40g breeder plans...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

First comment is that cories and loaches should never be in the same tank. The kuhlii loach is probably less of an issue than any of the botine-type species, but it is still not a good idea. If you want cories, have a decent-size group so they will thrive.

Which brings me to my second comment...if you decide on "x" fish, make sure you provide what it needs and do not skimp just to have some of them. Reducing fish stress is key to healthy fish. The Peacock goby/gudgeon will be better in a small shoal, 6-7. So do that, rather than 3-4 which is reducing not only the fish's well-being but your enjoyment of their interactions. And they will be much less interested in the cories.
Ok, got it, no loaches. Thanks!
I'll either get one single species of corydora or two separate species. We'll see.

Ok! Yah. I'll try to go for 6-7.
I have 2 gudgeons now and they do VERY well as only a pair...

Then for the top section of the tank I'll do a shoal of the Red Neon Blue Eye Rainbow fish with maybe another schooling fish like rasbora espei if possible

I have 2 gudgeons now and they do VERY well as only a pair...

This sounds warning bells to my ears. This information from Seriously Fish:

A little territorial with its own kind but is suitable for many communities of small, peaceful fish. ... The peacock goby can be kept in small groups without problems. They will squabble amongst themselves, but this is almost always restricted to displaying and flaring and in fact makes for a more entertaining spectacle than if you just have a couple.​

What this says to me is that having lived together as a pair, the male especially may be much less favourably inclined to have others enter his territory. I know this is certainly how it plays out with many such fish.

This sounds warning bells to my ears. This information from Seriously Fish:

A little territorial with its own kind but is suitable for many communities of small, peaceful fish. ... The peacock goby can be kept in small groups without problems. They will squabble amongst themselves, but this is almost always restricted to displaying and flaring and in fact makes for a more entertaining spectacle than if you just have a couple.​

What this says to me is that having lived together as a pair, the male especially may be much less favourably inclined to have others enter his territory. I know this is certainly how it plays out with many such fish.
Oof. We'll then... What if I just get more females and maybe one more male?
That would make sense.. He'd be like: "Get off my property!!" 😂

Oof. We'll then... What if I just get more females and maybe one more male?
That would make sense.. He'd be like: "Get off my property!!" 😂

I am not going to suggest anything here, I just want you to be aware that adding more of this species may not work. I do not know this fish beyond my research. You need to be aware of it. Putting the pair into a larger tank at the same time as the new fish of this species might smooth it over. I don't know.

I am not going to suggest anything here, I just want you to be aware that adding more of this species may not work. I do not know this fish beyond my research. You need to be aware of it. Putting the pair into a larger tank at the same time as the new fish of this species might smooth it over. I don't know.
I could try that...
I was going to add the extra gudgeons in last to avoid possible territorial issues with the corydoras and other fish...
Thank you for the advice! I appreciate it and will definitely take it all into consideration

SF has "Peacock Goby" as the common name, and if you search that site for peacock gudgeon you will not find this species at all. Common names are only common to the person using them, no one else. And the scientific name finds the information at one go, accurately.
I've been trying to figure out what a peacock gudgeon was since first seeing the name and still haven't.

That's what I'm planning. I was able to talk to the LPS owner and he said they would but ONLY for store credit 🙄... Which I suppose makes sense but I won't be buying anything for the initial set up from them so that money won't help me much at all.

And yes the PH is a bit high but... The gudgeons are fine. If I choose hardy species that live in a ph that is 7.5 or 7.6 they should be able to deal with the pH of 8. Now I wouldn't choose any really sensitive species or species that needs a really low PH...

And yes I kinda thought it would be too many bottom dwellers, so maybe scratch the rams
so trade for the tank itself? or the filter?

so trade for the tank itself? or the filter?
No, I traded in the fry. But I'm actually happy with the amount I got.
I've been trying to figure out what a peacock gudgeon was since first seeing the name and still haven't.
20230216_092331_capture(0).jpg

I could try that...
I was going to add the extra gudgeons in last to avoid possible territorial issues with the corydoras and other fish...
Thank you for the advice! I appreciate it and will definitely take it all into consideration

I agree to get the tank running with all non-gudgeon fish species in it at their respective numbers. Then when all are settled, add the entire group, new and old, of the gudgeons at the same time. The new environment plus the distraction of other "dither" fish might allow this to work.

I agree to get the tank running with all non-gudgeon fish. Then when you are ready, add the entire group, new and old of the gudgeons at the same time. The new environment plus the distraction of other "dither" fish might allow this to work.
Can't really do that though...

It's a miracle my mom is even letting me have the 10g tank set up to quarantine new fish next to the 40g. I don't have any space to hold the gudgeons besides the 40g or 10g...

Can't really do that though...

It's a miracle my mom is even letting me have the 10g tank set up to quarantine new fish next to the 40g. I don't have any space to hold the gudgeons besides the 40g or 10g...

Will the store hold them if you buy them? There is still the QT problem of course.

What I cautioned previously is still a very real possibility. If memory serves me, you had three gudgeons and one was killed; this would tend to strengthen my caution. The male may not be prepared to tolerate any others.

Will the store hold them if you buy them? There is still the QT problem of course.

What I cautioned previously is still a very real possibility. If memory serves me, you had three gudgeons and one was killed; this would tend to strengthen my caution. The male may not be prepared to tolerate any others.
I don't want my LPS to hold any fish I buy 😂
I want to get it straight from the cooler. But also, I don't think they hold the special ordered fish anyways.

I had 3, yes... That one was kinda weak and died from stress when the shop bagged them and then I brought them home...

Well my mom is letting me quarantine all the fish I bring in... How is there a problem?

The best procedure would be to set up the new tank, get all non-gudgeon fish in it, and then add all gudgeons at once. This means not putting the pair in until you add the new ones, but the QT is I assume the existing gudgeon tank? If not, then this is not an issue as you could leave the pair where they are, QT the new group in their own tank, then add both groups to the 40g.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back