25 Gallon Planted Community Journey V2

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Anubias is really a nice plant, if you ask me!  Mine has been blooming for about 6 months now... and I never even knew that was possible!  Just a simple little white flower, similar to a lily. 

I think that would look great. Another really easy plant, that I threw allllll over my tank wood is java fern. Just like anubias, the rhizome has to be free from the substrate, so you have to attach it to something with thread, fishing line, or just super glue it like i did :)  Mopani wood will never hurt in my opinion.  

i felt the same way when i first set up my tank. I wanted it to look a very specific way and got frustrated when i spent the time and money to add all my plants and stuff, then it looked very different. I had to take a step back and just think about what i had to work with and go from there. If you chose materials that you like, and are willing to move things around a time or two, then you're going to like the way it looks :)

Eagles, i have over 10 anubias in my tank and none of them are blooming!! lol i think i'll keel over when it finally happens :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice! I think I will look at that then, as I find the Mopani wood really attractive! :)
Only thoughts are that it might look a it out of place and unbalanced with that redmoor piece on the left, and a random different type of wood on the right. I think I want to go for a natural look, but i'm sure I want to go heavily planted. The java fern is quite nice, and thinking back on it now maybe that little 'crypt' in the pot that i bought was actually a java fern.... :/ I really need to remember these things better! 
If I chuck up some photos would you guys be able to help me out with identifying it at all?? 
Another idea I had was to attach some java moss to that 'runner' of the red moorwood that kind of extends across the substrate, thought that might look quite nice. 1 think I need to keep in mind though is that this tank is going to have 8 Corys, so I dont want to leave them stuck out in the open tank with nothing to hide under/in :/ 

I was shocked too.  Never knew that was even possible!  I had it for over a year before it bloomed.  The blooms are quite long lasting, and I've had about 3 flowers since that time.

I don't think it happened until I moved the anubias closer to the light bulb - my tank is fairly deep, and the bulb is fairly weak.  I don't know really how it happened or why?  I just have enjoyed looking at the bloom - which is almost exactly how the panda cory fry happened to me. I didn't mean for it to happen, I just noticed three tiny things moving in the tank and presto - cory fry! 

See Robbo, the key is to set-up a good environment.  The fish/plants will take care of the rest.  ;)

But aren't the plants the basis of the good environment? Or by good environment do you mean water quality / stocking :p

I mean water quality and stocking.

Ah :p, so in relation to the scaping for the corys needs, what ele would I need to include? Where do your pandas spend most of their time?

I have some caves in my tank, and the pandas will split their time out searching for food and hiding in a cave.  They just need to feel that security is available to them whenever they feel they need it.

I've used large rocks (boulder's to their scale, with a large area underneath it) and I've used slate to create "tee-pees" and "lean-to"s.  In addition to that, they also have hung out under my amazon swords leaves.  These types of plants really helped the fry, I believe to hide from the other fish, and find bits of food.  The caves were put in and some "plantlets" from my ferns stuck to them to allow them to blend a bit more.  Its worked for my fish.

Sounds awesome, with that in mind, and looking at my tank currently, would you suggest I buy some aquarium rocks/slate then and use that to form a cave over on the right hand side of the tank than, rather than trying to blend two different types of driftwood in one landscape?
How do you think it would look with Mopani and Redmoor together, go well or look out of place? Either way I'm still going to heavily plant around the structure most likely with corkscrew vallis as a back drop, and dwarf hairgrass to blend it in :) Sound good? Please let me know if you think that wouldnt work because I'd much prefer to change it now to something that will than end up stuck with an arrangement of plants that dont work well together

I don't think its a bad thing to have two different woods in the tank...  Don't different types of trees grow near each other in forests?

I have also used a large piece of Mopani as a cave - actually that's not how it happened.  I just laid it flat on the bottom of the tank, and my BN dug it out as a cave for himself.  And the cories shared it with him!

You could get a huge piece of Mopani and do a similar thing - plus you can tie java fern and/or anubias onto it as well. 

Yeah I was thinking that I'd love to plant over the Mopani as well. When you say huge piece how big are you thinking? 
And where do you buy your Mopani from? The only shop I know that stocks it sells tiny ugly pieces for an arm and a leg... ebay?

Quick update: The water has gotten even cloudier... 
does anyone know where I can get some Mopani wood cheap or have any they wouldn't mind giving to me ? ;)
(I'll pay whatever the postage is) 

I got my mopani from the local mega-pet stores.  Petsmart and Petco.  But, if you look in the aquatic section, you'll be disappointed.  The keep the really good mopani in the reptile section.  Its expensive, but it will last nearly forever.  (Good luck finding someone willing to give up theirs, I wouldn't!)

My biggest piece is ~6 inches by ~12 inches and ~3 inches thick.

Ah, alright I'll try that out then. Made some pretty big progress today so here is a little update ( with pictures :) )!

Bought black bin liners to use as the background wall paper, will be installed tomorrow.

Bought a new and previously unused ammonia, as my last (very small) bottle was running low. Hoping it will be safe to use.. on the front it says 'active ingredient: Ammonia in the form NH3' and is labelled as "Cloudy Ammonia". The back says nothing about it being pure, but nothing that gave me the impression any dyes, scents or substances were added. I've heard some trick about shaking the bottle, can anyone elaborate? Also, as its a new brand of ammonia, roughly how much should I put in to get a 25 gallon tank up to 4ppm?

Bought a sponge to cut up and place around the external filters 'in' pipe, hopefully preventing any potential platy/cory/aspistos fry taking a trip to the 'summer holiday house'. 

As I think Mumma may have suggested, I played around with the substrate today and varied the levels a bit, also moved the plants around and discovered some great news: the 'driftwood' is has almost lost all it's buoyancy! :D So the terra-cotta pot that was weighing it down has been added to the setup. Opinions? 

Moved the heater across and now sits vertically behind the plants on the left.

I really want to get the coconut hut I had in before in somewhere, as I'm sure the corys will love it, and it's really the only type of 'covered' shelter I can offer them. Any critiques or suggestions on arrangements would be much appreciated ! :)

Before
IMG_3480_zps0968c124.jpg

After, why so cloudy ? :(
IMG_3481_zps6a6b2b05.jpg

Plan for the future as of today (changes frequently :p ) is to plant the back middle across to the left corner with either corkscrew vallis, or just the straight chain swords I think they are called, essentially something that contrasts the texture/colour of the plants I have in the currently. 

Was also considering a 'feature plant' of sorts, maybe to sit just off centre about halfway in the tank (depth), really like the look of those plants with the purple highlighting, any ideas guys? Again, sorry for the lack of proper terms plants haven't really been in my area of fishkeeping yet :p Thanks in advance for all the help guys, would be in a corner eating ice cream and listening to Adele if I didn't have your expertise ;) 

eaglesaquarium said:
I got my mopani from the local mega-pet stores.  Petsmart and Petco.  But, if you look in the aquatic section, you'll be disappointed.  The keep the really good mopani in the reptile section.  Its expensive, but it will last nearly forever.  (Good luck finding someone willing to give up theirs, I wouldn't!)

My biggest piece is ~6 inches by ~12 inches and ~3 inches thick.
How much did that beast set you back? Unfortunately no petsmart or petco in Australia, mainly small and dispersed chain pet stores that sell everything at 2000% of it's actual value. :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back