Writers

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dragonscales

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm suprised there isn't a thread dedicated to writing yet, so I thought I'd take the honour of making the first one in this section :shifty:

Which members out there write, and what do you write? Should be interesting to see the results!

Personally I write poetry, sci-fi, fantasy and horror - short stories and novels (yet to finish a novel, but yeah, got a couple in the works). The majority of my writing would probably fall into the category of the coined term weird fiction, think lovecraft but take it a step or two further in the graphic department and that is a good idea of my style :D

I want to write a novel but havn't got round to doing it due to lack of time, If i did it would be something about a goverment agency etc.

I've got a couple novels in progress. Westerns are my style. :D One of them I will have been working on, on and off, for two years. The other for about a year. I don't know if I'll ever get them finished. :S

I like to write, but I, personally, don't think I'm actually terribly good at it.

People seem to like my style however...

Anyone gonna post a taster of their stories? I'll post mine if you post yours! :p

I am currently working on a writing project which should, at its finish, result in three novels as part of a series. It revolves primarily around werewolves and other wereanimals, but includes a few other supernatural beasties. Currently, my writing time is limited, and I have only about 100 pages of the first book. However, I have the plot lines mapped out for all three, and will be going to Montana this summer to better research the region and enhance the quality of the descriptions in the book. With any luck, I will get published, though even if I do not, this is more a personal writing project for my own entertainment.
I also enjoy advanced RPing on four wildlife/feral animal RPGs that I own. I think interactive writing is one of the best ways to refine your skills, since another person's influence on a plot line can dramatically change the direction of things. It really forces you to constantly think and modify your ideas. RPing has also forced me to research the behavior of a wide range of species, which is wonderful for books regarding wereanimals. Additionally, the massive range of characters has helped me learn to write from a huge range of perspectives.

I'm suprised there isn't a thread dedicated to writing yet, so I thought I'd take the honour of making the first one in this section :shifty:

Which members out there write, and what do you write? Should be interesting to see the results!

Personally I write poetry, sci-fi, fantasy and horror - short stories and novels (yet to finish a novel, but yeah, got a couple in the works). The majority of my writing would probably fall into the category of the coined term weird fiction, think lovecraft but take it a step or two further in the graphic department and that is a good idea of my style :D
I've also developed a Lovecraftian theme in most of my work. I am aiming for a Lovecraft/Sci-Fi crossover but I'm still only creating a background and have yet to pull it together into useable 'universe'. My only stories are very short and are waiting to mature into acceptable short stories or, at best, 'novellas'.

Good luck to you in all your endevours.

I only relly write poems, much easier and quicker, shorter too, and I can never think of any original plots for stories :(

well i've started planning my first novel i'll keep you all updated :D

Yeah...I can think of the ideas, but I can never think of characters or how to start...

I'll be the first to post mine then...not particularly original yet, but I think I will be...

In the Summertime

I can still remember that glorious summer when my life changed. The sweltering sun was hot on my back and the birds twittered endlessly in the towering birch trees. The crystal clear stream glimmered like diamonds and the pleasant dappled shade provided a place for the tiny silver fish to bask. Strawberries were plentiful, juicy and ripe. Doors were flung open in the hope of attracting an almost non-existent breeze. Summer was upon us and the atmosphere could not have been more perfect.

The weather of course, showed no hint of what was to come. That’s because in the real world the weather doesn’t change to your convenience and it isn’t melodramatic. In the real world, the atmosphere isn’t set to what you’re doing and you what you do doesn’t control a change of events on the weather front. If there happens to be a rumble of thunder when you say something ominous and threatening, rest assured, it is a matter of pure coincidence, nothing to do with the fact that some God of weather is in your favour. Such mislead ideas usually lead to some kind of psychopath, which is exactly what I don’t need in my job.

My job is in fact, working for the police. I’m part of the murder investigation team - it’s one of the more interesting jobs, that’s for sure. On the upside, you see something new everyday. On the downside, it’s usually blood and gore, with random internal organs thrown in for good measure. Nevertheless, I love my job, and wouldn’t change it for the world.

The summer I’m talking about, happened a few years back. Back then, I’d only been in the force for about 6 months, and was certainly not working in somewhere as highly thought of as a murder investigator. Oh no! I was part of what you might call the clean-up crew. Making coffees was my speciality, but I could also clear desks quite quickly and put all the little clues in bags for detectives who, quite frankly needed to get their heads out from their posterior – to put it nicely.

