180 Gallon: Taking Fish Suggestions!

Knowing now the size of tank (whereas didnt on your previous thread), I would say double the shoal of bosesmani's :good:

I would also say treble your danios, tetras, rasboras, double the cardinals and you will still have plenty of space left.

Thanks a lot for your input ^_^ So basically I should stock up on what I've already got. Someone suggested this combination, I'd love it if you could please let me know what you think:

6 Boesemani rainbowfish
20 Zebra danio
20 Harlequin rasbora
10 Swordtails
4 Keyhole Cichlids
4 Blue Rams
25 Cardinal Tetra
15 Diamond Tetra
5 Pearl Gourami
8 clown loach
5 bristlenose plecs
15 - 20 otto's
20+ assorted corydoras

I'd say thanks again but I think I've already mentioned that part. :p

th some of those fish that your planning why don;t you keep discus!!! they;d look great in a tank taht size

Unfortunately I've heard discus require a lot of expert care. Is this true? I wouldn't really call myself an expert, I'd rather not kill off several Discus while trying to find out. :p I also have a thing about keeping several different shoals of fish together, I think it makes a spectacular display. ^_^

I think thats a myth to be honest as I've never found them difficult fish to keep. And they would look fab full grown in a tank that size

Get 6-8 clown loaches in that tank.

now that would look good!!!

I think so too! I'm nearly certain that I'm going to add the clowns to my list. Adore those little guys. ^_^

If you want you can get oscars.

You can get these leapord bush fish. Heres an image.

You can keep them with clown loaches but don't put anything smaller than 5 cm in that tank as they will eat them.

I'll be getting them when i get my big tank.

I love Oscars and do have plans to keep them someday in the future, in a gargantuan-sized tank with a few other monsters. :D As of right now though, I'd like to enjoy these little community guys. Thanks for your suggestions. ^_^

Hope you don't mind me asking - but what are the dimensions of the tank you're getting. 180 gallon is pretty big!! I'm having trouble imagining what it would look like. Would be rather stunning though and would give scope for some rather impressive fishkeeping.

I'd have thought you wanted a cleaning crew in such a big tank. Clown loach would be lovely and there's so few who can keep them in their ideal conditions, but you'd be able to. A big shaol of cardinals or similar would be amazing too.

Hey there! :) Yes, a 180 gallons is definitely on the bigger side of things, I've been waiting and saving for it for so long! This particular tank is 72 x 24 x 24. I know I could keep much larger fish (Oscars, etc.) in it but I really want to go with the smaller community fish. There's just something about a huge community tank that makes me smile. ^_^ For some reason clown loaches never crossed my mind until Miah002 suggested it. I'm definitely getting them now though. Any suggestions for fish by the way?

I'm getting lepord bush fish for my 180 litre tank, when i get it.

That fish certainly looks like it has some personality! :D

i would say go for:

6 Boesemani rainbowfish
20 Zebra danio
20 Harlequin rasbora
10 Swordtails
4 Keyhole Cichlids
4 Blue Rams
25 Cardinal Tetra
15 Diamond Tetra
5 Pearl Gourami
8 clown loach
5 bristlenose plecs
15 - 20 otto's
20+ assorted corydoras

I should've just hired you to pick my fish for me- would've saved me a whole lot of hassle! :lol: Thanks a ton for your suggestions, I love the idea, will definitely look into it. :good: I've always wanted to keep corydoras catfish, but I've heard that they need a soft substrate. I really like gravel and would rather stick to it than switch over to sand. Would this hurt them?

What about the lepord bush fish?
it would be very happy in there with al the tetras!!! lol they have amazing telescopic jaws that would grab tetras no problem. great fish though

Uh-oh, I'd like my cardinals to be safe and free from hungry fish with telescopic jaws lol. So bleeding heart tetras vs. cherry barbs vs. gold barbs. Would any of them (not necessarily all) be a good addition or would that ruin things?

What about some bristlenose catfish? Gotta love em :)

I've actually never kept them, are they really as awesome as I hear? ;)

Hope you don't mind me asking - but what are the dimensions of the tank you're getting. 180 gallon is pretty big!! I'm having trouble imagining what it would look like. Would be rather stunning though and would give scope for some rather impressive fishkeeping.

I'd have thought you wanted a cleaning crew in such a big tank. Clown loach would be lovely and there's so few who can keep them in their ideal conditions, but you'd be able to. A big shaol of cardinals or similar would be amazing too.

