30 Cardinal Tetra
15 Diamond Tetra
5 Pearl Gourami
8 Clown Loach
4 Bristlenose Pleco's
15 assorted Cories
10 Khuli loach

A big thank-you to everyone who helped me out! ^_^

yes, keep them in groups of at least 6 (doubt you'll have trouble with the size of your tank:)...TBH, IME species doesnt matter, really...i have mixed groups of peppereds, trilineatus, bronze and two mystery species and they all hang out together...i know wome species are more sensitive than others (pandas seeming to be) so ask around...i'm by no means an expert but i do adore the little guys and will always have some in my tanks! always entertaining and so jolly! seriously! little characters they are!!!

Cories it is. ^_^

definately get a big group of khulli loaches. there fairly small and have a small bio loads so you could have quite a few and not even need to worry about the mess they make.

why don you get a shoal of bala sharks in there... there not aggressive in fact very peacefull. they would go well with community fish.

As a matter of fact, I've never kept khuli loaches. Hmm...I should look into that. The bala shark idea is fantastic, but don't they get a little too big? Thanks for your ideas! ^_^

bala sharks can get to about 25cm. ive had one for about 8 months and hes only about 12cm at the mo. some say they grow quick some say theres dont... al depends on the surrounding.. but i think maybe a shoal of at least 3 if your worried about the size would work a treat. or maybe about 5... i find that mine isnt messy at all. and they look soo cool.

p.s i think you should increase the rainbows to at least 10. i have 6 and i find they shoal all the time so 10 would look great or maybe change those rainbows to the praecox ones as there quite small...

yes, keep them in groups of at least 6 (doubt you'll have trouble with the size of your tank:)...TBH, IME species doesnt matter, really...i have mixed groups of peppereds, trilineatus, bronze and two mystery species and they all hang out together...i know wome species are more sensitive than others (pandas seeming to be) so ask around...i'm by no means an expert but i do adore the little guys and will always have some in my tanks! always entertaining and so jolly! seriously! little characters they are!!!

Cories it is. ^_^

definately get a big group of khulli loaches. there fairly small and have a small bio loads so you could have quite a few and not even need to worry about the mess they make.

why don you get a shoal of bala sharks in there... there not aggressive in fact very peacefull. they would go well with community fish.

As a matter of fact, I've never kept khuli loaches. Hmm...I should look into that. The bala shark idea is fantastic, but don't they get a little too big? Thanks for your ideas! ^_^

bala sharks can get to about 25cm. ive had one for about 8 months and hes only about 12cm at the mo. some say they grow quick some say theres dont... al depends on the surrounding.. but i think maybe a shoal of at least 3 if your worried about the size would work a treat. or maybe about 5... i find that mine isnt messy at all. and they look soo cool.

p.s i think you should increase the rainbows to at least 10. i have 6 and i find they shoal all the time so 10 would look great or maybe change those rainbows to the praecox ones as there quite small...

I'm afraid I couldn't give up my Boesemani's- love them way too much. :p I considered increasing their shoal but I was thinking about adding some bala sharks. If I do, how many should I add to make them comfortable? And moreover, would that be pushing the stock too far? Any ideas anyone?

The final list is:

6 Boesemani rainbowfish
20 Zebra danio
20 Harlequin Rasbora
10 Swordtails
4 Keyhole Cichlids
4 Blue Rams
30 Cardinal Tetra
15 Diamond Tetra
5 Pearl Gourami
8 Clown Loach
4 Bristlenose Pleco's
15 assorted Cories
10 Khuli loach

Nice list, hope i helped a little. make sure to get some pics when its done.

Bala sharsk would be a nice addition, they are a schooling fish and in turn would probably make the different tetra's shoal together more of the time to avoid being "attacked" by the bala's. i find thats what happens with our tank.

The final list is:

6 Boesemani rainbowfish
20 Zebra danio
20 Harlequin Rasbora
10 Swordtails
4 Keyhole Cichlids
4 Blue Rams
30 Cardinal Tetra
15 Diamond Tetra
5 Pearl Gourami
8 Clown Loach
4 Bristlenose Pleco's
15 assorted Cories
10 Khuli loach

Bala sharsk would be a nice addition, they are a schooling fish and in turn would probably make the different tetra's shoal together more of the time to avoid being "attacked" by the bala's. i find thats what happens with our tank.

Helped "a little" is quite an understatement! ^_^ I'll definitely get some pics up when it's done. I'd love to keep the bala sharks, but how many do I keep without overstocking?

The final list is:

6 Boesemani rainbowfish
20 Zebra danio
20 Harlequin Rasbora
10 Swordtails
4 Keyhole Cichlids
4 Blue Rams
30 Cardinal Tetra
15 Diamond Tetra
5 Pearl Gourami
8 Clown Loach
4 Bristlenose Pleco's
15 assorted Cories
10 Khuli loach

Helped "a little" is quite an understatement! ^_^ I'll definitely get some pics up when it's done. I'd love to keep the bala sharks, but how many do I keep without overstocking?

well they are a shoaling fish so 5 would be a minimun in my eyes, jsut make sure to do your water changes on schedule to keep the tank tidy. a school of bala's is a sight to behold! they are along with tinfoil barbs one of the nicest schooling fish their is IMO.

the tetras will look nice, especially the cardinals. they look the same as neons but grow bigger so they dont get eaten by everything unlike neons.

