2 Guppies in 3.5 gallon tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Not sure if anyone explained why to remove the carbon. Sorry if this is duplicative. You are so persistent I feel like I must respond so you know why it is neccessary to remove the carbon..
ā˜†
Carbon basically cancels out the medication. It is the material in most of the kits and is what is inside the replacement cartridges.
It absorbs impurities as well as medications. If you leave the carbon cartridges in it will suck out the medication! Hope this makes sense and if I am wrong please someone correct me...or if someone already said that, whoops. :-

(Eventually you will learn that you don't have to replace those cartridges as much as they "reccomend" ).
For now just do the next indicated thing!
Thank you this helps. Yeah trying to be persistent :) Iā€™ve got a bigger tank coming but that wonā€™t be ready for few weeks as everyone suggests cycling for few weeks. Also the guppy hasnā€™t been fed for 1-2 days, as a precaution. Do I continue feeding it? I know they can go few days without it plus with the filter out, food will make more mess? Whatā€™s the thing about feeding them cooked peas? Do I just drop one cooked pea in there?

Last edited:
Are those cartridges all that's in the filter? They are bags containing carbon. You could try cutting a slit in the bag and emptying the carbon out. There will still be bacteria on the fabric part of the cartridge. The ideal would be to get some filter sponge, any make, and cut it to the size of a cartridge. Then hold the empty cartridge and sponge next to each other and put them in the filter.

When you get the new tank, just move the fish and filter over at the same time. If the media (cartridges, sponge etc) will fit in the new filter you can just put them in the new filter. Yo won't need to cycle the new tank as you'll already have bacteria in the old media.

What a super stressful situation! I totally sympathize with you, 10 years ago when I got my first aquarium the local fish store sold me a common pleco for a 20L/5Gal, which become absolutely massive! Thankfully a friend of the family has a tank about the size of his wall and he was happy to take it.

It sounds like you've gone on a journey of learning to try and make sure your fish will be happy and healthy, that is more then a lot of people do, you're in good hands here!

Your guppies look lovely! I am glad you came to this forum and best of luck!

Thank you this helps. Yeah trying to be persistent :) Iā€™ve got a bigger tank coming but that wonā€™t be ready for few weeks as everyone suggests cycling for few weeks. Also the guppy hasnā€™t been fed for 1-2 days, as a precaution. Do I continue feeding it? I know they can go few days without it plus with the filter out, food will make more mess? Whatā€™s the thing about feeding them cooked peas? Do I just drop one cooked pea in there?
Hey Ratchet~sorry I didn't respond sooner.

Honestly I am not that experienced with diagnosing illnesses. I've been treating minnows, it's ongoing and I had to euthanize several this past week. From what I could tell it was serious bloat, possible septicemia possibly from parasites...I used Kanaplex and Furan and Prazipro. Both before and after and during a few of them hemmoraghed, some were gasping, some just stayed huge. I had been many months with it...it started when I didn't turn on my ac soon enough this past summer. We all freak about heaters... but it didn't occur to me to cool my place down. I'm frugal and was using fans to save money, anyway, the point is that is about all I could contribute to your situation!

As far as I know, for the Pea, (recommended for constipation, and combined with garlic for worms...I think), I know you cook a frozen green pea and take the skin off, mince the inside and feed it to fish...
I would start a new thread asking for specifics on that.

I hope your guppy is okay, if not I really hope you get another tank set up and keep at it.

I am stressed now because I am not sure if I should treat my new Peacock Gudgeons for worms before I put them in their destination tank !!!:huh:

After I get that settled I am going to shut down some tanks, for,a while I had three extra tanks for treating and one 3.5 for a single fry. Crazy making but it will be worth it.
Eventually I have a plan for my tank scenario, until the. I am a slave to gill and fin and water!!!

When I am sure about something I will share, though.
Or sometimes guess with disclaimer :lol:
I worry about giving wrong info ..

Ps: whenever I get stuck and need help fast I may start another thread...which is my plan at the moment!

Edited for serious typos....