Hey there! :) Yes, a 180 gallons is definitely on the bigger side of things, I've been waiting and saving for it for so long! This particular tank is 72 x 24 x 24. I know I could keep much larger fish (Oscars, etc.) in it but I really want to go with the smaller community fish. There's just something about a huge community tank that makes me smile. ^_^ For some reason clown loaches never crossed my mind until Miah002 suggested it. I'm definitely getting them now though. Any suggestions for fish by the way?

i would say go for:

6 Boesemani rainbowfish
20 Zebra danio
20 Harlequin rasbora
10 Swordtails
4 Keyhole Cichlids
4 Blue Rams
25 Cardinal Tetra
15 Diamond Tetra
5 Pearl Gourami
8 clown loach
5 bristlenose plecs
15 - 20 otto's
20+ assorted corydoras

I should've just hired you to pick my fish for me- would've saved me a whole lot of hassle! :lol: Thanks a ton for your suggestions, I love the idea, will definitely look into it. :good: I've always wanted to keep corydoras catfish, but I've heard that they need a soft substrate. I really like gravel and would rather stick to it than switch over to sand. Would this hurt them?

lol well in my experience they dont mind either sand or gravel, they use there "tenticles" to sift through the gravel aswell as sand, i think if you cna get some nice light sand with some good lighting and some nice plants wit hthe fish ive suggested it will be an amazing sight! the 150g(us gallons) we have has a similar kind of stocking and looks fabulous just after a water change (tends to get a bit dirty towards the end of the week) i would reccomend a nice "carpet" of plants for the foreground also, our corys and otto's love them as do the clowns loaches.

keep us updated, like i said theyre is something very nice about a big community tank. and liek you id rather have a 180g tank full of community fish rather than a 280g with a load of big fish (atm anyways) but i do love big cichlids so its a path i am goin to follow at some point in my life.

Wow - that's amazing. Sat here looking at my 260 litre imagining it next to yours. You're very lucky!
I like the stocking list you've got now. That number of fish will just look fantastic. Be nice that you can have clown loaches - in fact anything you want really.

I know discus would look nice but tbh personally I think the wider variety you can have just shouts out to be done. But I do wonder if you should narrow your choice of Tetras/Rasbora and have a much bigger shoal of say Cardinals or Harlequins which would provide a more stunning visual impact. My lfs has a shoal of about 50 cardinals in one of their community show tanks and they look amazing :good: Just a thought. Sometimes too much variety dilutes the overall impact.

i would say go for:

6 Boesemani rainbowfish
20 Zebra danio
20 Harlequin rasbora
10 Swordtails
4 Keyhole Cichlids
4 Blue Rams
25 Cardinal Tetra
15 Diamond Tetra
5 Pearl Gourami
8 clown loach
5 bristlenose plecs
15 - 20 otto's
20+ assorted corydoras

lol well in my experience they dont mind either sand or gravel, they use there "tenticles" to sift through the gravel aswell as sand, i think if you cna get some nice light sand with some good lighting and some nice plants wit hthe fish ive suggested it will be an amazing sight! the 150g(us gallons) we have has a similar kind of stocking and looks fabulous just after a water change (tends to get a bit dirty towards the end of the week) i would reccomend a nice "carpet" of plants for the foreground also, our corys and otto's love them as do the clowns loaches.

keep us updated, like i said theyre is something very nice about a big community tank. and liek you id rather have a 180g tank full of community fish rather than a 280g with a load of big fish (atm anyways) but i do love big cichlids so its a path i am goin to follow at some point in my life.

I wholeheartedly agree! I'll keep the "carpet" of plants in mind, I think the bottom dwellers would like that as well. Blue rams tend to hang out towards the bottom of the tank, don't they? Would they get territorial with the corys and clowns?

Wow - that's amazing. Sat here looking at my 260 litre imagining it next to yours. You're very lucky!
I like the stocking list you've got now. That number of fish will just look fantastic. Be nice that you can have clown loaches - in fact anything you want really.

I know discus would look nice but tbh personally I think the wider variety you can have just shouts out to be done. But I do wonder if you should narrow your choice of Tetras/Rasbora and have a much bigger shoal of say Cardinals or Harlequins which would provide a more stunning visual impact. My lfs has a shoal of about 50 cardinals in one of their community show tanks and they look amazing :good: Just a thought. Sometimes too much variety dilutes the overall impact.

Ah yes, I know what you mean. I'd keep a larger school of cardinals if I was a bit braver, I've heard horror stories regarding acclimating them. Would you happen to know anything about that?

i would say go for:

6 Boesemani rainbowfish
20 Zebra danio
20 Harlequin rasbora
10 Swordtails
4 Keyhole Cichlids
4 Blue Rams
25 Cardinal Tetra
15 Diamond Tetra
5 Pearl Gourami
8 clown loach
5 bristlenose plecs
15 - 20 otto's
20+ assorted corydoras

it would be very happy in there with al the tetras!!! lol they have amazing telescopic jaws that would grab tetras no problem. great fish though

Uh-oh, I'd like my cardinals to be safe and free from hungry fish with telescopic jaws lol. So bleeding heart tetras vs. cherry barbs vs. gold barbs. Would any of them (not necessarily all) be a good addition or would that ruin things?

