Arghhhh! I Just Found Molly Fry In My Son's Tank!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Just don't tell the wife until the fry are in the tank. Then she won't be able to say anything! :lol:

Of course, that still doesn't solve all your problems, as the 10 gallons still wouldn't be near enough space for the fry long term. They are going to need another permanent home. Have you looked into how you will deal with them when they get bigger? Do you have friends to give them to, or a LFS you can take them to? (This is the curse of livebearers! :shout: )

Just don't tell the wife until the fry are in the tank. Then she won't be able to say anything! :lol:

Of course, that still doesn't solve all your problems, as the 10 gallons still wouldn't be near enough space for the fry long term. They are going to need another permanent home. Have you looked into how you will deal with them when they get bigger? Do you have friends to give them to, or a LFS you can take them to? (This is the curse of livebearers! :shout: )

Supposedly PetCo will take them for free & some local Fish specific stores may even pay a small amount for them. These will be exotic looking, they are mostly platinum silver like their dad with just a hint of orange on their foreheads like the creamsicle mom. So far I've noticed they seem to all have the lyretail.....

Tonight we noticed one of the larger ones escaped into the rest of the tank & he was swimming with the Glowlights! The Dwarf seemed oblivious to them altogether and the Guppies didn't really bother him so we let him hang in there. Later we saw one of the Guppies chase him so I netted him & put him back in the fry net. I figure another couple of weeks & maybe I'll try setting a few of them out & see what happens. The biggest ones are still less than a half inch long, around maybe 3/8's or so.

Of course we're keeping one or two :rolleyes: We'll add a female to the 20 gallon so mother & daughter will be reunited. I also have a post up on another aquarium site called "CarolinaFishTalk.com" I don't like the site as much as this one but it is local and you can find good peeps that way.

Yeah petco will take then for free but I'm not going to use them because who knows what might happen :/ and petsmart won't take them at all. I've got an LFS near me that'll give you 50% what they're worth so I'll prolly get about 75¢ each for mine. I'll save probably 6-7 so I could make $15 on them. Not much but it's something :D enough to get something with like a few fish a few months from now. I've decided to wait until the end of februaryish to get anymore fish, do a 2 week qt, then they can go in the tank. No more diseases for me :kana:

Mine are starting to look really cool. Some have red tails and orange bodies some have orange Mickey tails and red bodies and some are orange with random black spots all over their tail. Then I've got a few random ones I just found in the tank, I think from the store, that don't really look like platys. They're keepers.... At least until I know what they are.

Yeah petco will take then for free but I'm not going to use them because who knows what might happen :/ and petsmart won't take them at all. I've got an LFS near me that'll give you 50% what they're worth so I'll prolly get about 75¢ each for mine. I'll save probably 6-7 so I could make $15 on them. Not much but it's something :D enough to get something with like a few fish a few months from now. I've decided to wait until the end of februaryish to get anymore fish, do a 2 week qt, then they can go in the tank. No more diseases for me :kana:

Mine are starting to look really cool. Some have red tails and orange bodies some have orange Mickey tails and red bodies and some are orange with random black spots all over their tail. Then I've got a few random ones I just found in the tank, I think from the store, that don't really look like platys. They're keepers.... At least until I know what they are.

The local fish store that I want to give them to has many empty tanks but the tanks that have fish all appear healthy. That's the store I got my female Pearl Gourami from. Not sure if she'll offer me any money & even if she does, I'd just rather they have the space they need for now at least. These will be awesome looking I'm sure, especially next to some of the butt ugly dalmation crap they have at the stores around here.

Yeah I went to a store and was like what is this???? And bought a marble lyre-tail instead. Much better looking IMO if you get the right one. Ive also got 2 regular marble females. My male always flares though. I Want him to breed with my girls they'd make beautiful baby's. One fm is white the other black and the male white and black. I hope yours turn out good. I can't wait til they grow up. See how they turned out :D

Yeah I went to a store and was like what is this???? And bought a marble lyre-tail instead. Much better looking IMO if you get the right one. Ive also got 2 regular marble females. My male always flares though. I Want him to breed with my girls they'd make beautiful baby's. One fm is white the other black and the male white and black. I hope yours turn out good. I can't wait til they grow up. See how they turned out :D
The Dalmation ones I usually see look like someone threw black & white stuff at them with no consistent patterns.

Looks like I found a free 10 gallon tank locally!!! Whoohoo! It pays to find a local Fish Forum apparently. Here's a picture:

ee1be42e.jpg

The only problem is that it comes with a Betta & (2) Corries. I can put the Corries in my 36 gallon with the single Corry I have in there but I can't add a Betta to any of my tanks & I refuse to rehome him to a fish store where he'll spend his life in a tiny bowl.

It was free. No fair best I can get is empty 10 gallon tanks free and they're always gone. It's like free 10 gallon tank first cone first serve. On curb. Or free filter take it or leave if on curb. Once my dad and I went to go get a free filter (crappy 10 gallon one too) and it was squished by a car on the side of the road.

Send him here mr. I get free stuff. I'd gladly put him in my new betta tank.

It was free. No fair best I can get is empty 10 gallon tanks free and they're always gone. It's like free 10 gallon tank first cone first serve. On curb. Or free filter take it or leave if on curb. Once my dad and I went to go get a free filter (crappy 10 gallon one too) and it was squished by a car on the side of the road.

Ha! :look:

I just need to re home a Betta..........

Do you live anywhere near North Carolina?

Hmm first I've got s little explaining to do for my my parents then I'll pm you how.

Could you post s pic here?

Sounds good to me. If you look in the pictures you can see him on the right side. He's one of those blue body, red fins & pale face version. I would love to keep him but that would defeat the purpose of getting the tank for the fry.............and I certainly don't want him in some fish store in a tiny bowl.

Sorry I can't see him I'm on my iPhone. Sorry.

Good stuff Ruskull!

They will grow much faster in the 10 gallon tank. :good:

Sorry I can't see him I'm on my iPhone. Sorry.

I guy with the free tank said it's mine & I plan to pick it up tomorrow. My 72 year old father said he'll take the Betta and put it in a 20 gallon high setup that I found on Craigslist for $20 complete! So basically the Betta will even be better off. He's been wanting to get back into the hobby and what better way then to start off with a decent middle of the road setup like this one. I'd ship him to you instead but I've never shipped anything live & I'd hate for you to get a box with a dead fish in it.

I will shoot you some pictures anyway, in the unlikely event something falls through.

BTW, my father will probably join this site too. That'll be 3 generations of us on here counting my son!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back