Arghhhh! I Just Found Molly Fry In My Son's Tank!

Sounds good :good: i like glass cats but I couldn't add another 6-8 fish to my tank :look: then I'd have no room for goiramis.
Glass cats are not very active. And would take out the glass cats instead of the gouramis but thats just me. :fish:

:rip: for your loss. Do you know what could've caused it to die?

His favorite fish had some white fuzzy, cotton like stuff on him the night before. I treated the tank with Kordon Rid Fungus but it was too late for him. He was heartbroken and practically in tears.

"Sailor" was a picture perfect specimen of a Platinum Sailfin Molly and that's why Zach chose his online name as "Sailfin Zach"

The one bright side is that we can keep 1 or 2 of the fry in his tank, obviously we'll choose females so we don't have more fry to worry about.

Thats sad to hear, but we all know that when we buy fish we will see them die. Unless if you don't give them away of course.

Thats sad to hear, but we all know that when we buy fish we will see them die. Unless if you don't give them away of course.
I just got 7 neon tetras and 3 ghost shrimp. :hyper: And the lady at the store charged us for seven when we wanted five. :lol:

I just got 7 neon tetras and 3 ghost shrimp. :hyper: And the lady at the store charged us for seven when we wanted five. :lol:

Sounds fun! :)

I think Ill be picking up 5 ghost shrimp after my DHG grows in. :D

Well I haven't updated this thread in awhile so here goes:

We still have 20 Molly fry in the fry net and they're almost twice the size they were when we pulled them out iof the other tank.. Last night I tried letting a single little guy into the main tank part & the Guppies, Glowlights & the Dwarf Gourami were chasing him all over the place. Needless to say I netted him & put him back into the fry net.

How long until I can release the little buggers? They can't be all that happy in such a small net area right? My tanks are so stocked that I can't really see moving the Guppies, Tetras or the Dwarf into those and I'm sure my wife won't allow another tank.................. :rolleyes:

We still have 20 Molly fry in the fry net and they're almost twice the size they were when we pulled them out iof the other tank.. Last night I tried letting a single little guy into the main tank part & the Guppies, Glowlights & the Dwarf Gourami were chasing him all over the place. Needless to say I netted him & put him back into the fry net.

How long until I can release the little buggers? They can't be all that happy in such a small net area right? My tanks are so stocked that I can't really see moving the Guppies, Tetras or the Dwarf into those and I'm sure my wife won't allow another tank.................. :rolleyes:

The amount of time is tricky. The more fish in a given tank, the slower they will grow. They will release a hormone which will restrict growth a bit and their growth will be a bit slower than in a larger tank or one with less fish. The only way around that which I am aware of would be large water changes to remove the hormone from the water. (That can be tricky though with a breeding net on the tank, which is why many folks use breeder tanks for just the fry, because it makes this process much easier.)

I don't know how long it will take under the conditions right now. If you have a lot of plant cover (floating plants are really good for this) the fry will have somewhere to hide if they get chased too much. They will be harassed for as long as they remain small enough to eat though, I'm afraid. Nothing you can do about that. Small fish are food for bigger fish. That's just the way it is.

I'm glad to hear that they are doing well though.

The amount of time is tricky. The more fish in a given tank, the slower they will grow. They will release a hormone which will restrict growth a bit and their growth will be a bit slower than in a larger tank or one with less fish. The only way around that which I am aware of would be large water changes to remove the hormone from the water. (That can be tricky though with a breeding net on the tank, which is why many folks use breeder tanks for just the fry, because it makes this process much easier.)

I don't know how long it will take under the conditions right now. If you have a lot of plant cover (floating plants are really good for this) the fry will have somewhere to hide if they get chased too much. They will be harassed for as long as they remain small enough to eat though, I'm afraid. Nothing you can do about that. Small fish are food for bigger fish. That's just the way it is.

I'm glad to hear that they are doing well though.

The problem is I can'telease them into the 10 gallon with the Dwarf Gourami in it. The Guppies & even the Glowlights looked hungry.............

Funny but I got the Gourami to keep the tank cycled and now I don't have the room in any other tank to remove him. I may be picking up a free 10 gallon setup I saw locally and that would solve the problem, we'll see I guess.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back