You Must All Have A 'fishy' Tale To Tell

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

seffieuk

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!
Reaction score
Be it funny, sad, joyous or just awful, come share some fish stories - what is your best, worse, happiest memories?

Seffie x

My story which sprung to mind when I read this was my lionfish,
I had spent many many hours planning and dreaming of my first lionfish, when the day came to purchase my first one I was sooooooooo excited, It went in the tank and looked fantastic

But alas when I got up the next morning it was dead :-(
the same fate befell this fella too

I then talked myself into getting a third, this one disappeared without trace.
I decided at that point not to buy anymore lionfish and my dream ended. :byebye:

I turned my external filter off, forgot to turn it back on. 12 hours later see that its not on, turn it on and almost kill the whole tank with sulpher. I only lost my chromis. Corals sulked for a few days.

Not marine but still a tale.
One the the small 2" discus went missing as its a well planted tank I thought nothing of it. 3 days later I still had not seen it so I decided to rearrange the tank and try and spot him. Tank emptied of decor, 60% water out, noticed what I thought was a rotting leaf sticking out from the filter mounting (Fluval U4). I rubbed it with my finger but it was spiney! I knew straight away what is was. The poor little fella had wedged himself in there and could not get out. :sad: I'm glad the others are too big for them to get in!

That happened to my grandaughter, PrincessCoral's gorgeous angel as well :sad:

Seffie x

not a fishy story, but i got an old corner tank stuck so tight ina door way we had to cut the door frame out around it :blush:

Not marine but still fishy.
When I was a kid my dad kept tropical fish and wanted to get a bigger tank so tank was bought, installed, filled and the livestock moved over.
The old tank went into the garden with the gravel in it and about and inch of water in there.
Well summer turned to autumn and eventually gave way to winter as autumn is prone to do.
Spring arrives to see the ice that had built up in the tank thaw out and lo and behold! What do we find but a zebra danio swimming about, the little swimmer had survived in sub zero temps for months eating only algae.
We put him in a water feature and he lived for another 5 years.

not a fishy story, but i got an old corner tank stuck so tight ina door way we had to cut the door frame out around it :blush:

And oh how we remember that one, I remember someone not being the happiest bunny in the world when she saw her door frame :lol:

Seffie x

And oh how we remember that one, I remember someone not being the happiest bunny in the world when she saw her door frame :lol:

Seffie x

no she wasnt :blush: couldnt even close the door to hide from her, could still see her fuming through the massive gap

When I was dismantling my marine tank a couple of years ago I had a large piece of fake coral in the tank. It was basically a large, hollow rock with pieces of plastic coral coming off it. Note that it was hollow :lol:. Don't know why I even had it,... I had plenty of live rock as well. I had taken the majority of the water out but still couldn't catch the Lunar Wrasse I had.. He was gorgeous. I turned over the piece of coral so it was laying flat, the Lunar Wrasse shot straight up into the piece of fake rock. It was about 24inches tall with numerous dead ends, holes and caves, many of which where no where near wide enough for him to turn around in.

I waited all of about 15 mins before stress got the worst of me and I picked up the rock, trying to drain him out LOL, nothing worked, so I put the rock back into the tank. Went into the shed, got a hammer. Pulled the rock out of the tank and smashed it open, right in the middle. Stuck in one of tunnels near the top of the rock was the wrasse, alive and seemingly well. I got him out, stuck him in a bag and he was fine :D

Buuuut... I did loose a 80$ piece of fake coral. Not that I mind, really.

:lol: Haha, probably, I was so nervous that I was going to squish him my hands were shaking too much to even get a good hit of the hammer :crazy:

when i had a marine tank a while ago i had just 2 cleaner shrimp and 2 clownfish.
after a week of the clownfish being in there i came down one morning and they were no where to be seen.
so i moved the tank out, took the background off to see if they were behind the live rock as i couldnt see as i had a lot, and they just dissapeared.
my husband kept saying they may have died and the shrimp have eaten them but i just didnt think thats what happened.so i thought they may have been sucked into the external filter,so i took it out from the cuboard below and low and behold they were both swimming in the bottom of it.

not marine but when i bought a couple of puffers i noticed one of them had disappeared after a few days. i know they are curious fish and it had been inspecting my betta quite a bit. i thought it must have got a bit too close and been eaten. anyway a few days later i had the torch out having a good look at the tank and i seen a little flicker from the side of the weir filter. i got the torch in there and it was the puffers eye glinting when he looked at the torch. he was wedged in the there real tight and couldnt move at all. must have been there 3 or 4 days. he was really skinny and couldnt swim, kept looking at me and i felt really sorry for him hoping he would recover. i put him in a breeding trap and fed him a couple of bloodworms. after a day or so he started to move again and within a week had made a full recovery :) must have been on the brink of death.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back