40g breeder plans...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

The best procedure would be to set up the new tank, get all non-gudgeon fish in it, and then add all gudgeons at once. This means not putting the pair in until you add the new ones, but the QT is I assume the existing gudgeon tank? If not, then this is not an issue as you could leave the pair where they are, QT the new group in their own tank, then add both groups to the 40g.
Ok... So here's the deal.
I have a 20 gallon high with the peacocks on there. A 20 gallon.
THEN sitting right BESIDE the 20 high I have a 10 gallon that I used for the fry...
I'm tearing down the TEN gallon TODAY. THEN, when I get the 40g, I will set up the TEN gallon at the END of the place its sitting on and tear down the TWENTY gallon, moving the 2 gudgeons into the smaller TEN gallon.
After that I will put the FORTY gallon where the TWENTY gallon USED to be.
Therefore when u have the FORTY AND TWENTY set up, I will still ONLY have TWO tanks. NOT three, as we don't have space.

(The caps were just to emphasize points, I'm not yelling through messages lol)

Peacock goby. I have seen those once before. Ok, thank you @Essjay
I thought you asked me on my profile... I responded and gave you the scientific name...
Also, not being rude or cocky when bringing this up, but their not scientifically considered gobies as they do not have the certain special features that make a goby a goby.
They are part of the gudgeon family instead, but commonly confused as a goby by many

Ok... So here's the deal.
I have a 20 gallon high with the peacocks on there. A 20 gallon.
THEN sitting right BESIDE the 20 high I have a 10 gallon that I used for the fry...
I'm tearing down the TEN gallon TODAY. THEN, when I get the 40g, I will set up the TEN gallon at the END of the place its sitting on and tear down the TWENTY gallon, moving the 2 gudgeons into the smaller TEN gallon.
After that I will put the FORTY gallon where the TWENTY gallon USED to be.
Therefore when u have the FORTY AND TWENTY set up, I will still ONLY have TWO tanks. NOT three, as we don't have space.

(The caps were just to emphasize points, I'm not yelling through messages lol)

OK, this is what I was getting at in my last post.

On another related point, are you intending using a QT for all new fish, cories, etc?

On another related point, are you intending using a QT for all new fish, cories, etc?
That's what the 10g was going to be for. I was only going to move the gudgeons into the 10g for a week or so as I get the 40 ready to be inhabited

That's what the 10g was going to be for. I was only going to move the gudgeons into the 10g for a week or so as I get the 40 ready to be inhabited

Dealing only with the gudgeons...I would add all of them, the existing pair and the new gudgeons, to the 40g at the same time. I would not add the new gudgeons to the tank with the existing gudgeons. Introducing them to one another in a totally new environment can work sometimes. This might avoid territorial issues. I know not all of us can do what may be the best practice, but this would in my view be preferable here, given the fish.

Dealing only with the gudgeons...I would add all of them, the existing pair and the new gudgeons, to the 40g at the same time. I would not add the new gudgeons to the tank with the existing gudgeons. Introducing them to one another in a totally new environment can work sometimes. This might avoid territorial issues. I know not all of us can do what may be the best practice, but this would in my view be preferable here, given the fish.
It's only two gudgeons. They shouldn't be aggressive against a group of corydoras. My thinking was to add the two gudgeons I have now to the 40g first and then all the NON-gudgeon fish after. THEN I'd at the extra gudgeons after that... But it may get dicey with the gudgeon pair and then the other gudgeons... But if I add like 3 extra gudgeons at once, they should team up as a group and they'll all work it out... There will be plenty of caves and "boundaries" in this tank I'll be setting up so they may quarrel a little, but they should work it out just fine with all the different places there will be.

I thought you asked me on my profile... I responded and gave you the scientific name...
Also, not being rude or cocky when bringing this up, but their not scientifically considered gobies as they do not have the certain special features that make a goby a goby.
They are part of the gudgeon family instead, but commonly confused as a goby by many
I may have missed your reply. I have been working a lot and not on the site much, thank you

I may have missed your reply. I have been working a lot and not on the site much, thank you
It's totally ok lol. I get it.
Sorry if I came across the wrong way or something... Wasn't trying to be rude about it :/

So... A good update. I have a DMV appointment scheduled for near the END of April. A bit after that, I'm hoping to get these plans for the 40g up and running.

For this large piece of wood I have, should I soak it in vinegar water to avoid fungi/mold/algae to grow? It should get deep in the wood and kill off anything that may be there. Then after I soak it in vinegar, I'll soak it in dechlorinated water until I don't smell any vinegar. Sound good?

For this large piece of wood I have, should I soak it in vinegar water to avoid fungi/mold/algae to grow? It should get deep in the wood and kill off anything that may be there. Then after I soak it in vinegar, I'll soak it in dechlorinated water until I don't smell any vinegar. Sound good?

No, bad idea. First soaking wood in any liquid will usually mean that substance is now in the wood, and over time may well leach out. Second, this would not stop algae from growing on the wood anyway. Nor will it deal with any fungus in the wood.

I hav nver soaked wood in anything but tap water (not dechlorinated). Purpose is to rinse off dust, nothing more.

No, bad idea. First soaking wood in any liquid will usually mean that substance is now in the wood, and over time may well leach out. Second, this would not stop algae from growing on the wood anyway. Nor will it deal with any fungus in the wood.

I hav nver soaked wood in anything but tap water (not dechlorinated). Purpose is to rinse off dust, nothing more.
Oh ok. I heard the vinegar would kill off fungus spores in the wood.... But I'll just rinse it really well and add it to the tank I guess

And I know it wouldn't necessarily STOP algae growing, I thought it would just help kill any possible spores that start in/on the wood

And I know it wouldn't necessarily STOP algae growing, I thought it would just help kill any possible spores that start in/on the wood

I would assume the wood initially is dry, so as far as I know there will not be aquatic algae on it. I have removed chunks of wood that had algae on it from a tank I was tearing down for whatever reason, and the wood goes into a dry tank until I'm ready to use it, which can be months later. The algae has never come back to life.

I would assume the wood initially is dry, so as far as I know there will not be aquatic algae on it. I have removed chunks of wood that had algae on it from a tank I was tearing down for whatever reason, and the wood goes into a dry tank until I'm ready to use it, which can be months later. The algae has never come back to life.
Awesome! Thank you!
Yes, this piece of wood is totally dry...

Also, (sorry for the extra question), but I want to mix a bit of soil in with the quikrete play sand to give it a more river substrate feel and color. But I don't want to wait like 3-6 months for a soil to "be ready" for fish... Is there any soil type I should look for that should be just fine to add into the 40g? Inert, so it won't affect water parameters at all.
I want my substrate to be of a darker coloration. Not black, like a mid-brown if you get what I'm saying? Lol. That's what I'm trying to go for...

Most reactions

Back