best ways to introduce “flow” to your tank, yet safe for small critters???

Magnum Man41 155

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Jun 21, 2023
Messages
7,683
Reaction score
6,943
Points
113
Location
Southern MN
I’m wanting try try an experiment in my hillstream tank… I want to introduce live microorganisms into my algae, in a way make man made aufwucks from my sterile aquarium algae… so, I’ve bought this kit to play with, while I make some changes to the tank, removing the filters that would vacuum up all the micro fauna, and relaxing those with over sized sponge filters… the challenge is to provide the water movement the fish the tank like, without destroying the micro fauna… my 1st thought was wavemakers… the kind I’m looking at offers 2 sizes with one moving twice the amount of flow… but lately I’ve been wondering if they would damage the micro fauna caught in the current, since they are mini propellers… thus tank currently has 2-10 inch air bars under the gravel along the back of the tank in effect making a 20 inch bubble waterfall along the back of the tank, which moves around a lot of water, and I’m wondering if that alone is enough movement, the hillstream’s love hanging out in it… this with no propeller should not damage any of the micro fauna… this is a standard 55 gallon tank so there is length enough to add one or even 2 more air bars, but with 2 more air bars, would make the tank have 6 air lines running into it, which I believe my fish room sized air pump could handle but the pump is already pushing a lot of air into my tanks, I don’t want to over burden it… thoughts on if a wave maker or two would damage and or kill the micro fauna, or if I should just stick to air power???
 
Last edited:
this is the kit of micro fauna I got to experiment with…

 

Most reactions

Back
Top