--

Do you have the means to keep the fry? Because they won't survive, with your other fish, they will quickly become a snack.

Test strips are not accurate, you need the actual liquid tests i.e. API test master kit. All readings should be 0, bar nitrate. Ammonia and nitrite can make your fish ill, fatal tbh............including death.

You'll get about 20-30 fry..........you honestly saying you can house them all?

Do you have the means to keep the fry? Because they won't survive, with your other fish, they will quickly become a snack.

Test strips are not accurate, you need the actual liquid tests i.e. API test master kit. All readings should be 0, bar nitrate. Ammonia and nitrite can make your fish ill, fatal tbh............including death.

You'll get about 20-30 fry..........you honestly saying you can house them all?

no i cant house them all, which is why i am not putting them in a breeding net. I figure only a couple will survive. And those i can house. Last year i had a balloon molly and one of the babies lived. It grew up healthy and was a fun addition.

As far as the liquid testing kits, i only have the liquid testing for nitrites, which reads 0. I will buy the others when i get ahold of a little extra cash.

Alright guys so all my fish are looking good and healthy. I moved them down to my dorm room yesterday and it worked perfectly. It only took about and hour and a half to do the whole thing.

Now that im settled, im looking to buy a center piece fish for my tank.

What would you guys suggest for a center piece fish to put in my tank? I was thinking a dwarf gourami or a angel fish. I wish i could do a blood parrot, but i dont have a big enough tank. Well give me some ideas please!

Hey, Don't panic about fry. If they don't get eaten as soon as they are free swimming, then just give them to someone with larger fish as feeders.
You are doing great, we all had to start somewhere and remember this hobby is full of trial and error. You WILL loose many fish along the way, and thats where you will learn.
If you need any more help, feel free to PM me.

I breed mollies and guppies as feeders for my Snakeheads. They love them as a weekly treat!

Hey, Don't panic about fry. If they don't get eaten as soon as they are free swimming, then just give them to someone with larger fish as feeders.
You are doing great, we all had to start somewhere and remember this hobby is full of trial and error. You WILL loose many fish along the way, and thats where you will learn.
If you need any more help, feel free to PM me.

I breed mollies and guppies as feeders for my Snakeheads. They love them as a weekly treat!

Yea ive never worried about having fry. I am yet to have an over-populated or overstocked tank. As far as fish dying, i think a big problem was that i wasnt using the drip system before, but i have seen the light haha.

Gasmask do you have any centerpiece opinions for me?

Whatever you get don't get zebra danios. They are super active and I find them stressful lol. My wife bought some for our tank, and we have them in our quarantine tank with some corys she got as well. Corys can't even get any food without taking the danios out for about 10 minutes.

Personally I love plecos. They live a long time and have nice, quiet personalities. I have an albino. In a 20 gallon tall a pleco would do pretty well if you fed it half an algae tablet once a week, maybe a little more often. Make sure it's small though, because bigger plecos need more than 20 gallons.

Whatever you get don't get zebra danios. They are super active and I find them stressful lol. My wife bought some for our tank, and we have them in our quarantine tank with some corys she got as well. Corys can't even get any food without taking the danios out for about 10 minutes.

Personally I love plecos. They live a long time and have nice, quiet personalities. I have an albino. In a 20 gallon tall a pleco would do pretty well if you fed it half an algae tablet once a week, maybe a little more often. Make sure it's small though, because bigger plecos need more than 20 gallons.

yea i had zebra danios as my first fish and they were way too active for me. No thanks! I was not a fan of their personalities.

I dont want a pleco because yes it will easily outgrow my tank.

I think i will get an angel fish. Anyone think this is a terrible idea? Will it be too aggressive with my other fish?

Alright guys so all my fish are looking good and healthy. I moved them down to my dorm room yesterday and it worked perfectly. It only took about and hour and a half to do the whole thing.

What would you guys suggest for a center piece fish to put in my tank? I was thinking a dwarf gourami or a angel fish. I wish i could do a blood parrot, but i dont have a big enough tank. Well give me some ideas please!

Angels have to have a min of 15" height of water, plus as adults, they will eat smaller fish

Angels have to have a min of 15" height of water, plus as adults, they will eat smaller fish

the height of my tank is 17", so im good there. Yeah im just worried about them attacking my other fish

Good god don't put an angel in a tank this small. It would be like watching a guy on a moped turn around in a garage. No no, they aught to be kept in a bunch of atleast 3, and i highly doubt one angel would fit in your tank. There simply isnt enough room for it to comfortably move around. Have you seen how tall angels gets?

If you want a centre piece i'd go with a dwarf gourami personally. They are small enough and have BAGS of personality, also they come in very attractive colours.

But please discard the angels idea :blink: I have three angels in a 3ft 180L tank and i think they look cramped. They are big fish.

Good god don't put an angel in a tank this small. It would be like watching a guy on a moped turn around in a garage. No no, they aught to be kept in a bunch of atleast 3, and i highly doubt one angel would fit in your tank. There simply isnt enough room for it to comfortably move around. Have you seen how tall angels gets?

If you want a centre piece i'd go with a dwarf gourami personally. They are small enough and have BAGS of personality, also they come in very attractive colours.

But please discard the angels idea :blink: I have three angels in a 3ft 180L tank and i think they look cramped. They are big fish.

ok thank you verminator. I will look towards a gourami then

im sorry to disappoint you guys, but i got a platinum angel today. I went to a privately owned aquarium and the knowledgeable man there supported my idea of buying one, so i went with it.

So far, i am pretty happy. He is still a bit timid, but is very beautiful. He is about as small as they sell angelfish, which is probably about a quarter size. he is just bigger than my largest tetra.

It should take him a long time to outgrow the tank and when that happens, i can either give him away or make another upgrade.

Dont lose hope in me guys! haha i just have been wanting one for too long. Lets hope he is a healthy addition.

Thanks,
GT

Hey guys i thought i would actually get a good picture of the new tank to show you guys:
newtank10.jpg

Also, I had some more questions:

I am looking to make add some real plants to my tank. I tried this before, but i messed everything up by having my tank re-cycle and adding a non aquatic plant. Now i want to try this agian now that my tank is back to normal.

QUESTION: How should i set up real plants in my tank so that they will strive while keeping cost as low as possible?

Thanks Guys,
Garrett

Update: I recently got a clown pleco and a small piece of driftwood for him.

All of the other fish are doing great and looking healthy.

I also bought a liquid Ammonia tester and my Ammonia levels are basically 0, which is always good stuff.

What's the point of you being on the forum, you do not listen at all. Of course a seller is going to be 'pro angel', if there is money involved.

That angel will likely kill off your small fish, starting by ripping their fins. The pleco will need a substrate that is soft, the gravel you got is sharp and will most prob damage it's mouth.

You do not seem to actually research your choices, very poor indeed.

Most reactions

Back