Yep great for cleaning up any algae and they easily breed :)

.......................I do wonder if you should narrow your choice of Tetras/Rasbora and have a much bigger shoal of say Cardinals or Harlequins which would provide a more stunning visual impact. My lfs has a shoal of about 50 cardinals in one of their community show tanks and they look amazing :good: Just a thought. Sometimes too much variety dilutes the overall impact.

Ah yes, I know what you mean. I'd keep a larger school of cardinals if I was a bit braver, I've heard horror stories regarding acclimating them. Would you happen to know anything about that?

tbh I don't, but I have kept cardinals and neons, both in the past, and keep neons now and have never had a problem. Prob just been lucky. But I would have thought in the size of tank you're looking at as long as it is well planted with free swimming space etc then they'd be perfectly happy.

.......................I do wonder if you should narrow your choice of Tetras/Rasbora and have a much bigger shoal of say Cardinals or Harlequins which would provide a more stunning visual impact. My lfs has a shoal of about 50 cardinals in one of their community show tanks and they look amazing :good: Just a thought. Sometimes too much variety dilutes the overall impact.

tbh I don't, but I have kept cardinals and neons, both in the past, and keep neons now and have never had a problem. Prob just been lucky. But I would have thought in the size of tank you're looking at as long as it is well planted with free swimming space etc then they'd be perfectly happy.

Oh good, finally a shred of hope for me! I was worried about watching miserably as they all died off. I've heard they're fussy about the pH being slightly acidic and the water having to be soft- hence my worry. Thanks!

i would say go for:

6 Boesemani rainbowfish
20 Zebra danio
20 Harlequin rasbora
10 Swordtails
4 Keyhole Cichlids
4 Blue Rams
25 Cardinal Tetra
15 Diamond Tetra
5 Pearl Gourami
8 clown loach
5 bristlenose plecs
15 - 20 otto's
20+ assorted corydoras

Yep great for cleaning up any algae and they easily breed :)

Awesome :D

i have cories in tanks with gravel and sand...doesnt seem to make much of a difference to them (although its cute how they "snuffle" in the sand)...either way they'll be happy as long as the gravel isnt too sharp...definately get some cories...they're the coolest!!!

i have cories in tanks with gravel and sand...doesnt seem to make much of a difference to them (although its cute how they "snuffle" in the sand)...either way they'll be happy as long as the gravel isnt too sharp...definately get some cories...they're the coolest!!!

Oh I'm glad you commented, have a cory expert here. ^_^ Which type of cory would you suggest? I love Sterbai's and Adolfo's. Do you need to keep them in shoals as well? I've never kept cories before, so just wondering! Thanks!

yes, keep them in groups of at least 6 (doubt you'll have trouble with the size of your tank:)...TBH, IME species doesnt matter, really...i have mixed groups of peppereds, trilineatus, bronze and two mystery species and they all hang out together...i know wome species are more sensitive than others (pandas seeming to be) so ask around...i'm by no means an expert but i do adore the little guys and will always have some in my tanks! always entertaining and so jolly! seriously! little characters they are!!!

yes, keep them in groups of at least 6 (doubt you'll have trouble with the size of your tank:)...TBH, IME species doesnt matter, really...i have mixed groups of peppereds, trilineatus, bronze and two mystery species and they all hang out together...i know wome species are more sensitive than others (pandas seeming to be) so ask around...i'm by no means an expert but i do adore the little guys and will always have some in my tanks! always entertaining and so jolly! seriously! little characters they are!!!

Cories it is. ^_^

Cories it is. ^_^

definately get a big group of khulli loaches. there fairly small and have a small bio loads so you could have quite a few and not even need to worry about the mess they make.

why don you get a shoal of bala sharks in there... there not aggressive in fact very peacefull. they would go well with community fish.

Cories it is. ^_^

definately get a big group of khulli loaches. there fairly small and have a small bio loads so you could have quite a few and not even need to worry about the mess they make.

why don you get a shoal of bala sharks in there... there not aggressive in fact very peacefull. they would go well with community fish.

As a matter of fact, I've never kept khuli loaches. Hmm...I should look into that. The bala shark idea is fantastic, but don't they get a little too big? Thanks for your ideas! ^_^

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back