10 gallon stocking

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

@Essjay , is there any place in the UK that DOESN'T have at least moderately hard water?
1658756278212.png
1658756278212.png
Your perception also be swayed because England has the highest hard water areas and a high population (60 million) whereas Wales and Scotland have soft water but a low population (3 million and 5.5 million respectively).

Last edited:
Ignore the words in that, like most water companies that make it sound harder than fishkeepers would call those numbers.

This is how I would label those colour bands

key.jpg

The pinkish colours are the hard water areas. The green areas are very soft. Most of Scotland is soft or very soft, though there are places with harder water.

Alright, thanks. If I was to keep scarlet badis, would you recommend pair or trio, as some recommended to me a trio.

That is a lovely tanks.

What do people see on basis and pea puffers together? Read a lot saying they can. Especially if all female puffers.
The Badis are fine with any number of female but only a single male unless the tank is large with room for 2 or more territories. I have found pea puffers to be something akin to a rottweiler. That is, they seem to be slow moving then suddenly snap into action and take a lump out of the fish it was stalking.
I got mine for snail control and they were damn good at it, but when the snails were gone they started eating fish. I wouldn't keep them with any other fish and in fact they are pretty uninteresting anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's keep politics/political figure discussion where it belongs...elsewhere

Post #48 above edited.

Last edited:
The Badis are fine with any number of female but only a single male unless the tank is large with room for 2 or more territories. I have found pea puffers to be something akin to a rottweiler. That is, they seem to be slow moving then suddenly snap into action and take a lump out of the fish it was stalking.
I got mine for snail control and they were damn good at it, but when the snails were gone they started eating fish. I wouldn't keep them with any other fish and in fact they are pretty uninteresting anyway.
Thanks, definitely would not be looking for more than one male. Heard they're like cichlids in that and I keep cichlids and know that more than one male is not something in less than a 30, probably larger unless they are the smaller dwarf cichlids and ones like the colder water apistos.

My parent wants to get puffers for his 105ltr community to reduce the snails. Then ask me to take them on in my spare tanks - which was partially why I asked because they roughly come from the same area, I believe.

Thanks, definitely would not be looking for more than one male. Heard they're like cichlids in that and I keep cichlids and know that more than one male is not something in less than a 30, probably larger unless they are the smaller dwarf cichlids and ones like the colder water apistos.

My parent wants to get puffers for his 105ltr community to reduce the snails. Then ask me to take them on in my spare tanks - which was partially why I asked because they roughly come from the same area, I believe.
Dwarf puffers have been mentioned a couple of times and they would be a good candidate but there is some newish evidence they are shoaling fish in the wild which is why they are aggressive in tanks, like tiger barbs (but with beaks) the bigger the school the better behaved and more natural the behaviour. Its this new source of info that is making things complicated for people at the moment.

There is a really good website called pufferfishenthusiastworldwide.com its annoyingly down at the moment but their dwarf puffer profile is great. I can't remember what they say about numbers but I think in a 10g its to keep around 5.

Wills

Dwarf puffers have been mentioned a couple of times and they would be a good candidate but there is some newish evidence they are shoaling fish in the wild which is why they are aggressive in tanks, like tiger barbs (but with beaks) the bigger the school the better behaved and more natural the behaviour. Its this new source of info that is making things complicated for people at the moment.

There is a really good website called pufferfishenthusiastworldwide.com its annoyingly down at the moment but their dwarf puffer profile is great. I can't remember what they say about numbers but I think in a 10g it's to keep around 5.

Wills
Alright, thanks. Yes, I believe I read about that on that website.
In a species only for them, I would be one male, most likely around 2-3 females. But it is dependent on what they have at the stores. The lfs is currently looking to whether they are able to source scarlet or black tiger badis for me and contact me if they can.

Most reactions

trending

Back