40g breeder plans...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

rams, cories, suckermouth catfish and gudgeons equals too many bottom dwellers in the same tank.

the pH is a bit high for some of those fish.

if you are breeding the gudgeons, why not trade them for the aquarium and other items you need?
That's what I'm planning. I was able to talk to the LPS owner and he said they would but ONLY for store credit 🙄... Which I suppose makes sense but I won't be buying anything for the initial set up from them so that money won't help me much at all.

And yes the PH is a bit high but... The gudgeons are fine. If I choose hardy species that live in a ph that is 7.5 or 7.6 they should be able to deal with the pH of 8. Now I wouldn't choose any really sensitive species or species that needs a really low PH...

And yes I kinda thought it would be too many bottom dwellers, so maybe scratch the rams

That's what I'm planning. I was able to talk to the LPS owner and he said they would but ONLY for store credit 🙄... Which I suppose makes sense but I won't be buying anything for the initial set up from them so that money won't help me much at all.
Why can't you get tanks and equipment from the LFS?
I'm sure they sell the same brands as other stores. Even if they don't have them in stock, they should be able to order items in for you and you pay for it with the credit.

Store credit is still useful! You were saying what if you don't have enough money leftover from upgrading the tank to buy fish? That's where your store credit comes in. Or you use it to buy plants and fish food, and use the money you saved on those items to get what you need from elsewhere. :)

Also consider looking for other local hobbyists to trade fish and plants with! That's how I got my psuedomugli's and also traded plants, by swapping plant cuttings and the pygmy cories I'd bred for the psuedos and other plants I didn't have before. Can advertise the young peacocks, and include in the ad that you're open to offers for trading fish/plants/equipment.

The pH of your tank is way too high for rams and will only lead to problems. Plus, your fish and rams will be a terrible mix.

Store credit is still useful! You were saying what if you don't have enough money leftover from upgrading the tank to buy fish? That's where your store credit comes in. Or you use it to buy plants and fish food, and use the money you saved on those items to get what you need from elsewhere. :)

Also consider looking for other local hobbyists to trade fish and plants with! That's how I got my psuedomugli's and also traded plants, by swapping plant cuttings and the pygmy cories I'd bred for the psuedos and other plants I didn't have before. Can advertise the young peacocks, and include in the ad that you're open to offers for trading fish/plants/equipment.
Why can't you get tanks and equipment from the LFS?
I'm sure they sell the same brands as other stores. Even if they don't have them in stock, they should be able to order items in for you and you pay for it with the credit.
No and no...
My lfs has super unhealthy fish to the point I don't even want plants from them.
I would rather buy fish from the petsmart near me...
But I will probably be getting them from TWS.
And most all their necessary equipment is really expensive.
While they are different brands of aquariums (pet smart sells Top Fin glass aquariums and my local pet store sells Aqueon glass aquariums)
Petsmart sells their 40g for $120 while my local pet store sells it for $179... That's a big jump.
Now their filters... They sell aquaclear filters (that's great) but the biggest I've seen there is 30 and I forget how much it is... And all their heaters I won't buy. I am sticking to fluval and they carry two brands tetra (never buying their heaters) and another brand that I have never heard of....
Only things I would buy from them is if I could buy the fish right out of the cooler they get shipped in. They also have really nice, large pieces of wood that I sometimes will get.
They have two stores near me and one usually always has really nice pieces.
A bit expensive though. $40-50 for a "large" piece

I have... Very few are actually serious in the hobby.
It's a dark world for fish keeping here.
I swear that sometimes I'm the only one who properly keeps fish in my area. (Not being arrogant or bragging when I say that)

The pH of your tank is way too high for rams and will only lead to problems. Plus, your fish and rams will be a terrible mix.
Sorry almost missed this post Itiwhetu.
First let me start off by saying you're right and I won't be getting rams (decided on that last night).
The reason... Well the way these gudgeons act can be a bit aggressive when protecting their cave. But they would do well with corydoras.
And let's say I did rams and they were breeding. Those two species could get in a little brawl... Then my gudgeon would be mauled because rams are twice the size.
And the PH I didn't look into the pH and was going to but then I didn't want to do rams cause of the reason above so I never looked into the PH really. I was just tossing fish ideas around in my mind, seeing what would work

Aren't you glad you didn't choose a tall tank? This could be you...

