2 filter?

Contrary to what some have come to believe, you can service filters frequently to get the 'crud' out of the system. Imagine if nitrogenous waste was always removed and didn't decompose and pollute the water. Also, once a tank is established, filters can be cleaned with tap water as there is far more BB in the aquarium, ESPECIALLY the substrate than in any filter (consider the surface area in the substrate).
Finally, unless your fish load is very little, I'd do a 50% weekly water change. When done routinely, there's rarely too much fresh water.
(I have Swordtail grow out tanks that I do 50% twice a week.)
It looks worst when I do a water change so that is why I only do a 20-30% water change/week. Also it is understocked right now so there is no problem I think

I only use filter floss to catch small particule , I have a bigger sponge and ceramic for the bacteria. I feel like it would be less efficient if I didn't change it..
i use an UV sterilizer in my turtle and guppy tanks. it works great. turtle water was all green - it became clear again

i use an UV sterilizer in my turtle and guppy tanks. it works great. turtle water was all green - it became clear again
if it doesn't get any clearer in a month I think I will try that

if it doesn't get any clearer in a month I think I will try that

If the issue is suspended particulate matter, UV will not help. UV is effective on green water because this is caused by unicellular algae. If it is another "bloom" I'm not sure. If bacterial, one would expect UV to perhaps deal with it, but if it is organic I am not so sure it would.

If the issue is suspended particulate matter, UV will not help. UV is effective on green water because this is caused by unicellular algae. If it is another "bloom" I'm not sure. If bacterial, one would expect UV to perhaps deal with it, but if it is organic I am not so sure it would.
I think it is some sort of bloom and suspended particule matter combined. What would you do? Maybe time will solve it

I think it is some sort of bloom and suspended particule matter combined. What would you do? Maybe time will solve it

Chances are it is harmless (though unsightly no doubt) so waiting is not likely going to cause problems. Sometimes substantial water changes help, sometimes not; they should if it is suspended particulate matter, though if this is in the source water (I have seen this) obviously it could become worse. Blooms from bacteria, diatoms or organics can sometimes be made worse and sometimes better. When I had what we (I conferred with Neale Monks at the time, and it went on for months) took to be an organic bloom, water changes and cleaning the filter did improve it, for a day or so.

If you are fairly certain there is suspended particulate matter then increased filtration should help; by increased I mean getting the water through the filter media (especially the sponge/foam media) more as this is where the particles are trapped.

Chances are it is harmless (though unsightly no doubt) so waiting is not likely going to cause problems. Sometimes substantial water changes help, sometimes not; they should if it is suspended particulate matter, though if this is in the source water (I have seen this) obviously it could become worse. Blooms from bacteria, diatoms or organics can sometimes be made worse and sometimes better. When I had what we (I conferred with Neale Monks at the time, and it went on for months) took to be an organic bloom, water changes and cleaning the filter did improve it, for a day or so.

If you are fairly certain there is suspended particulate matter then increased filtration should help; by increased I mean getting the water through the filter media (especially the sponge/foam media) more as this is where the particles are trapped.
My 10 gallon tank is perfectly clear so this eliminate the particules coming from the water. I could maybe try to run a second filter only with filter floss and see if it improves

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back