40g breeder plans...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kinda at a standstill...
My parents said they would buy the tank and lid if I got my drivers license and they said I couldn't get it if I didn't get my permit. I WANT TO get my permit, but things have been hectic with all sorts of things between my brother, doctor appointments, and trying to figure out the rules and regs for the permit as well as steps to take for it... I've been trying to study for the test and I'm kinda overwhelmed with it tbh...

After that though, I can get the tank.
This might break a record for most longest aquarium journal without an actual tank. :lol:

Question... Instead of doing 15 eternal corydoras, what if I did like 8 sterbai and then 7 of a different species like bronze corydoras or maybe go a totally different direction and do kuhli loaches...

(sorry, I'm sure you guys wanted this to be a big update, trust me, I wanted it to be one to 😂😂. Still need to get some stuff in order. But Sith the fry fone, I think things will move along a bit better now)

There is no direct harm in combining different species of Corydoras, at least not the commonly available species. It is better to have several of each individual species, I have always tried to get at least three, preferably five or six of each individual species, when combining species. When I had about 70 in my 5-foot tank, these represented 11 or 12 species. Some of the species were only available as two or three in the store.

The issue is if they spawn, and the fry survive. If you have a few of each species, they will spawn within their species. It is when there are not male and female of each species that some may hybridize, and this the hobby does not support.

There is no direct harm in combining different species of Corydoras, at least not the commonly available species. It is better to have several of each individual species, I have always tried to get at least three, preferably five or six of each individual species, when combining species. When I had about 70 in my 5-foot tank, these represented 11 or 12 species. Some of the species were only available as two or three in the store.

The issue is if they spawn, and the fry survive. If you have a few of each species, they will spawn within their species. It is when there are not male and female of each species that some may hybridize, and this the hobby does not support.
This great info! Awesome! Thqnk you so much.
I want to try Sterbai corys and Bronze corys (still deciding on the second one though)

I know I was talking about two different species of corydoras, but what if I did lime a group of 8 sterbai corydoras and then a group of 7 kuhli loaches. Not to mention the 5 peacock gudgeons as well along with whatever top dwelling species I choose (leaning towards red neon rainbowfish).
Would this work in a 40 gallon breeder or am I setting my hopes too high? What do you think @Byron and @WhistlingBadger?
Im getting closer to getting my permit which means I'm getting closer to getting the tank! I'm hoping here in the next month or two to get the tank set up.

My mom is also being EXTREMELY generous and letting me keep the 10 gallon tank setup so I can quarantine ALL the new fish I get! Very thankful she is being understanding with that...
I plan to add the fish in fairly slowly so I don't shock the ecosystem.
So excited as I get closer to making this happen!

That seams like a lot of bottom dwellers to me. Are gudgeons territorial at all? Cories and kuhlis would probably do OK together, but I'm not sure about the peacocks.

That seams like a lot of bottom dwellers to me. Are gudgeons territorial at all? Cories and kuhlis would probably do OK together, but I'm not sure about the peacocks.
Peacocks will only chase them if they get too close to a male's cave.
Peacock gudgeons rarely get aggressive to other fish, they usually keep it within their own species.
Also the corys and loaches are larger than the gudgeons. So the gudgeons wouldn't really try to fight them lol, especially if the corys and loaches are kept in groups.

The male gudgeons will most likely stay in their caves for the most part while the females stay near the middle section of the aquarium. Its usually the males that always stay at the bottom, the females dont

Peacocks will only chase them if they get too close to a male's cave.
Peacock gudgeons rarely get aggressive to other fish, they usually keep it within their own species.
Also the corys and loaches are larger than the gudgeons. So the gudgeons wouldn't really try to fight them lol, especially if the corys and loaches are kept in groups.

The male gudgeons will most likely stay in their caves for the most part while the females stay near the middle section of the aquarium. Its usually the males that always stay at the bottom, the females dont
Maybe I don't do AS many gudgeons... Like instead of 5-6, have 3-4.

First comment is that cories and loaches should never be in the same tank. The kuhlii loach is probably less of an issue than any of the botine-type species, but it is still not a good idea. If you want cories, have a decent-size group so they will thrive.

Which brings me to my second comment...if you decide on "x" fish, make sure you provide what it needs and do not skimp just to have some of them. Reducing fish stress is key to healthy fish. The Peacock goby/gudgeon will be better in a small shoal, 6-7. So do that, rather than 3-4 which is reducing not only the fish's well-being but your enjoyment of their interactions. And they will be much less interested in the cories.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back