Last edited:
Are those cartridges all that's in the filter? They are bags containing carbon. You could try cutting a slit in the bag and emptying the carbon out. There will still be bacteria on the fabric part of the cartridge. The ideal would be to get some filter sponge, any make, and cut it to the size of a cartridge. Then hold the empty cartridge and sponge next to each other and put them in the filter.

When you get the new tank, just move the fish and filter over at the same time. If the media (cartridges, sponge etc) will fit in the new filter you can just put them in the new filter. Yo won't need to cycle the new tank as you'll already have bacteria in the old media.
This I food information thank you.

Hey Ratchet~sorry I didn't respond sooner.

Honestly I am not that experienced with diagnosing illnesses. I've been treating minnows, it's ongoing and I had to euthanize several this past week. From what I could tell it was serious bloat, possible septicemia possibly from parasites...I used Kanaplex and Furan and Prazipro. Both before and after and during a few of them hemmoraghed, some were gasping, some just stayed huge. I had been many months with it...it started when I didn't turn on my ac soon enough this past summer. We all freak about heaters... but it didn't occur to me to cool my place down. I'm frugal a d was using g fa s thei g to save money, anyway, the point is that is about all I could contribute!

As far as I know, for the Pea, (recommended for constipation, and combined with garlic for worms...I think), I know you book a frozen green pea and take the skin off, mince the inside and feed it to fish...
I would start a new thread asking for specifics on that.

I hope your guppy is okay, if not I really hope you get another tank set up and keep at it.

I am stressed now because I am not sure if I should treat my new Peacock Gudgeons for worms before I put them in their destination tank !!!:huh:

After I get that settled I am going to shut down some tanks, for,a while I had three extra tanks for treating and one 3.5 for a single fry. Crazy making but it will be worth it.
Eventually I have a plan for my tank scenario, until the. I am a slave to gill and fin and water!!!

When I am sure about something I will share, though.
Or sometimes guess with disclaimer :lol:
I worry about giving wrong info ..

Ps: whenever I get stuck and need help fast I may start another thread...which is my plan at the moment!
I am in similar situation I do t want to take the last sick guppy to the new tank. You have way more experience than I do, Iā€™m sure you will do fine. Best of luck and thanks for the encouragement.

I got the meds, hard to find locally. What is carbon? Is it the filter? Take It out and run in? For how long do I keep filter out?
Also itā€™s been 3 days, tank is running without filter, fish seems to be doing a bit better but the poop maybe warm thing is still sticking out of it. Iā€™ve given it or the fish 2 doses of the meds, now for how long do I keep running the tank without the filter?

Also itā€™s been 3 days, tank is running without filter, fish seems to be doing a bit better but the poop maybe warm thing is still sticking out of it. Iā€™ve given it or the fish 2 doses of the meds, now for how long do I keep running the tank without the filter?
You need the filter on the tank, remove the carbon part from the filter so it doesn't absorb the meds, but put the rest of the filter media (sponge, floss etc) back in and put the filter back on. Has it dried out? Worried that the filter media might be dead and have crashed your cycle

Hi all I appreciate the info you guys provided. I have a new challenge. I need to transfer Rainbow the Dumbo guppy to 5 gallon tank. I have 4 lbs of new gravel and couple decorations, from old tank. I was able to reuse 1/4 of water from old tank. The fish is still in 3.5 gallon tank. Iā€™m hearing different things some say I need to move old gravel some say no stick the old filter in to new tank. If I stick old filter in new tank? Do I run old tank with the fishy in it without filter? I really need this one to make it.

Hi @Ratchet4x4 ,

First, let me tell you how impressed I am with your tenacity. I just read this whole thread and your fishkeeping life started out with a nightmare scenario, and you've made it so far, major major kudos to you.

Second, regarding your guppy, I'm not 100% sure what the situation is with the filter in your 3gal tank, but I'll make it simple: anything that has been in the water in the 3gal tank should go into the 5 gallon when you move Rainbow. Do not rinse the stuff before you put it in the 5g. If you don't like the gravel or decorations you have in the old tank, it can be temporary, but you need to try to move over as much of the good bacteria as possible. If you don't want the gravel mixing, you can put it in a mesh bag (if you don't have anything like that even a tupperware cup will do, just try and get it as clean as possible (meaning no soap or residues)).

