55Gal Goal Is Planted, Peaceful

I have a stocking question. Hopefully this is the right place to post it. I have been wondering if I should add more peppered corydoras. I currently have 2 peppered and 4 Bronze (2 of which are regular colored, and 2 of which are albino). I thought I was doing alright getting 6 corys but I think the peppered corys are different enough in size and habit that they may appreciate more of their own company. I am concerned about being overstocked though. Also, would be a bad idea to add more flame tetras? I had intended to get at least 10 but I only have 6. Should I get 4 -5 more or just leave it as-is?

So, the question is: do I have room for 3 or 4 more corys and/or 4 - 5 more flame tetras? My filter is an Aqueon 55/75, 400 gph. Current stock: 5 pearl gouramis; 6 flame tetras; 2 peppered corys; 4 bronze corys; 2 stiphondon atropurpureus.

Part 2 of this question is: will the quality of life of the corys and flame tetras be improved enough to justify the increased bioload?

Part 3: will the increased activity of the larger number of flame tetras be stressful to the gouramis? If so, I'll leave the flames at their current population levels.

If I should post this as a separate question elsewhere, please let me know.

Thank you.

DoubleDutch said:
What was the tanksize again Becky?

its in the thread title.  
wink.png

Becky...

Its always best to have shoaling fish in proper numbers of their own species whenever possible.  So, adding more peppered (and even more bronze) would be a good thing.  6 is the normal number for minimum, but the more, the better (and that goes for all shoalers!) whenever you have the space for them.  More of a given single species actually makes for a much better display than a handful of a whole bunch of species.

First the corys: I read that 6 is the minimum number of corys. I thought the peppered and bronze would be 6 together, but their behavior suggests to me otherwise. So, I am fully convinced that the peppereds need friends but I don't want to overstock. I don't really think 4 more would make that much difference at the bottom, but I am really afraid of overstocking the tank and would appreciate opinions on how heavily stocked I am right now. I will absolutely get at least one more. Just one can't wreak that much havoc on the bioload. But can the tank handle 4 more?

Flame tetras: Online sources suggest 6-10 as a minimum. I have 6. I originally planned on 10 or 12, but then I got 5 pearl gouramis. The pearls seem okay with the tetras but pearls are, like everyone says, timid, and I don't want to freak them out with more neighbors. Although, maybe they don't care and I'm being overly cautious. However, the whole issue is moot if I would be overstocked. The cories are the priority, but if possible, I would like to get the tetras more of their own. They chase each other around but not the other species. They look at everyone, but don't bother them. I think they would appreciate more of their own to chase, but it seems like that would be pushing the population level too far.

What do you think? The maximum number I am talking about adding is 8 fish: 4 peppered cories and 4 flame tetras. The minimum would be 1 - 4 cories.

You have 5 pearls gouramis, 6 flame tetras, and 6 cories right now?   If that's all you have... add the extra flames to get to 9 or 11 (I think odd numbers look best), and add 3 more bronze and 5 more peppereds...  

5 pearls
9-11 flame tetra
7 bronze cories
7 peppered cories

That's not 'overstocked'.  That's merely 'heavily stocked' in a 55 gal (4 foot long) tank.  And with a heavily planted tank, you can get away with a bit more stock.  To counter this, increase the size of your water changes... weekly 50% would certainly get the job done and you'd have nothing to worry about.  

Wow! That's awesome! I also have the 2 stiphodons, but they are tiny and don't bother anyone. They also don't seem to care about the others.

I usually do weekly water changes anywhere between 30% - 50%, depending on how things look. I think I still might be overfeeding. I am so afraid for them to starve. It is so hard to look at something that is unable to provide for itself, and deny it food. Especially when it's looking so hopefully at me. I know the dangers of overfeeding though, so I'm trying to get it right.

Especially when it's looking so hopefully at me
You should see Bettas beg, I think they go to school to learn how to beg.

Ha ha!! Our Betta (in a 10 gallon tank, not this one) hasn't really been much of a begger so far. But that might be because he actually eats small pond snails so isn't as hungry as he might be otherwise. Got to love a fish that eats those blasted pond snails! :)

Get him a few Red Cherry shrimp to hunt.

eaglesaquarium said:
What was the tanksize again Becky?

its in the thread title.  
wink.png

Becky...

Its always best to have shoaling fish in proper numbers of their own species whenever possible.  So, adding more peppered (and even more bronze) would be a good thing.  6 is the normal number for minimum, but the more, the better (and that goes for all shoalers!) whenever you have the space for them.  More of a given single species actually makes for a much better display than a handful of a whole bunch of species.

OMG excuses. My only (bad) excuse I am using Tapatalk on my cellphone !!!

I'd say you could easily add some Corys without problems. I am keeping more in all my tanks.

Regards Aad

BeckyCats said:
Wow! That's awesome! I also have the 2 stiphodons, but they are tiny and don't bother anyone. They also don't seem to care about the others.

I usually do weekly water changes anywhere between 30% - 50%, depending on how things look. I think I still might be overfeeding. I am so afraid for them to starve. It is so hard to look at something that is unable to provide for itself, and deny it food. Especially when it's looking so hopefully at me. I know the dangers of overfeeding though, so I'm trying to get it right.

That's really a hard thing to have happen most of the time.  If they are taking food, they rarely ever starve.  They don't need as much food as a warm-blooded animal.  My fish go days without food on occasion.  They can be fasted for a week (assuming they are healthy beforehand) with no adverse effects.  Ultimately, we overfeed far more than we ever underfeed our fish.  

Remember too, that many of the fish we keep also graze upon microscopic fauna in our tanks (especially in planted tanks) that we can't even see.  So, don't fret too much about them not getting enough.  Just make sure that when you are feeding that you see all of them eating.  It doesn't take much food for them to be satisfied (though, you can't tell by their demeanor!  They are gluttons, but that doesn't mean they NEED more food).

So, I tried extra hard to not overfeed and judging by my guilt level, I think I succeeded. They give me those eyes! The "that's it?" eyes. I just remind myself that I am NOT starving them, no matter what they seem to be telling me.

You wanna see begging for food? Try saying no to this.
My clown Loaches begging for food These guys are almost as good at guilt tripping you into feeding them as Bettas and Live Bearers.

Do these guys seem under fed? No, Are they trying to make you think they are starving? Yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE6p9KqzmVM

Oh, I LOVE them!! Now I know that my future big tank will have to have clown loaches. What charming swimming! Although, I'm not sure I could resist giving the teensiest bit of food. Just a crumb, I swear!! :D

More fish begging for food

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fAE4W3ix1o

Most reactions

Back