Rainbow Mosaic Guppy Transfer - New Tank Setup

Ratchet4x4

Reaction score
Hello All, I was able to get a big tank, a glass one. Not too happy with the craftsmanship’s as glue residue everywhere. Anyhow, my Mosaic Guppy is currently in 3.5 gallon tank and I want to transfer to a 5 gallon tank. How much of the old water can I put in new tank to begin cycling process? How do I add some of old decorations in to new tank? If I take them out, from new tank won’t it stress out guppy because unfamiliar environment? I want to reuse some of the gravel also, because Its got the good bacteria in it. Tips advice appreciated. It’s just one guppy right now! I have 7.5 watt heater also that I was using for my 3.5 gallon tank and new tank has a built in plastic wall for the filters and heater placement, should I use this heater or get 15 watt one? I got 7.5 for 3.5 gallon tank because I was afraid it would roast them.

Just set up the new tank with some gravel, ornaments and plants. Move some of the old water across with the fish and filter. Then top up the new tank with dechlorinated water. There's no need to cycle the new tank if you move the old filter into it.

Is the new tank second hand or brand new?
If it's second hand, check the silicon (glue that holds the glass together) for white patches, air bubbles, and touch it to see if it's hard or soft. Hard silicon is bad. Good silicon should be firm but squishable. Not sure if squishable is a word but it fits.

Last edited:
Just set up the new tank with some gravel, ornaments and plants. Move some of the old water across with the fish and filter. Then top up the new tank with dechlorinated water. There's no need to cycle the new tank if you move the old filter into it.

If it's second hand, check the silicon (glue that holds the glass together) for white patches, air bubbles, and touch it to see if it's hard or soft. Hard silicon is bad. Good silicon should be firm but squishable. Not sure is squishable is a word but it fits.
Squishable is perfect to describe silicone

If it's second hand, check the silicon (glue that holds the glass together) for white patches, air bubbles, and touch it to see if it's hard or soft. Hard silicon is bad. Good silicon should be firm but squishable. Not sure if squishable is a word but it fits.
The tank is brand new, I want to use all the gravel from old tank lol. How much water should I take from old tank. New tank though same brand have different filters. The old tank is 6 weeks old and need to be replaced anyway. How can I move decor from old tank in new tank while the guppy is in there, will it freak out if I take Decor there?

If you are using the gravel from the old tank, do a water change and gravel clean the substrate one day, and move the fish and gravel across the following day. That way the gravel will be clean when you move it.

On the day of the move, turn the heater off and unplug it. Wait 10 minutes and remove the heater from the tank. Take the ornaments out and put them somewhere safe. If you are careless and chase the fish around, it will probably chuck a sad and spaz out, but it will settle down after a bit. If you move slowly the fish will be fine.

Once you remove the ornaments, scoop or syphon out 75% of the water and put it in the new tank. Then use a net to catch the fish out and put them in a bucket of tank water with a lid to stop them jumping out. You can put the plants in the bucket too.

Scoop out the gravel and put it in the new tank. Add more gravel if required. If you are using new gravel, wash it with tap water before adding to the new tank.

Put the ornaments and plants in the new tank.

Top up the new tank with dechlorinated water. Put the filter on the new tank, add the fish and it's done.

-----------------------
The old tank is 6 weeks old and need to be replaced anyway.
What do you mean by this statement?
If you meant filter media/ material, you don't replace the media. You squeeze it out in a bucket of tank water and re-use it. The bucket of dirty water gets poured on the garden/ lawn.
The only time you replace filter materials is when they start to break down.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back