Attachments

• Tall tank.jpg
    Tall tank.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 32
Aren't you glad you didn't choose a tall tank? This could be you...

Jeez! Aren't they worried about damaging that tank? I guess it's acrylic, but still. Holding the weight of a grown man on one side only can't be good for it. What a stupid tank design. I don't understand the people who want them. I don't think it looks any more impressive than a large, well scaped rectangular tank, it's horrible for the fish, and is impossible to set up and maintain properly. Doesn't impress me at all, for all of those reasons.

Jeez! Aren't they worried about damaging that tank? I guess it's acrylic, but still. Holding the weight of a grown man on one side only can't be good for it. What a stupid tank design. I don't understand the people who want them. I don't think it looks any more impressive than a large, well scaped rectangular tank, it's horrible for the fish, and is impossible to set up and maintain properly. Doesn't impress me at all, for all of those reasons.
I think it would be a beautiful tank if set up properly but maintenance would be heck 😅

I think it would be a beautiful tank if set up properly but maintenance would be heck 😅
How would it be beautiful? What fish would you put in there? Even cardinals or neons - small fish, would dart one way, hit a wall, dart the other - they wouldn't be able to properly swim. All that vertical room is wasted, the fish don't swim vertically so it's pointless for them. The only way you could make an interesting scape is by creating a wall up on side and growing plants/having a sand waterfall or something, but then that defeats the purpose of a round tank, since there's no "back wall".

A round tank can work - if it's a lot wider than that tiny thing above. Height is useless to fish. Like you living in a tiny 4 ft by 4 ft cell, but being told you have load of space, because the ceiling is five stories away. What's the point? You can't use that vertical space and would be just as cramped.

How would it be beautiful? What fish would you put in there? Even cardinals or neons - small fish, would dart one way, hit a wall, dart the other - they wouldn't be able to properly swim. All that vertical room is wasted, the fish don't swim vertically so it's pointless for them. The only way you could make an interesting scape is by creating a wall up on side and growing plants/having a sand waterfall or something, but then that defeats the purpose of a round tank, since there's no "back wall".

A round tank can work - if it's a lot wider than that tiny thing above. Height is useless to fish. Like you living in a tiny 4 ft by 4 ft cell, but being told you have load of space, because the ceiling is five stories away. What's the point? You can't use that vertical space and would be just as cramped.
Well the tank pictured above is circular and is fairly big. I'm not a fan of tall tall tanks but the tank I mentioned before (the 65g) has a nice length and width. But its taller which can give extra room for another layer of schooling fish or room for big fish like angels.
They have their uses.
Also like how I was saying, the pictured tank is circular and large meaning you can have a nice group of corydoras and then a school of mid-top dwelling fish.
They won't bang into the walls after a while. It's circular, so they will go around. Now of course I wouldn't do a cylindrical shaped 20g that would be really small and just useless but the bigger you get the better and that tank above is a good example.

I'm not a fan of tall tall tanks but the tank I mentioned before (the 65g) has a nice length and width. But its taller which can give extra room for another layer of schooling fish or room for big fish like angels.
They have their uses.

I'm not knocking all tall tanks like the 65g you mentioned, they definitely have their uses! Like you said, especially for tall bodied fish like angels and discus. :) And if you still want the 65g, I think you should go for it!

It's the tall tanks that sacrifice footprint that I don't like, and I really don't like circular tanks! Part of that might just be a strong personal opinion making me dislike the look of them, plus I remember the trend where people were buying tall tube things to stick in their living room, and putting real fish in them :eek: so perhaps circular tall tanks remind me of that. Like these;
evil fish tube tank.jpg

I do love this round tank though! Enough footprint, interesting scaping that suits both the neons and rams, huge numbers of the same species so they're happy! 😍

Most reactions

Back