40g breeder plans...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I want some advice on how to go about buying plants and how to plant them?
Should I buy what I said I would buy and stick with that? Or should I do smaller amounts of each plant and get other types of plants as well? If so, what other plants should I buy?

With the amazon swords, am I able to cut the roots and then just wiggle them into the substrate and then they will regrow their roots?? I feel like it will be really hard to plant them with long roots... Unless I plant them before filling the tank. I could definitely attempt that.
Don't cut the roots. That will be adding more stress to the already stressed plant. What you can do is push the plant into the sand while at the same time moving it through the sand to the place you want it planted. That will pull the roots down under the sand.

Don't cut the roots. That will be adding more stress to the already stressed plant. What you can do is push the plant into the sand while at the same time moving it through the sand to the place you want it planted. That will pull the roots down under the sand.
That seems like it would damage the plant though by pulling it through the sand while its burried...
Really? I cant cut the roots? I have heard of people doing it before to initially plant something....

That seems like it would damage the plant though by pulling it through the sand while its burried...
Really? I cant cut the roots? I have heard of people doing it before to initially plant something....
I wouldn't cut the roots. I have used the method I wrote above with great results. No problems whatsoever.

I wouldn't cut the roots. I have used the method I wrote above with great results. No problems whatsoever.
I could try it I suppose....

I would like to hear a few other suggestions though just to see what others have had success with.

@Byron @Slaphppy7, do you guys have any suggestions??

Cutting the roots a bit won't harm the plant, as long as it is planted immediately afterwards.

You may need to add some weight around the plant base to hold it in place until the new root growth takes hold; plain rocks work well, you can remove them later.

Cutting the roots a bit won't harm the plant, as long as it is planted immediately afterwards.

You may need to add some weight around the plant base to hold it in place until the new root growth takes hold; plain rocks work well, you can remove them later.
That's what I thought but I wasn't too sure! Thank you!
I was hoping to cut the roots very short and then plant them right after.
Can I do the same with vals?

Yep, done it myself many times before...
Woohoo!! Alright! Thank you so much lol.

Oh, sorry for the other question but is there a part of the plants that need to stay above? I know with the swords there is a crown but the rest can stay under and help weigh the plant into the sand. But what about vals?

I have read suggestions to trim plant roots, but I have never done it. Echinodorus plants have huge root systems, and they are heavy root feeders. If they come in a small pot, remove the pot and as much of the white wool as you can but be careful, roots especially small roots can be well "rooted" in this medium. Poke the entire root system (I usually sort of roll it up so it is easier) into the substrate right down to the glass, tehn fill the substrate in around the plant. Gently and slowly pull the plant vertically up to make sure the crown is not buried (it willrot and kill the plant). Unbless you havee digging fish, the plant will root. Plant these sturdy plants before water is added if that is possible. Just be careful as the leaves if they are the submersed form will be less rigid and can get broken off. Poke a Flourish Tab down about an inch from the crown.

I have read suggestions to trim plant roots, but I have never done it. Echinodorus plants have huge root systems, and they are heavy root feeders. If they come in a small pot, remove the pot and as much of the white wool as you can but be careful, roots especially small roots can be well "rooted" in this medium. Poke the entire root system (I usually sort of roll it up so it is easier) into the substrate right down to the glass, tehn fill the substrate in around the plant. Gently and slowly pull the plant vertically up to make sure the crown is not buried (it willrot and kill the plant). Unbless you havee digging fish, the plant will root. Plant these sturdy plants before water is added if that is possible. Just be careful as the leaves if they are the submersed form will be less rigid and can get broken off. Poke a Flourish Tab down about an inch from the crown.
Sounds awesome! I will try each method mentioned

@connorlindeman is right and he has proved it by experience. Don't cut the roots. Whatever you may think and whatever anyone else says , don't cut the roots. Once more for clarity. Don't cut the roots. In other words , don't cut the roots.
Then we'd never had potatoes, beets, carrots, or peanuts ...

New idea for plant stocking. I decided the vals would look bad with the swords lol.

So here is what imma do:

3 monster sized anubias
9 amazon swords
And 5 Cryptocoryne Wendtii

Then later I will add in red tiger lotus and maybe some floaters but we'll see...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back