2 Guppies in 3.5 gallon tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Ratchet4x4

Reaction score
Help, Iā€™m hearing a lot of different things and different ideas. My tequila sunrise died after 2 days. My dumbo guppy died day before yesterday, I had to replace them both with same type of fish. I got my water sample tested both times and they told me the water was fine. They kept telling me to get a heater. I finally picked up a 15 w flat heater, now some are saying there going to be too warm? I looked at the thermometer and it was showing about 78. Any ideas? I need help as Iā€™m brand new with this and Iā€™m losing sleep over this. Iā€™ve wrapped a thick towel around tank and it seems to be helping, I also keep my air conditioner off Down stairs so temp doesnā€™t drop lower that 79/80 in the room. I know itā€™s gonna get cold, what watt heater is ideal? I ready 5 watts per gallon somewhere now the reviews say that Aqueon 15 watt is too much for 3.5 Gallon tank. Iā€™ve been adding bacteria starter everyday. Ive conditioned the water also and changed 30+ percent of water Monday after 1st one died. Today is Friday Iā€™m planning to change water today. Any ideas suggestions?

So initially I added them same day 45 minutes later, the lady at the petsmart failed to mention anything but lady at check out stressed getting a heater. Now for the 2nd set of fish the tank cycle has run 6 days now, and new fish have been there, 4 days for first and 2-3 days for 2nd one.

Okay, so your problems are:
Tank is too small (imo) I have 3 guppies in 60L at the moment, although I will be adding more, it won't be many.
Your tank isn't cycled, this is what is killing your fish. Ammonia and nitrites are quick killers and it'll keep happening so long as your tank isn't cycled. Change the water everyday, don't add anymore fish. If it were me, I'd return the fish, invest in a bigger tank and follow this guide to do a fishless cycle. https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

You also need your own test kit. A lot of store workers have no idea about levels. They could be telling you it's fine when there is ammonia and nitrite in the water. Next time the store tests the water ask them for the numbers.

What about heaters???

Sounds like the heater you got is a preset heater, which are generally set to 78 degrees, so it's working as it's suppose to. Sometimes the boxes will say it's preset and tell you at what temp., but some boxes don't say at all. If it is an adjustable heater, it will always advertise that fact on the box somewhere.

There are adjustable heaters, which work well and are often fully submersible, but depending on your tank you may not be able to fit one (depending on where you look and what their options are).

Just depends on what you're taking care of.

It is unfortunate that major pet store chains never recommend a fishless cycle, or even mention the cycle, but don't let it discourage you!

If you are interested in getting a bigger tank, I recommend calling your local pawn shops, thrift stores, or even donation sale centers like Goodwill or Arc, as you can usually find full setups that would cost hundreds if new, but used go for like 30-50 bucks. Be sure to clean thoroughly, google methods if needed.

My 20 gallon long setup was almost 380, but I saw a comparable all-included used setup at the thrift store for 50 bucks a couple weeks later (light wasn't as good though, I spent a lot on my light, it was a kick in the wallet).

Either way, best of luck!

Last edited:
Thank you, I got the heater but I havenā€™t put it in yet because in Northern California, itā€™s 90+ F degrees outside and I keep my a/c temperature at 79/80 because of the fish. I have a thick towel around the walls of the tank. Iā€™m afraid the flat heater might get too warm for the fish. I purchased a controllable heater, but that wonā€™t be coming for a while, so I had to pick one up ASAP because I got scared. Right now itā€™s too warm I feel like to put the heater in because the thermostat (if itā€™s working properly) shows itā€™s at 77/78 degrees. Iā€™m going to petco and get 7.5 watts. Iā€™m at a point where itā€™s becoming slightly over whelming to take care of them because theyā€™re so delicate and Iā€™m constantly worried about them. Iā€™m feeding them once a day. Thank you thatā€™s good information. I got the guppies on the 10th and replaced one on Oct. 12th, the other one 14th. So I have tequila sunrise guppy and dumbo guppy. I do admit now that I see the new tequila sunrise, this one is way more active than the last one, itā€™s possible it was already dying, but Iā€™m sure not cycling may have done majority of damage. Appreciate all of you guys help.

