10gal to 30gal Transition!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Woodlol

Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Query! I have a 10gal setup in my office, just got a 30gal tank that I'm transitioning to. My question is, I'm due to do a water change in the 10gal, would adding the water from the mature planted 10gal to the 30gal aid in speeding up the cycling process in the new tank?

I'm going to transplant a few java ferns, a moss ball, and a piece of driftwood covered in christmas moss to help things along as well.

Thanks!! :banana:I haven't seen that emoji in over a decade so I HAD to add it in for giggles.

"Mature" water from an established tank contains little if any beneficial bacteria.

What WILL have colonized bacteria are your filter media, hard deco, and substrate.

What filter is on the 10G, presently? Will you be upgrading the filter, or adding an additional one to the 30G?

BTW, nice to see another fellow Texan join TFF ;)

"Mature" water from an established tank contains little if any beneficial bacteria.

What WILL have colonized bacteria are your filter media, hard deco, and substrate.

What filter is on the 10G, presently? Will you be upgrading the filter, or adding an additional one to the 30G?

BTW, nice to see another fellow Texan join TFF ;)

I'm upgrading my filter to a nice finnex px-150, however I am going to move some of the hard deco/plants like you said as well as some of the substrate which is the same color but more gravel like vs the new more sandy substrate. It'll probably look cool anyway with slightly different substrates haha

AND HOWDY 🤠

I'm upgrading my filter to a nice finnex px-150, however I am going to move some of the hard deco/plants like you said as well as some of the substrate which is the same color but more gravel like vs the new more sandy substrate. It'll probably look cool anyway with slightly different substrates haha

AND HOWDY 🤠
Be sure to transfer your media from the old filter into the new filter, as well

How is the tank presently stocked?

Be sure to transfer your media from the old filter into the new filter, as well

How is the tank presently stocked?
The 10gal has 6 porkchop rasboras and 3 corycats. I'll probably be adding another 3 rasboras as well as a pair of gouramis or something similar as a focal point. Any suggestions?

The 10gal has 6 porkchop rasboras and 3 corycats. I'll probably be adding another 3 rasboras as well as a pair of gouramis or something similar as a focal point. Any suggestions?
You need more of both the harlequins and the corys, both are social fish, and do best in groups bigger than you presently have...what kind of corys?

Is this a regular 30G, or a 30 breeder?

It's actually a standard "29gal" which is bizarre by the way... why do they sell a 29 gallon instead of a 30 at the big petstores?? I finally got the cannister filter and heater installed last night, I can essentially only do work on the tank when my 5month old is sleeping. She loves looking at the fish but shockingly doesn't provide much help haha I'm going to try and find time to add the water and start it cycling today.

Luckily I have a GREAT small local shop for flora and fauna.
Maybe then at your suggestion 10 rasboras, 4 panda corys (thats what I have now so 1 more), 2 gouramis, and maybe a few snails would be balanced? I'm going to take my time getting it planted and cycling before I transfer the fish.

I've had dwarf gourami in the past and I LOVE them, but I was thinking of maybe trying pearl gouramis. I'd LOVE to try a pair of paradise fish but I'm worried they wouldn't get on with the rasboras.

Don't touch dwarf gouramis until the breeders get rid of TB and the iridovirus.

Paradise fish are aggressive and should be kept on their own.

I wouldn't keep pearl gouramis with small tetras or rasboras.

Don't touch dwarf gouramis until the breeders get rid of TB and the iridovirus.

Paradise fish are aggressive and should be kept on their own.

I wouldn't keep pearl gouramis with small tetras or rasboras.
Agree with the first 2, not the last...I've kept PGs with small fish (tetras and rasboras), and they have coexisted just fine

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back