25 Gallon Planted Community Journey V2

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I dropped about $20-$25 on it.

Ammonia - ingredients should be ammonium hydroxide and water. NOthing else.  I've never heard of "cloudy ammonia".  :dunno:  I would hope to find a better option...

I'd probably tuck the terra cotta pot behind the wood a bit on the left side of the middle back... And then I'd add the coconut cave where the terra cotta pot is currently.  Also, I'd bury the pot so that the substrate sort of flows into it a bit.

We can't allow this:  :shiverupspine:
Robbo89 said:
Thanks in advance for all the help guys, would be in a corner eating ice cream and listening to Adele if I didn't have your expertise
wink.png
The cloudiness is probably just a bacterial bloom.  No worries, its normal.  If it doesn't clear after about 5-7 days, then worry.  Until then, its nothing.

Awesome, wasn't too surprised with the cloudiness as its nothing unusual, just checking :) 

I think I'll have to try that, sounds like it could work out quite nicely, what did you think of the plants I suggested? 
My 'off the top of my head' plant species list is about 3 long so please feel free to offer a much 'better' option in your mind haha :p.

As for the ammonia, went to three seperate stores today and it's all I could find. I'll post a picture up of it and see if I'm overlooking something you may see quite easily. Is there any way I can test it without any harmful side affects?

Another thought, how difficult would it be to get an anubias to seed onto the coconut hut ;) may look a little out of place but I think I could pull it off! lol, other than that I think you could probably tell where I wanted to place the anubias on the driftwood, that huge 90 degree corner. A little bit torn between an anubias there of java moss, and whats the consensus on moss balls? Childish or stylish?

anubias can be tied to just about anything.  My anubias that bloomed was tied to a piece of mopani I had spanning two large rocks, about 6 inches under my lights.  The anubias that was at the bottom of the tank never bloomed.

The moss might look better on the cave than the anubias to be honest. 

The ammonia shake-test is this:  Take the bottle and shake it vigourously for about 20-30 seconds.  If you see foaming, then its no good to use.  If not, you've got a shot.

I think your plant list is just fine.  Readily available, easy plants.  The fish don't care.  Vallis is a nice option, but know that it will melt back before it starts to grow.  Cabomba is nice, but it will also shed quite a bit at times, especially when first added.  Pennywort, hornwort, wisteria are nice and fairly easy.  Frogbit is a nice floating option.

I've never kept the moss ball, but I know that shrimp love to climb all over them looking for morsels to eat... so, if you plan to add shrimp later, adding a moss ball with them is a good idea.

I say, the more moss the merrier :) Especially in a smaller sized tank like yours, everything covered in moss looks amazing! I would put moss on that twisty piece of wood for sure, and try some on the coconut cave too. I have moss and anubias and java fern on the same piece of wood, never has to be one or the other, that's not how nature works. ;)

I like the plant list, maybe try an amazon sword too, if you can find plants somewhere, then they should have swords. 

I should be alright for most types of plants, as I've just found a new store that seems very reliable, cheap and quality! stocking a ton of plants too :D

How would I go about attaching java moss to that driftwood mumma?? And is it difficult to remove if it does turn out to not look all that great? Definitely keen to give it a try though!

Eagle, I'll 'test' the ammonia tomorrow then as it's currently midnight and rather dark :p lol, but I'm afraid it is the only ammonia I was able to find at all :/ How effective can fish in cycling be when I'm about 3 weeks in to the fishless cycle... I could add just the platys as they are fairly hardy... right? :/

As for the plants, is there any real need to have the frogbit with the fish im stocking? My impression of floating plants has always really been pretty poor since an attack of duckweed a few years ago... haha

None of those plants are "necessary".  Just throwing a few out there for you to consider.  Its your tank, choose what you like.

Attaching moss is simple.  Just lay the moss on the wood how you want it, and a little sewing thread wrapped around the wood and moss will hold it in place (tie a knot at the end).

As far as the fish-in cycle... I wouldn't do it!  I'd suggest using a bit of fish food to finish it off.  (First, you don't want platies long term, right?  Second, using fish to finish is always a last resort.)

What's your water stats now?  How much ammonia is being processed daily?

Robbo89 said:
Just been looking at this and got inspired to try out the java fern and moss on that driftwood, whats the larger plant growing from the centre of the wood piece though? just a larger java fern? http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/389125-tank-of-the-year-2011-competition-winner-is/

The large plant in the middle is java fern - microsorum pteropus, I believe. The smaller thinner leaved plants at the right edge is ALSO a java fern, just a narrow leaf variety.

