter again. So far, there are 2 little peppered cories swimming about with the others in the main tank, 2 peppered cories that are in the breeder net, almost big enough to go in the main tank, and 8 or 9 (had trouble counting because they kept moving) bronze cory fry that are teeny tiny (only days old judging from when the latest batch of eggs was laid. At least I think they are bronze cories. It was the bronze cories that I saw laying eggs this time and the fry look much paler than the peppered cory fry did. I wonder if they will be the albino or bronze. I have 2 of each and apparently, 1 each of male and female of bronze and albino. They did seem to mating together also, and I assume that albinism needs 2 albino parents. The albino pair mated as well, so who knows? If any of the fry survive, I guess I'll find out as they grow. I must say, I did not expect that cories would actually successfully breed in my tank. I thought that fish breeding was more complicated than just cleaning out your filter and dumping offspring into a breeding net! At least they aren't as prolific as mollies! LOL

On a more depressing note, one of my pearl gouramis died. I was so upset. It turns out that I was not lucky and that all 5 turned out to be male. I had so hoped most would be female, but none of them are. There is no question about it anymore. They have grown into their fins and it is now obvious. 5 males is just too many for a 55 gallon (~208 liter?). I have lots of plants and places for them to hide from each other but The Boss seeks out the others and chases them. There is another one (the second largest) that also picks on the smaller ones. The one that died, I believe died from stress from being picked on. He showed no signs of illness but he had missing scales in the spots where the others pecked at him. Honestly, I feel dreadful. I am still considering taking 2 of them back to PetCo where I got them. The manager had said he would take them back if needed. I just hate to do that knowing that it is stressful for them. Also, the idea of netting fish in this tank is a nightmare. What do you guys think? I'm going to post this question in another link also, where I had asked whether they were male or female (back when they all looked more alike), since there were people on that link that had kept pearls before.

On the plant front, everything still seems to be doing fairly well. I bought a book called Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad. It answers a lot of questions I had about why my tank is so low-maintenance compared to others without plants and why, despite possible overfeeding, I do not have problems with ammonia, nitrates, or nitrites. If I do convince the husband that I need another tank (he objects due to space) then I am considering a dirted tank.

I have really been thinking about a large tank for the basement. I love oscars but I have read that they eat plants. I don't know if I would like a tank with no plants. I wouldn't even know what to do with it.

Most reactions

Back