The final list is:

6 Boesemani rainbowfish
20 Zebra danio
20 Harlequin Rasbora
10 Swordtails
4 Keyhole Cichlids
4 Blue Rams
30 Cardinal Tetra
15 Diamond Tetra
5 Pearl Gourami
8 Clown Loach
4 Bristlenose Pleco's
15 assorted Cories
10 Khuli loach

well they are a shoaling fish so 5 would be a minimun in my eyes, jsut make sure to do your water changes on schedule to keep the tank tidy. a school of bala's is a sight to behold! they are along with tinfoil barbs one of the nicest schooling fish their is IMO.

the tetras will look nice, especially the cardinals. they look the same as neons but grow bigger so they dont get eaten by everything unlike neons.

"eaten by everything" LOL I love the wording there! :D I agree with you, they're schooling fish and I'd probably keep quite a lot if I could but as it is, you can't have everything. :p I'm going to go with 5. The final (and yes, it really is final this time) list is now.....

6 Boesemani rainbowfish
20 Zebra danio
20 Harlequin Rasbora
10 Swordtails
4 Keyhole Cichlids
4 Blue Rams
30 Cardinal Tetra
15 Diamond Tetra
5 Pearl Gourami
8 Clown Loach
4 Bristlenose Pleco's
15 assorted Cories
10 Khuli loach
5 Bala sharks

Thanks again for all your help. ^_^ I also agree with you regarding the tinfoils. I had tinfoils for several years and their school used to make everyone "ooh" and "aah". Definitely awesome fish :good:

Hey

Yeah, nice list let me know how it goes, think ours 150g needs restocking soon, changing alot of the stocking round as it is.

Hey

Yeah, nice list let me know how it goes, think ours 150g needs restocking soon, changing alot of the stocking round as it is.

that sounds like a awesome stocking .... am very jealous... btw

love to see the look on the LFS when u ask for that much stock.. lol

6 Boesemani rainbowfish
20 Zebra danio
20 Harlequin rasbora
10 Swordtails
4 Keyhole Cichlids
4 Blue Rams
30 Cardinal Tetra
15 Diamond Tetra
5 Pearl Gourami
8 clown loach
20+ cories

Think is you need some kind of algae eaters, a group of 5 or so bristlenoses, or a big shoal of otto's (theyre also a schooling fish and look great in big numbers)

maybe even look at buying a shed laod of cherry shrimp. i think that tbh if you have enough in the first palce. they should breed well and produce enough offpsring as to not got all eaten, especially if the tank is full of plants.

you could also add a few more rams, maybe a coupla more keyholes's

thanks.

why would you "need" algae eaters?
let alone a large group?

they create more waste then the help the tank. i wouldnt bother.
if youre that concerned with algae, get 1 common pleco

same could be said with other fish though. in general all fish produce waste so why bother with any of them.
some people may just like plecs because of the way they look... not because of what there for.

but anyway you have a good point. there probaly wouldnt be any algae in the tank anyway... so if the reason for having the plecs is to control algae then i wouldnt bother either as they do produce alot of waste.

Hey

that sounds like a awesome stocking .... am very jealous... btw

love to see the look on the LFS when u ask for that much stock.. lol

Haha well I won't be purchasing that bundle all at once (I'm sure the salesclerk would have a heart attack) but they'll probably be really amused to see me come in every week for months to come. :p

6 Boesemani rainbowfish
20 Zebra danio
20 Harlequin rasbora
10 Swordtails
4 Keyhole Cichlids
4 Blue Rams
30 Cardinal Tetra
15 Diamond Tetra
5 Pearl Gourami
8 clown loach
20+ cories

Think is you need some kind of algae eaters, a group of 5 or so bristlenoses, or a big shoal of otto's (theyre also a schooling fish and look great in big numbers)

maybe even look at buying a shed laod of cherry shrimp. i think that tbh if you have enough in the first palce. they should breed well and produce enough offpsring as to not got all eaten, especially if the tank is full of plants.

you could also add a few more rams, maybe a coupla more keyholes's

thanks.

why would you "need" algae eaters?
let alone a large group?

they create more waste then the help the tank. i wouldnt bother.
if youre that concerned with algae, get 1 common pleco

In regards to the common pleco, I'm afraid their potential adult size sort of scares me off! Although I've heard they're fantastic fish. :good: I was thinking about the bioload due to the bristlenoses...hmm...is it really worth it? Maybe I should just settle for more kuhli's...or increase the cardinal shoal?

same could be said with other fish though. in general all fish produce waste so why bother with any of them.
some people may just like plecs because of the way they look... not because of what there for.

but anyway you have a good point. there probaly wouldnt be any algae in the tank anyway... so if the reason for having the plecs is to control algae then i wouldnt bother either as they do produce alot of waste.

Ah, I see. hmm...more kuhli's then? Or increase one of the other shoals a bit? Let me know, love hearing what other people think. ^_^

plecos produce more detrius then just about any other fish. and when youre talking about a group, :no:
and when it comes to plecos, most people dont keep BN for their "looks". they keep royal, or zebras. people keep BN because they eat algae and dont grow as big as common plecos.

plecos produce more detrius then just about any other fish. and when youre talking about a group, :no:
and when it comes to plecos, most people dont keep BN for their "looks". they keep royal, or zebras. people keep BN because they eat algae and dont grow as big as common plecos.

Oh, dear. A humongous bioload is the last thing I want, although I do enjoy a heavily (but not over) stocked tank. That why I like sticking to the little guys. :good: I have Arowana & Pacu dreams, but they're right alongside my buying-the-ocean dreams and so perhaps they'll have to be put on hold for awhile...a very long while. :p So without the bristlenoses, do you think I should just add more kuhli's instead? Or make one of the other shoals a bit bigger?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back