10 gallon stocking

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ignore anything the water company says, look at the numbers. 10 dH is middling - neither soft nor hard. It is right at the upper limit for chili rasboras, and it's better to keep fish in the middle of their range. It's good for dwarf puffers (pea puffers) but I think they need a bigger tank for a group (3 gallons per puffer is the recommended stocking level)
Oh, I have not even talked to the water company. I tested myself, and others on this forum told me that was medium-high.

And alright, thanks

Look on your water company's website to see what they say. You need a number and the unit of measurement - there are about half a dozen units and fish keeping uses just 2 of them.

In a 10 gallon tank?

There are fish suitable for this tank, but many of them need either soft or hard water and are less flexible about it than larger fish can be. That's why we need to know the hardness.

Look on your water company's website to see what they say. You need a number and the unit of measurement - there are about half a dozen units and fish keeping uses just 2 of them.
The ones I referenced in the main post were ones that I tested myself from the tank.

This is what the water company says for my area. (Long as all the information is present.)

Total hardness as Calcium (mg/l) 89.6
Total hardness as Calcium carbonate (mg/l) 224
Total hardness as Degrees Clark (°Clark or °e) 15.59
Total hardness as Degrees French (°f) 22.4
Total hardness as Degrees German (°dH) 12.723
Total hardness as millimoles (mmol/l of Ca) 2.24

1,2-dichloroethane µg/l <0.433
Alkalinity (as calcium carbonate) mg/l 196
Aluminium µg/l <7
Ammonium mg/l <0.162
Antimony µg/l 0.31
Arsenic µg/l 0.35
Benzene µg/l <0.183
Benzo(a)pyrene µg/l <0.002
Boron mg/l 0.087
Bromate µg/l <1.2
Cadmium µg/l <0.025
Calcium mg/l 74.8
Chloride mg/l 65.3
Chlorine (free) mg/l <0.06
Chlorine (total) mg/l 0.62
Chromium µg/l <0.454
Colour mg/l <0.98
Conductivity µS/cm @ 20 °C 621
Copper mg/l 0.005
Cyanide µg/l <3.666
Fluoride mg/l 0.283
Hardness (total) as calcium mg/l 89.6
Iron µg/l 23
Lead µg/l 2.46
Magnesium mg/l 9.07
Manganese µg/l <3
Nickel µg/l 1.75
Nitrate mg/l 18.1
Nitrite mg/l <0.037
Nitrite/Nitrate 0.366
PAHs (sum of 4) µg/l 0
pH (Hydrogen ion) pH value 7.53
Phosphorus mg/l 1.036
Potassium mg/l 9.59
Selenium µg/l <0.722
Sodium mg/l 41.3
Solvents (tetrachloroethane and trichloroethene) µg/l 0
Sulphate mg/l 117
Tetrachloromethane µg/l <0.313
Total organic carbon (TOC) mg/l 3.42
Turbidity NTU <0.18

PESTICIDES
2,4-D µg/l <0.01
Bentazone µg/l <0.008
Carbetamide µg/l <0.014
Chloridazon µg/l <0.012
Clopyralid µg/l <0.019
Ethofumesate µg/l <0.008
Flufenacet µg/l <0.011
Fluroxypyr µg/l <0.02
Glyphosate µg/l <0.007
Linuron µg/l <0.014
MCPA µg/l <0.008
MCPB µg/l <0.006
MCPP (Mecoprop) µg/l <0.006
Metaldehyde µg/l 0.03
Metazachlor µg/l <0.03
Pesticides - Total µg/l 0.051
Propyzamide µg/l <0.013
Quinmerac µg/l <0.013
Terbuthylazine µg/l <0.006

< Below the limit of detection of our analysis
mg/l Milligrammes per litre or parts per million
µg/l Microgrammes per litre or parts per billion
Pt/Co Platinum/Cobalt
µS/cm Micro Siemens per centimetre
Bq/l Becquerel per litre
mSv/year Micro Sieverts per year
NTU Nephelometric Turbidity Units

This is all the information that I could get. And that the company counts my area as hard water.

In a 10 gallon tank?

There are fish suitable for this tank, but many of them need either soft or hard water and are less flexible about it than larger fish can be. That's why we need to know the hardness.
Was the information that I tested from the tank - My pH stays around 7.0, GH is around 10dGH, and KH is around 9dKH. - not enough information to work out water hardness?

Total hardness as Calcium carbonate (mg/l) 224
Total hardness as Degrees German (°dH) 12.723
These are the two you need.
Fish keeping uses two units, ppm which is the same as mg/l calcium carbonate and dH which is the same as German degrees. Fish profiles use one or other of those units.
So 225 ppm and 13 dH (to round the numbers) are the figures you need.

You have hard water, at the lower end of hard. It's too soft for those species which must have very hard water but OK for those fish which need just hard water. Unfortunately, the chili rasboras mentioned in earlier posts are soft water fish. But endlers, males only as they are smaller and don't have fry, would suit this water as would some of the Pseudomugil rainbowfish.

Fish keeping uses two units, ppm which is the same as mg/l calcium carbonate and dH which is the same as German degrees. Fish profiles use one or other of those units.

You have hard water, at the lower end of hard. It's too soft for those species which must have very hard water but OK for those fish which need just hard water. Unfortunately, the chili rasboras mentioned in earlier posts are soft water fish. But endlers, males only as they are smaller and don't have fry, would suit this water as would some of the Pseudomugil rainbowfish.
@Essjay , is there any place in the UK that DOESN'T have at least moderately hard water?

@Essjay , is there any place in the UK that DOESN'T have at least moderately hard water?
Yes, everywhere except the south east :) The south west, the north of England, Wales and Scotland have mostly soft to very soft water. I think the midlands may have hardish water as well, and there are odd pockets of hard water elsewhere - for example Lynnzer lives quite near me but he has hard water in a small pocket surrounded by soft water.
The OP in this thread lives in London which is well known for having hard water with the odd pocket of softer water.

My hardness is in the middle of soft and I live in the north east of England. I was brought up in the north west and the water there is slightly softer than mine.

Last edited:

Alright, thanks.

Yes, everywhere except the south east :) The south west, the north of England, Wales and Scotland have mostly soft to very soft water. I think the midlands may have hardish water as well, and there are odd pockets of hard water elsewhere - for example Lynnzer lives quite near me but he has hard water in a small pocket surrounded by soft water.
The OP in this thread lives in London which is well known for having hard water with the odd pocket of softer water.

My hardness is in the middle of soft and I live in the north east of England. I was brought up in the north west and the water there is slightly softer than mine.
I'm from the east midlands, not London. And each time I've had my water tested, for the past 10 or so years it comes up as softer than average for area at 10, not 13

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back