2 filter?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have one c4 fluval filter and my water doesn't seem to get perfectly clear on my 50 gallon (4f) tank. I have 1 marina s20 filter and one other c4 fluval filter so I was wondering if I should have one of the 2 filter in extra on my tank ( one at each opposite side) so that there is more circulation and more debris can get removed. What do you think?

What is your water change schedule? Do you clean the filter?

The first thing to know is, what is causing the unclear water? If it is suspended particulate matter, more filtration might help, or it might not. If it is caused by something else, such as a bacteria bloom, diatom bloom, or organic bloom, the filter will do very little to clear it.

And the effect of the flow on the fish is always the prime concern.

The first thing to know is, what is causing the unclear water? If it is suspended particulate matter, more filtration might help, or it might not. If it is caused by something else, such as a bacteria bloom, diatom bloom, or organic bloom, the filter will do very little to clear it.

And the effect of the flow on the fish is always the prime concern.
It is suspended particule in the water. What is an organic bloom? The flow would not be a big concern, it is adjustable on both and would not bother the fish I think especially the marina s20 filter. I don't know exactly what is causing this

I clean the filter, I change 20-30% water and vacuum the bottom of the tank every week
You really shouldn’t need to clean the filter every week...

I clean mine once a month.

It is suspended particule in the water. What is an organic bloom? The flow would not be a big concern, it is adjustable on both and would not bother the fish I think especially the marina s20 filter. I don't know exactly what is causing this
Any chance of a picture of your tank?

You really shouldn’t need to clean the filter every week...

I clean mine once a month.

Any chance of a picture of your tank?
oops no I don't clean the filter every week, my sentence was not clear. I only change a part of the filter floss every week because it gets dirty fast

oops no I don't clean the filter every week, my sentence was not clear. I only change a part of the filter floss every week because it gets dirty fast
Instead of changing the filter media, rinse it in a bucket of tank water by swishing it around. This will get rid of the gunk but not the bacteria

I am not sure if you can really see how it is but here are some pictures

Attachments

• 15887021718761234668876.jpg
    15887021718761234668876.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 105
  • 1588702290370363885533.jpg
    1588702290370363885533.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 116
  • 1588702439454178858530.jpg
    1588702439454178858530.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 102
It almost looks like a bloom to me, like byron said it might be, if it was gunk it should have settled

Instead of changing the filter media, rinse it in a bucket of tank water by swishing it around. This will get rid of the gunk but not the bacteria
I only use filter floss to catch small particule , I have a bigger sponge and ceramic for the bacteria. I feel like it would be less efficient if I didn't change it..

It almost looks like a bloom to me, like byron said it might be, if it was gunk it should have settled
I think it might be a combination of both, I can see small particule floating in the tank getting in the filter

It does look like an algae bloom to me.

I also agree with @JuiceBox52. You shouldn’t rinse your filter media in tap water, or you will loose your cycle. Instead, you should rinse it in old aquarium water.

As the floating plants increase this may be less and less of an issue and disappear.

I have had suspended particulate matter in two tanks, and I never could get to the bottom. Interestingly, they were in tanks that had an external canister filter. I have never had this in a tank with an internal sponge filter or an internal "power" filter (basically a sponge and motor).

An organic bloom is something you never want. I had it in my 90g for over three years. The fish load was far less than in my other tanks, they were fed minimally, it was full of plants and they were thriving...but the water never cleared. It looked like a bacterial bloom. Diatom blooms look the same.

Contrary to what some have come to believe, you can service filters frequently to get the 'crud' out of the system. Imagine if nitrogenous waste was always removed and didn't decompose and pollute the water. Also, once a tank is established, filters can be cleaned with tap water as there is far more BB in the aquarium, ESPECIALLY the substrate than in any filter (consider the surface area in the substrate).
Finally, unless your fish load is very little, I'd do a 50% weekly water change. When done routinely, there's rarely too much fresh water.
(I have Swordtail grow out tanks that I do 50% twice a week.)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back