Yeah I was expecting it to be just a different variety, very nice little set up though I'm a big fan of the simple ones! :)

I'll test the water again tomorrow, I've just been keeping really low on the ammonia recently as I feared I'd run out (as I almost have) and have only been putting in 1 ppm per day to keep the bacteria alive.

Platies were in the long term stocking plan, yes. But only 4 of them, would this even be enough to produce the ammonia needed to cycle the filter? :/ 

For that big corner in the driftwood, in your honest opinion (both of you lol), moss or anubias? 

Both.  :hey:

They would produce sufficient ammonia to finish the cycle, but I wouldn't do it.

Where's your nitrite?  Is it spiking up, coming down, anything?

Testing the water now, here is a few pictures of the Ammonia though, what do you think? :/

This was taken after shaking it for about 25 seconds... 
null_zps38130cd1.jpg

Front
null_zps1557b41e.jpg

Back
null_zpsf12d0234.jpg

Will update on the water situation shortly

No ingredient list?  :blink:

I'd not chance it.  Sorry.

It's not supposed to bubble. I wouldn't use it. I think you should just continue your cycle using fish food.

What are the risks if I do choose to chance it? 

I found this; http://www.coles.com.au/Products/Material-Safety-Data-Sheets/search.aspx?src=/MSDS/cleaning-goods/chemicals/smart-buy-cloudy-ammonia-1251.35779.aspx

From what I've heard by asking around, this 'cloudy ammonia' is the only type available around here anymore, worst case scenario what will the additives in the ammonia do to the tank/water/ eventually fish ? :/

While testing the water I noticed (somehow behind the foggiest water I've ever seen) a lot of white string looking algae growing off the glass, crypts, driftwood and filter pipes... I assume this caused or is a result of the bacterial bloom, but should I be worried?

Current water parameters are: 

Ph: 6.8 - 7.0

NH3: 0ppm (used the last of my 'safe' ammonia, about .8ppm yesterday morning) :(

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

I'm no expert but this either means the plants I've put in have consumed all the ammonia and not yet broken down to release it back out, or, I've completely ruined the cycle.... right? Please tell me it's the first one....

I personally wouldn't chance it. I'm not sure about the effects of using the wrong stuff but It's better to be safe than sorry!
It's probably the 1st one and most likely some of the stuff wasn't absorbed by the plants but has already been converted into nitrite then nitrate and the plants have absorbed the nitrate?! (I'm just guessing here)

Blondielovesfish said:
I personally wouldn't chance it. I'm not sure about the effects of using the wrong stuff but It's better to be safe than sorry!
It's probably the 1st one and most likely some of the stuff wasn't absorbed by the plants but has already been converted into nitrite then nitrate and the plants have absorbed the nitrate?! (I'm just guessing here)
Hmmm sounds possible, hoping thats it. :) :/

A lot more changed this afternoon; 

Before:
IMG_3481_zps6a6b2b05.jpg

After:
null_zps5766dcec.jpg

I did end up fitting the black bin liner for the background, as well as putting the coconut house back in, and as eagle suggested moved the pot just behind the driftwood (which, has now lost all buoyancy, so the rock that was attached to it has now been removed :) )

While moving the plants around and such, I lost a huge amount of leaves... is this the "melting" process you talked about eagle? Just hoping that the plants will bounce back and stop turning to slime / dropping all their leaves :( Threw out about 4 full plants as their entire stems had become like a wet piece of string. :/
null_zpsba9a8d78.jpg

And lastly, I accepted defeat with the Ammonia situation and decided not to risk it with this new stuff. Going to hunt and maybe even look online for some 100% pure ammonia, even if it means that the bacteria starve inside the filter and the cycle has to restart. Not worth the risk.

So, to deal with the cloudy water although it wasn't too much of an issue, just a bit of a pain, I did a 50% water change and also made a few adjustments to my filter media. 

I'm now really excited to try out attaching some java fern / moss to the top of that coconut and on the driftwood, the fern might look a little out of place but the moss might go alright. Also decided on picking up an anubias to 'super glue' (trusting you here eagle) onto the driftwood.

Finally, the space behind the coconut and maybe between the pot will be filled with 1 other species of plant, but undecided yet. I like the corkscrew vallis, but its one of 5 plants I actually know of :p Please suggest some species, as I'm almost convinced on buying them online, so I should be able to pick up pretty much anything .. hopefully :) Only requirements are something that is hardy (I am a massive rookie when it comes to plants) and has a different colour/texture to the plants I have in there currently. :) Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back