Last edited:
Thank you, I got the heater but I havenā€™t put it in yet because in Northern California, itā€™s 90+ F degrees outside and I keep my a/c temperature at 79/80 because of the fish. I have a thick towel around the walls of the tank. Iā€™m afraid the flat heater might get too warm for the fish. I purchased a controllable heater, but that wonā€™t be coming for a while, so I had to pick one up ASAP because I got scared. Right now itā€™s too warm I feel like to put the heater in because the thermostat (if itā€™s working properly) shows itā€™s at 77/78 degrees. Iā€™m going to petco and get 7.5 watts. Iā€™m at a point where itā€™s becoming slightly over whelming to take care of them because theyā€™re so delicate and Iā€™m constantly worried about them. Iā€™m feeding them once a day. Thank you thatā€™s good information. I got the guppies on the 10th and replaced one on Oct. 12th, the other one 14th. So I have tequila sunrise guppy and dumbo guppy. I do admit now that I see the new tequila sunrise, this one is way more active than the last one, itā€™s possible it was already dying, but Iā€™m sure not cycling may have done majority of damage. Appreciate all of you guys help.

Yeeaahh I can sympathize with that, doing a fish in cycle is unfortunately something a lot of people end up going through, might help ease your thoughts to read more about fish-in cycles. There are a few ways you can go about it to make it more safe for your fish (if you have to do a fish in that is).

Unfortunately, a lot of chain pet stores also have poor conditions for their fish, leading to a multitude of possible issues. I was talking to one of the employees at 1 store (won't say which) who cares for the tanks and fish, and he was a huge hobbyist himself. From what he told me, they're pretty much stuck following the company instruction on setups, care, and maintenance. For example, he hated the gravel in the cory tank but he has no say to fix it, kind of sucked to hear that he wasn't allowed to care for the fish based on what they were, but it happens.

If you do end up getting a bigger tank like a 10 gallon or something, your 3.5 will make a great little quarantine tank which will immensely help to avoid hitch-hikers on plants and sickly fish in your main tank.

Hope all goes well, be sure to keep asking questions, the forum is here to help and most any issue you have can be overcome - just part of the hobby ^.^

In my humble opinion if you can afford it and have the space get at least a 20 gallon. bigger tanks are easier to keep maintained and the water wont go bad as quickly as it does in a smaller tanks. tanks like that 3.5 you have are death traps to many things can go wrong expecilly if you are not an experienced fish keeper.

Hi, welcome!
Try not to lose sleep, it's a learning experience. Doing research first is the most important part.
A bigger tank is the way to go.
The 3.5 tank, I think I have that one, too, is great to have on hand if you need to isolate or quarantine fish. Or you could keep a Mystery snail or some shrimp if you want to keep it running.
Good luck ā˜†

Hey so you dont need a heater for guppies. They do fine in temperatures ranging from 62F-82F, some are able to be kept in ponds even, in some temperate areas where winter stays in the 60s range.

If your home temperatures sit in the 70s, I wouldn't worry about a heater at all, not unless you want to keep a fish that needs warmer than your ambient temperature.

But yes, you should cycle your tank, and choose a larger tank if you wish to keep guppies, and check your GH range (water hardness, not your pH). Guppies need over 143ppm GH

With reference to heaters, I didn't mention it before as guppies don't NEED need a heater - I've known them to be kept in a half barrell outdoor ponds (similar) where night time temperatures are going to dip. Good luck!

Hi, welcome!
Try not to lose sleep, it's a learning experience. Doing research first is the most important part.
A bigger tank is the way to go.
The 3.5 tank, I think I have that one, too, is great to have on hand if you need to isolate or quarantine fish. Or you could keep a Mystery snail or some shrimp if you want to keep it running.
Good luck ā˜†
Iā€™m about do my 2nd water change today (Saturday) I did one Monday. When I take 30-50% of the water out, how long can fish stay at lower levels of tank? Since I need to add bacteria starter and conditioner to new water and let it sit, and for how long? Iā€™m afraid to make a lot of changes because theyā€™re active and doing ok. One thing I havenā€™t done is that stick in a water heater.
Iā€™m afraid that a 15w that I have will boil them so Iā€™m getting a 7.5 w today.

A heater won't boil fish unless it malfunctions. They have thermostats which switch the heater off when the temp gets to the right level.

I add the new water to the tank as soon as I've run it, though some members say to let it sit for 30 minutes.
I put the water conditioner in the bucket, then run in cold water at full speed, adding some boiling water from a kettle to warm it. This churns the water up to mix everything together and allow the dechlorinator to work. As you are in the US, it is safe to use hot tap water to warm the water if your tap water is a lot colder than the tank water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back