55 Gallon Tank Started Cycling Today :)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

redtailshark34

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Today I officially began cycling my 55 gallon tank. Iā€™m excited to see how the next month or so goes! (I have to finish the doors on the stand).
CADFCCB4-F19A-4AD9-8826-D23F27FA73E2.jpeg

Welcome to TFF. Lots of helpful knowledgeable members here to answer any questions you may have. You might want to add a background to the rear of the tank. It makes fish feel more secure.

Welcome to TFF. Lots of helpful knowledgeable members here to answer any questions you may have. You might want to add a background to the rear of the tank. It makes fish feel more secure.
Okay thank you! Iā€™m very open to suggestions about what to add. I will look into getting one.

Did you build the stand from scratch? Was it a knockdown kit?
You can even tape trash bags to the rear glass as a background. Will definitely improve the overall look of your tank.

Did you build the stand from scratch? Was it a knockdown kit?
You can even tape trash bags to the rear glass as a background. Will definitely improve the overall look of your tank.
I purchased the stand off of wayfair. It was perfect. Holds up to 800lbs and it came with storage and delivered within 2 days. Solid wood and super sturdy. I did have to follow some instructions for assembly, not too bad plus I got it on sale. The reviews were also very nice and it is very large and convenient. I definitely will be adding a background though, whether I make it myself or not.

Tested water for the first time today.
Ammonia: 0.5 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
*Used API Freshwater Master Test Kit

Have you added any ammonia to start the cycle yet or is that ammonia reading the same as your tap water?

Have you added any ammonia to start the cycle yet or is that ammonia reading the same as your tap water?
Yes, thank you for the advice on my other post:)
Day Four readings:
ammonia: 3 ppm nitrite: 0 nitrate: 0 pH: 7.4

That sounds as though you are right at the satrt of the cycle. It took 21 days for ammonia to drop when I did a fishless cycle, so it is now a question of waiting.

That sounds as though you are right at the satrt of the cycle. It took 21 days for ammonia to drop when I did a fishless cycle, so it is now a question of waiting.
Okay, I will keep posting updates as time goes on.

Awesome! It feels great to finally get a tank setup. :)

Make sure to keep us posted! @Essjay can answer any and all questions you have related to cycling. :)

Welcome to TFF, cute pups in your avatar...

Quick question, Iā€™m still adding Dr Tims Ammonia Chloride but I also have a bottle of nitrifying bacteria starter and was wondering if I add this in at all, or not to.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back