2 Guppies in 3.5 gallon tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

With reference to heaters, I didn't mention it before as guppies don't NEED need a heater - I've known them to be kept in a half barrell outdoor ponds (similar) where night time temperatures are going to dip. Good luck!
This lady at the check out counter kept stressing it like majorly. Plus where I live itā€™s been 90 degrees F and I leave my A/C at 79/80 sometimes 80 they also sit near an sliding glass door thatā€™s covered with blinds. I couldnā€™t understand the heater setup myself, maybe when itā€™s November or December and indoor temperatures are at 68/69. Anyway I went ahead picked up. 7.5 watt and will continue to monitor. Iā€™m a little hesitant to disturb them and their environment because they seem to be swimming up and down. What percent of water should I change, remember I started last Saturday on Ocf. 10th. Iā€™ve also wrapped them in thicker towel to maintain heat. Iā€™m a little hopeful now that I see them active and hiding at times. Iā€™m also just feeding them one time in the morning, since itā€™s a 3.5 gallon tank.

Last edited:
With reference to heaters, I didn't mention it before as guppies don't NEED need a heater - I've known them to be kept in a half barrell outdoor ponds (similar) where night time temperatures are going to dip. Good luck!

Oh crazy lol, I'll remember that as I'm planning a guppy tank in the near future. They can be silly expensive -.-'

Oh crazy lol, I'll remember that as I'm planning a guppy tank in the near future. They can be silly expensive -.-'
Yeah this whole fish thing was supposed to a basic fish in a bowl with food for a little kid, itā€™s turned in to massive science project and quite stressful. They seem to be thriving so Iā€™m afraid to change a whole lot other than giving them good water quality. I keep the walls of tank wrapped with a nice thick towel because I feel like current weather is warm enough. Once we removed towel and instant light, startled them.

No fish should be living in a 3.5 gallon tank, this is animal cruelty, I don't mean to be rude, but for the fish's sake, somebody needs to tell you this.

40 litres is the absolute minimum I would use to keep any fish, or indeed any form of aquatic life.

Jesus, just finished reading the whole thread. Please just give the fish to somebody with an aquarium, or return them, as you are going to have more dead fish on your hands very soon.

They've just been put into the tank, with a load of chemicals (i've never used bacteria, or conditioner) and now you are stressing the fish out further by doing 50% water changes the day after you move them in.

You say you are
stressing about this "big science project" which is actually a 3.5 gallon tank which is about to contain two more dead fish. Please do these Guppies a favour and rehome them, and start an aquarium with no fish in it to begin with, just plants.

I cannot imagine what these Guppies are feeling like right now, suffering for sure.

Last edited:
Yeah this whole fish thing was supposed to a basic fish in a bowl with food for a little kid, itā€™s turned in to massive science project and quite stressful. They seem to be thriving so Iā€™m afraid to change a whole lot other than giving them good water quality. I keep the walls of tank wrapped with a nice thick towel because I feel like current weather is warm enough. Once we removed towel and instant light, startled them.
The thing is, the basic fish in a bowl for a kid is a cartoon simplification really. These are living beings we're taking care of, and when I was a kid, my parents made it very clear that any animal we got, we had to do the very best we could to give it the best possible care, because we were making a choice to take responsibility for a life. No matter how big or small, the creature had no choice in us getting it, or what environment we gave it, so they made us research (back before the internet, so getting library books) and learn about the animal and what care it needed, before getting the pet.

Kids can learn a lot about the value of life, responsibility, nature etc by taking care of an animal. Getting a fish to treat it as not much more than decoration will teach them about death, or you'll be running to the fish store to try to find identical fish to fool them that Nemo number six is still the original one. Obviously, this isn't great animal care, and it doesn't teach very valuable life lessons either. Fish shouldn't just be practice, disposable pets.

It is a really steep learning curve when you first get a fish tank, I get that, believe me! You'll have a much easier time of it if you upgrade to a ten-20 gallon tank. It won't require as much constant maintenance aside from the usual weekly cleaning, fish are more likely to survive, heaters are easy to find to fit a standard 10 or 20 gallon, and you can create a nice little ecosystem that your kids can learn a lot from.

Iā€™ll get a bigger tank, you guys make me sound like Iā€™m this cruel person thatā€™s neglecting my fish. Iā€™ve done everything everyoneā€™s asked me to do or help me out. I did another test and the only thing was my ph levels were .2 percent higher. Iā€™ll get the bigger fish tank but believe me Iā€™m doing everything experienced people are telling me to do

Iā€™ll get a bigger tank, you guys make me sound like Iā€™m this cruel person thatā€™s neglecting my fish. Iā€™ve done everything everyoneā€™s asked me to do or help me out. I did another test and the only thing was my ph levels were .2 percent higher. Iā€™ll get the bigger fish tank but believe me Iā€™m doing everything experienced people are telling me to do

I totally get why even a small tank could feel like a massive science project, after all it's the same stuff as any size tank, and harder to manage at that. Especially in the chain pet stores, it's pretty much marketed as a hobby that "anyone can do with ease, just set it up and move on!" and then when folks jump in they find out about cycling and everything else after the fact after things go haywire. It's amazing how many products out there for aquarium hobbyists DONT mention cycling. In my opinion, it's irresponsible on the part of some companies, to just brand things as "Instantly add fish!".

But no worries, you're doing whatchya can. Shows ya care, and nothing can be expected beyond that despite any online opinions (as you can tell, ppl are very passionate about this stuff >.>)

I am sorry about the fish you've lost. Before you know it you'll be sorting out what all you can do with your 3.5 gallon that would be "fine all around" (personally I vote a few shrimp or even a cool small breed snail tank).