My name, by the way, is Robert Campbell, but most people call me Rob. I’m an average height man with grey eyes and scruffy dark brown hair, which is kept short, for practical reasons. If there were no practical reasons, my hair would be long and scruffy, because I don’t feel the need to cut my hair. What I wear isn’t important to me or, therefore, you. All you should know about what I wear is that my investigation gloves are essential and that I need pockets to carry clue bags around with me.

Since someone posted a bit of thiers, I'll post a very small bit of mine. I don't share much of my writing online for obvious reasons, seeing as there's no way to protect it. The paragraph structure is a bit off, because this is a "rough draft," and I never do much to define paragraphs since I always end up adding and taking away from the writing to a huge extent.

Ghostly white tendrils of steam curled from my nostrils, rolling up my cold-numbed cheeks and flitting past my eyes like the long forgotten spirits of an icy grave. At least I had a visualization; I could no longer feel the breath that escaped my frost-burned lungs, my nose and lips swollen, heavy, and insensitive with cold. Every time I blinked my bleary eyes against the stark whiteness of the snow, glistening to a near-blinding perfection in the sun, I could feel the thin, dark lashes clinging together as tears froze in the harsh winter air. Pausing for a moment, allowing the monotonous crunch of my well-worn boots to cease and leave me in silence, I raised a heavily gloved hand over my eyes, shielding them to better survey my surroundings. On mornings like this, snow recently fallen and sunlight just barely peeking over the jagged horizon of the Adirondacks, it was easy to become lost in the cold and barren expanse of endless trees, rocks, and small, weaving mountain creeks.
I cast my gaze briefly to the distant sibling peaks of the mountains. With the glowing orb of the sun just barely balanced above the landscape, the precipice of each great snow-capped behemoth was transformed into a fang within a hungry maw poised to rend it from the heavens. Even if the sun somehow escaped its hungry stalker, I knew its warmth would be greedily devoured by the cold Nor’easter wind that had carried in seven inches of fresh new snow the previous night. Shuddering once in the frigid air, I tore my gaze away from the distance and focused on the forest around me.
Gargantuan deposits of cold, gray stone jutted erratically from the snow-smothered earth, ice glazing each moss-covered rock face in treachery and beauty. Here and there, a deep crack one of the formations revealed glistening daggers of icicles, hanging effortlessly from the steep and slippery edges around them. It was gorgeous, but it was not what I was looking for. Stiff, numb fingers moved clumsily towards the glorified canvas fanny pack given to me by my employers - the Adirondacks Institute for Therianthropology - which now served as a useful carrying case for maps and other vital supplies. Pulling out the cold, metal and glass disk of my compass, I scrutinized the arrows, face taut with concentration. Turning my back to the monoliths of stone behind me, I pointed the small red arrow to the north, careful not to move the compass housing, the continued Northwest, only slightly adjusting my course.
It was mildly worrisome that, after nearly a year of carefully tracking and observing pack #15-A, I still occasionally lost my way along the three mile trek from the remote AIT station to the outer borders of the pack’s territory. Perhaps today I could blame the recent snow casting the landscape in an unearthly alabaster brilliance, but the fact of the matter was, my sense of direction was just as poor as my other senses. How dwarfed I so often felt in the presence of my subjects, their magnificent ears and noses detecting me before I even left the lodge while I was lucky to spot them from a few dozen yards away. Relying on magnets and paper to guide me haphazardly through the mountains, I followed creatures whose hunting routes carried them miles away from their home base in all directions, always to return with efficiency and certainty as though guided by some superior internal compass.

Hmmm perhaps a writing critique thread is in order? (maybe even a section devoted to writing and other artforms criticism to get feedback from members if alot of activity is displayed?).

I have written before and got some of it published.

I used to write about fantasy worlds and drew alot of my work from early RPGs that i used to run. My stories centered around 1 character (although many others featured prominantly on my work and sometimes the main character hardly made big appearances.
My character Originally stared as a Roleplay character. It then move dto an Onliner RPG hosted site where they owners were so impressed with his background and history they commisioned me to write a series of stories about him within their online world. It was released to all members who paid their monthly subscription fees in the form on a magazine. The company no longer hosts the world as it was a sort of side line for their customers (as this was a company that actually had little do to with gaming).
My character grew in popularity and has moved to many different wolds etc on his adventures. The last writing i did was a freebee for a Neverwinters campaign where he was heavily involved. Below is the most recent picture of him (this was him and his lover ) in an Online envrionment.

NavYar1.gif

I have all the notes and threads to create a full novel for him as he has been worked on for well over 20 years now. However i need to find the time now to get it all together and release it. :/

Most reactions

Back