55 Gallon Tank Started Cycling Today :)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The bottled bacteria will speed up the cycle, so yes if you have it add it.

Looking back, on Sunday you had 3 ppm ammonia and 0 nitrite. So ammonia has dropped slightly and nitrite has appeared. The cycle has started but you still need to be patient. You'll probably find it takes longer for nitrite to drop to zero than it does for ammonia.

Looking back, on Sunday you had 3 ppm ammonia and 0 nitrite. So ammonia has dropped slightly and nitrite has appeared. The cycle has started but you still need to be patient. You'll probably find it takes longer for nitrite to drop to zero than it does for ammonia.
Ok thank you. Is it also normal for the water to turn cloudy?

Yes it is. It's called a bacterial bloom, very common in newly set up tanks. These bacteria are not the ones we want to grow though. The bloom bacteria feed on organic (carbon based) food rather than ammonia/nitrite (nitrogen based food) and they live floating free in the water. They also multiply a lot faster than the bacteria we want to grow.
As soon as dechlorinated water is put in a tank, this allows bacteria to multiply. There are organics in tap water and in the tank itself (for example, plasticiser in all the plastic things). So now the bloom bacteria have plenty food, and no chlorine to inhibit them so they multiply and multiply. Because they live in the water we can see them as the cloudiness.
Once they have eaten all the available food, they'll die off and the water will clear. But because every tank is different it is impossible to say how long this will take.

Yes it is. It's called a bacterial bloom, very common in newly set up tanks. These bacteria are not the ones we want to grow though. The bloom bacteria feed on organic (carbon based) food rather than ammonia/nitrite (nitrogen based food) and they live floating free in the water. They also multiply a lot faster than the bacteria we want to grow.
As soon as dechlorinated water is put in a tank, this allows bacteria to multiply. There are organics in tap water and in the tank itself (for example, plasticiser in all the plastic things). So now the bloom bacteria have plenty food, and no chlorine to inhibit them so they multiply and multiply. Because they live in the water we can see them as the cloudiness.
Once they have eaten all the available food, they'll die off and the water will clear. But because every tank is different it is impossible to say how long this will take.
Nice to know! Thank you so much :)

Ammonia hasn't dropped since Wednesday?
What temp is the tank?

It does take a long time for ammonia to drop, and my cycle did few odd things as well.

Ammonia dropped slightly on day 4, then was back up again on day 7, then dropped slightly again on day 16 with a hint of nitrite (lower than 0.25), then back up on day 21 with still only the tiniest hint of nitrite. It was day 28 when ammonia finally dropped to almost zero and nitrite shot up from a trace on day 26 to over 5 ppm on day 28 (I was testing every 2 days at this point out of sheer frustration)

Don't worry too much over exact readings, when things start to move they'll go quickly.

It does take a long time for ammonia to drop, and my cycle did few odd things as well.

Ammonia dropped slightly on day 4, then was back up again on day 7, then dropped slightly again on day 16 with a hint of nitrite (lower than 0.25), then back up on day 21 with still only the tiniest hint of nitrite. It was day 28 when ammonia finally dropped to almost zero and nitrite shot up from a trace on day 26 to over 5 ppm on day 28 (I was testing every 2 days at this point out of sheer frustration)

Don't worry too much over exact readings, when things start to move they'll go quickly.
Sounds like it was very fun for you ? Once again thank you for sharing, I like to post updates because many give insight on here that is useful and helps to expand my better knowledge of fish keeping so my fish can be as happy and healthy as possible :)

I will also be posting an update photo of the tank soon, I’ve put a lot more plants in it.
Here’s what I got:
4 Hornwort
3 anubias nana
1/4 lb duckweed
2 amazon sword
4 bacopa
I also have a background that is coming soon. It’s a plain black one that is a reversible blue.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back