Leave everything that was in the 3g in the 5g for the next month, and then you can gradually take the stuff you don't like out one item at a time.

Next question: how is Rainbow doing? Is it still having stringy poop? Is it eating ok? How is it's behavior? We want to make sure that your fish hopefully pulls through, since just like you, it has been living through a whirlwind the past couple of weeks.

It sounds like you are on the right track with this, give us an update (and maybe a few pictures:)) after you have done the move, and we will take it from there :)

Hang in there, the stressful situation will get better!!

Thank you @mcordelia for the compliment. The fish seems to be doing ok. I donā€™t see any signs of stress, that is why Iā€™m hesitant to move the fish. I want to get one more Tequila Sunrise guppy thatā€™s why I got a bigger tank. I donā€™t intend to keep more than 2 maybe 3 total in the new tank, as I donā€™t have the space for something larger. I have moved 2 of the old decorations/ plants from old tank and I did put 2 new ones in there. I have NOT started cycling the tank yet, because I donā€™t have any old gravel in yet. How much of the old gravel can I take from the tank the fish is in, without stressing it? There one clay type (donā€™t know the matrial) decor left in 3 gallon tank that fish likes to rest on top or hide behind it. If I move that piece wouldnā€™t it stress the fish? If I take all the gravel? Wouldnā€™t that also stress the fish?
If I move the filter from old tank, while cycling will the fish be okay without filter for few days? I have removed filter before for couple of days when I gave it ā€œApi General Cureā€ meds. And the stringy poop which I thought was a parasite, maybe a fin. I just didnā€™t see this fin thing on the bottom before. Some people say cycle for 48 hours before putting fish in, some people say 5 weeks. My gut feeling says to gradually remove gravel from tank little by little then run the cycle. I havenā€™t turned the new tank on yet. Also thereā€™s no marking on tank as far as how much to fill it up.

if it were me, I would move everything (including Rainbow) over today. I think you would be doing rainbow a disservice by taking away things that have the bacteria he needs on them right now just to do a fishless cycle in the other tank. The idea is that if you move everything over (including the filter), most, if not all, of the bacteria in the 3g will move over with Rainbow, so there should not be any more of a spike in parameters than if he stayed in the 3g with the same stuff. Plus, you will have the benefit of two extra gallons to buffer the water with. So if it were me, I would literally take everything that is in the 3g (water included in this particular case), and move it in the 5g, then top it off with 2g of treated water, and see how it goes. If things are well after a month, you can take out the extra decorations and filter one item at a time every couple of days.

To provide some background explanation:
currently, the 3gal tank has the most beneficial bacteria for fish that you have in your household. The 5gal tank has few, if any bacteria, and no fish. If you take the stuff from the 3gal tank and put it in the 5gal but don't add any ammonia or fish, then those bacteria will not have any fish poop to eat, and as a result will die, and your household will be left with less bacteria than what you started with. Likewise, Rainbow will be left with fewer bacteria if you take away decorations or other items in its tank to move to the 5 gal, without moving him/her along with them. That's why I'm advocating that you try and keep the bacteria with the fish, so moving everything all at once will allow the bacteria to move from the stuff currently in the 3g onto the stuff in the 5g over the next month. Then you can adjust things visually how you'd like.

and as far as how much water to put into the 5 gallon tank: if it has a black rim on top, usually you add enough water to cover the bottom of the black rim, but don't go past halfway up the black rim. That way if you need to stick your hand in there you won't immediately overflow.

and as far as how much water to put into the 5 gallon tank: if it has a black rim on top, usually you add enough water to cover the bottom of the black rim, but don't go past halfway up the black rim. That way if you need to stick your hand in there you won't immediately overflow.
Thank you for detailed information. This makes sense, when I set up a new tank in the beginning there were no good bacteria and maybe water levels were off as the tank wasnā€™t cycled so the fish gradually Died. Now Iā€™m transferring fish with their good bacteria so the tank has something to work with, this makes sense. So I take the old filter from 3/3.5 gallon tank and just place in the front of new bigger tank and leave for several days?

Most reactions

trending

Back