25 Gallon Planted Community Journey V2

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
As long as the ingredient in the super glue is "Cyanoacrylate", you'll be fine.

As for the "stringy" stuff, it is more than likely a bit of algae. 

If I were you, I'd stick to Cryptocorynes or Echinodorus because they are generally less demanding here are a few to research:

C. parva - foreground plant.
C. wendtii - mid ground
C. ciliata - background (might be what you are looking for for the corner)

E. martii - background
E. amazonicus 'narrow leaf' - background

Easier Stemmed plants - sold as bunches... will need to be separated and pushed into substrate.
Egeria densa (anacharis) - background
Hornwort  - background
Moneywort - background
Wisteria - background

If your worrying about starving the bacteria then just add a pinch or two of some fish food. Another thing you could do is add a few shelled peas and they should provide enough ammonia to keep some of the bacteria alive until you can get bottled ammonia.
I think that quite a few people in Aussie have had trouble finding some pure ammonia due to it being used to make bombs.

That's what I was thinking too, it has been used readily by idiots here and recently caused a pretty big stir in the news so it doesn't surprise me that I'm struggling to find it. Cheers for the suggestions eagle, I'll most certainly go and look them up! :) 

Algae has pretty much all cleared up and disappeared now so that's a relief. Can you recommend any reliable sites to buy plants online?

And as for the melting of the plants, what should I do? Fertilizers?

Melting plants don't usually need anything. They just need to settle in. What plants are melting?

Sorry can't help with a website, none of them that I know ship to Australia. :/

Let me know where you find some as I'll be starting a fishless cycle soon and I haven't even looked lol. Though I did see some cloudy ammonia when I was in the supermarket yesterday.
Apparently you are supposed to be able to find some at hardware stores so have a look there.

I went to a hardware store as well and had no luck, the guy behind the counter said he had't seen the stuff in ages :/

Hey eagle, I think I know what type of Algae it is, its that long white thread algae, it came back and some of the strings are about 10cm long now. What should I do about it? :/ I'll try to get some photos of it later today.

Remove it by hand.  The biggest issue you have is that you are cycling with LIGHTS.  Most of the time folks don't cycle with lights because of algae...  At this point, you MAY be able to finish with a fishless cycle and 1 or 2 platies.  They are actually algae grazers... not all algae, and not a lot, but they will nibble.

So should I minimize the light in the aquarium to try to hold back the algae? I've been keeping it on for about 7 hours a day with a 1WPG ratio.

When I go down to grab some more plants and potentially the platies, I'll ask a mate from the store if he has any mature media I could grab off him, and just slip it into the external, right? 

For plants water wisteria, hair grass (not dwarf), dwarf sag, or green cabomba would look nice.

Noahsfish said:
For plants water wisteria, hair grass (not dwarf), dwarf sag, or green cabomba would look nice.
I'm either going to go with Green Cabomba for the background on the right hand side, or Corkscrew Val.... or both o_O 
What would you suggest? I still need a midground plant though, unless I move all those little crypts together and just use them. Either way I'm buying two anubias, and some java moss to pimp out that driftwood this weekend ;) haha

You'll be amazed at what a difference the moss will make. My tank was filled with plants, but just adding the moss was a huge change. I love moss :)

greenmumma141 said:
You'll be amazed at what a difference the moss will make. My tank was filled with plants, but just adding the moss was a huge change. I love moss
smile.png
Oh stop it, you're making me excited ;) haha, have you ever had issues with it though? like overtaking your tank sort of issues? 

Robbo89 said:
You'll be amazed at what a difference the moss will make. My tank was filled with plants, but just adding the moss was a huge change. I love moss
smile.png
Oh stop it, you're making me excited
wink.png
haha, have you ever had issues with it though? like overtaking your tank sort of issues? 

Nope :) It's growing and spreading out nicely, but I don't think it's anything invasive by any means. The only thing over taking my tank is vallis lol Can't keep up with that stuff.

greenmumma141 said:

smile.png
Oh stop it, you're making me excited
wink.png
haha, have you ever had issues with it though? like overtaking your tank sort of issues? 

Nope
smile.png
It's growing and spreading out nicely, but I don't think it's anything invasive by any means. The only thing over taking my tank is vallis lol Can't keep up with that stuff.

Hahaha fair enough, I'm really excited about this now! 

So the shopping list for this weekend is as follows;

A means of cycling - New Ammonia, mature media, API Quick start/similar product, Prawns (a whole other story :p ), Platties
Superglue - to attach, what brand do you use Eagle???
1 Maybe 2 Anubias - to get cracking on that driftwood
3 Bunches of Corkscrew Val - to hit up that right hand corner
Java Moss - again for the driftwood AND the coconut :D 

????? Java Fern ????? - to play around with, driftwood, coconut, terra cotta pot, need thoughts? I dont want a plant bigger than the object its sitting on, that would look silly. So I'd want a smaller variety... maybe something for the future hey. But big updates are coming! Very exciting :).... for me at least ;) lol

I don't remember the brand - :blush:

Actually, if the plant grows big enough, the pot becomes a really hidden hole and the fish will probably like it even more!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back