55 Gallon Tank Started Cycling Today :)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I also have some moss balls that I picked up that I would like to add, however I don’t know if I should wait until or after cycling.

Not yet. Wait till you have zero ammonia, then zero ammonia again 2 days later. Then add enough ammonia to get 1 ppm.

With plants in the tank, you may find that ammonia drops quickly as the plants become established and take it up. But they won't turn it into nitrite. You'll probably get some nitrite as the ammonia eating bacteria remove some of the ammonia but not as much nitrite as you'd get in an unplanted tank.
You won't get as much nitrate as an unplanted tank either.

Not yet. Wait till you have zero ammonia, then zero ammonia again 2 days later. Then add enough ammonia to get 1 ppm.

With plants in the tank, you may find that ammonia drops quickly as the plants become established and take it up. But they won't turn it into nitrite. You'll probably get some nitrite as the ammonia eating bacteria remove some of the ammonia but not as much nitrite as you'd get in an unplanted tank.
You won't get as much nitrate as an unplanted tank either.
Okay thank you! I will be sure to follow this.

It's getting there, just slowly.

Test again in 2 days and see what the readings are then.

Now add 3 ppm ammonia and test tomorrow. If both are zero again, the cycle is finished.

Now add 3 ppm ammonia and test tomorrow. If both are zero again, the cycle is finished.
Too lazy to go back and look, but what ammonia dosage did the OP originally start with?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back