Arghhhh! I Just Found Molly Fry In My Son's Tank!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ruskull

Bitter & Clinging...
Reaction score
Arghhhh! I Just Found Molly Fry In My Son's Tank!!!! What should I do?

I have a 1/4 gallon plastic container with about (20) of them which I netted out of his 20 gallon high. I can't imagine how many were eaten by the parents, the Guppies, the Neons & Glowlights................but at least I saved a few of them.

The good news is that I just bought a Marineland 10 gallon that comes with the LED light, hood, bio-wheel filter & some cheesy looking heater. I have some brand new gravel left over from my 36 gallon too.

Are they still too small to put in the 10 gallon? I'm afraid the filter will suck them up.

I also threw in 2 bottom feeder shrimp pellets & I ground up some standard flake into really small pieces. They're all picking at the pellets & randomly eating the flake specs from the bottom. Aren't I supposed to get something called "infusium"? Who sells that stuff anyway?

I would take some gunk from your established tank filters and put it on the filter of your new tank. Add the gravel too to top it off. More likely than not they will not produce a ton of ammonia. Just be sure to change the water regularly. :)

I would take some gunk from your established tank filters and put it on the filter of your new tank. Add the gravel too to top it off. More likely than not they will not produce a ton of ammonia. Just be sure to change the water regularly. :)

Thanks for the quick response. I do plan to use donor media from the 2 other tanks but won't the filter suck the fish up? How long does it take for the fry to be large enough to not get sucked up? I'm thinking they need to be at least 1/2 inch long or so..................

I have a mystery snail and I was worried the filter intake would suck it up so I bought one of these to help. It also acts as a bacteria holder which you could use to help cycle another tank in the future, if need be.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well I set the fry up in a net inside the new 10 gallon tank. I added media from my son's tank and moved his (3) fancy guppies to help the tank get cycled. I'll have to check the levels regularly because I don't want to stress the guppies any more than need be. I also counted the Molly fry as I moved them, there are 22. Here's a couple of pics:

DSCN0037.jpg

DSCN0041.jpg

Thats a nice fry tank you have there. :D

Snazzy. Wish my molly would finally give birth. She's preggo but still hasn't given birth.

Since she's been pregnant? About 3 weeks or so.

I have no idea how old the fry are but they look to be only a couple of days or so. The larger ones are st ill less than 1/4 inch long. Most are silver like their daddy, the Platinum Sailfin but a few have orange faces like their Creamsicle Lyretail mom.

I honestly can't wait to see the colors & fins of the offspring.

It is always fun to watch the fry develop their own colors. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back