Last edited:
No we're not, really.
The fact you are willing to get a bigger tank and are still engaging with us proves that isn't the case.
We've all started out and we've all made mistakes, and it's human nature to take being told "that was a mistake" personally, but please don't.
Once your tank is established things get easier, trust us. And do stick around.

The thing is, the basic fish in a bowl for a kid is a cartoon simplification really. These are living beings we're taking care of, and when I was a kid, my parents made it very clear that any animal we got, we had to do the very best we could to give it the best possible care, because we were making a choice to take responsibility for a life. No matter how big or small, the creature had no choice in us getting it, or what environment we gave it, so they made us research (back before the internet, so getting library books) and learn about the animal and what care it needed, before getting the pet.

Kids can learn a lot about the value of life, responsibility, nature etc by taking care of an animal. Getting a fish to treat it as not much more than decoration will teach them about death, or you'll be running to the fish store to try to find identical fish to fool them that Nemo number six is still the original one. Obviously, this isn't great animal care, and it doesn't teach very valuable life lessons either. Fish shouldn't just be practice, disposable pets.

It is a really steep learning curve when you first get a fish tank, I get that, believe me! You'll have a much easier time of it if you upgrade to a ten-20 gallon tank. It won't require as much constant maintenance aside from the usual weekly cleaning, fish are more likely to survive, heaters are easy to find to fit a standard 10 or 20 gallon, and you can create a nice little ecosystem that your kids can learn a lot from.

I'm genuinely sorry if my comment came across as harsher than intended, usually I insert a lot more smiley faces, purely because I now how tone can get lost on a forum! I've been going through some personal stuff too that is probably showing in the way I type, so I really do apologise for that.:blush:

I've never thought that you should get rid of the fish, that you're heartless or cruel, or weren't trying. You wouldn't have made the post, or worried so much about whether they'd be okay with the heater, if you didn't care!

What I meant was that a lot of people, myself included, despite being raised in a home with fish tanks - who don't realise just how much you need to learn to keep fish! Like you said, you think it'll be like the typical image of a goldfish in a bowl, feeding it once or twice a day, then you find out that you need to learn all about water chemistry, fish physiology, nitrogen and ammonia and tank dimensions and GH and, and and, it goes on and on! I've said it before and will say it again here, even if throwing yourself in full force, the first year, the learning curve feels vertical! It gets easier, believe me, but I also found it overwhelming. it's a lot to take in when you only really wanted a little tank for the kids (and I only planned to have a 'little' 15 gallon guppy community tank when I joined the hobby at first! Didn't want anything huge or complex).

I was trying to be encouraging about the positive lessons I learned from having pets as a kid, that you can turn this into a teaching opportunity, rather than it being a nightmare chore for you, because it can be so overwhelming. If you frame it as something you and your children can learn together, it might not feel like so much :) And that even though it feels natural at first that a smaller tank will be easier, in reality it is actually easier with a slighter larger, but still manageably small tank like a 10-20 gallon, purely because it's easier to maintain stable water quality in that size tank. Dilution makes it all easier, while a 3.5g needs water changing so much more often, even without much of a bioload. It'll be better for you, not just the fish :)

Would love to help, if you'd accept my apologies!

The Guppies will have a much better chance if you put them into a bigger tank. But it's still going to take a lot of time and dedication to ensure they survive the cycling process.

I still think your best chance is to rehome the Guppies, as it can be easy to find somebody local with an aquarium who will take them in. I once had 5 Neon Tetras who didn't work well with my Betta and found somebody a few miles away with a much bigger tank and more Neons to put them with.

A safer and more stress free way to start in the hobby is to set up a tank with just plants to begin with, as they help speed up the cycling process, and learn to use a testing kit so you can check the condition of your water, and provide a suitable environment for your fish.

Once you have a tank that is ready, then is the time to put in some fish. It is less stress and effort for you in the long run, and you will get much better results.

I totally get why even a small tank could feel like a massive science project, after all it's the same stuff as any size tank, and harder to manage at that. Especially in the chain pet stores, it's pretty much marketed as a hobby that "anyone can do with ease, just set it up and move on!" and then when folks jump in they find out about cycling and everything else after the fact after things go haywire. It's amazing how many products out there for aquarium hobbyists DONT mention cycling. In my opinion, it's irresponsible on the part of some companies, to just brand things as "Instantly add fish!".

But no worries, you're doing whatchya can. Shows ya care, and nothing can be expected beyond that despite any online opinions (as you can tell, ppl are very passionate about this stuff >.>)

I am sorry about the fish you've lost. Before you know it you'll be sorting out what all you can do with your 3.5 gallon that would be "fine all around" (personally I vote a few shrimp or even a cool small breed snail tank).
Thank you Iā€™m going to be switching to a 5 gallon soon. How may days should I run a fish less cycle? There just one fish in there for now, I had a thorough conversation with a fish expert and they suggested that I get 5 gallon tank at minimum and wait to add any more fish to to existing 3.5 gallon tank and see how the fish does. They said itā€™s the filters on 3.5 gallon tanks that are ā€œgarbageā€. Thank you for your encouragement, it means a lot.

How may days should I run a fish less cycle?
As long as it takes. My 55l has only now started to show Nitrites after 56 days...............
You can speed things up by taking stuff out of the smaller tank, what filter do you have there at the moment?

Most reactions

Back