Wow, Just Wow!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
idealistic, maybe, stupid? definately not!

yes we SHOULD be able to just appreciate life, and do everything in our power to protect it without having to make any animal suffer. but in our quest for knowledge, other things are sacrificed.

I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in the world, these sharks are being exposed to toxic chemicals on purpose, then blood tests, and tissue samples being taken to see what happens to the animal. I personally think that would be going too far, but then I also think the knowledge gained would be fantastic, but there must be nicer ways to get the info?

I think you're right, that it may be how far removed from nature we have become thanks to our technology.

btw, a fluval u2 isn't the filter i'd choose, i think i might go for an external, because in a tank that size, having a box in the tank would just ruin it. so i'd go for a fluval 105.

at a rough guess to get 5 x filtration you would need 94710 fluval 105 :lol: :lol: :lol:

btw, a fluval u2 isn't the filter i'd choose, i think i might go for an external, because in a tank that size, having a box in the tank would just ruin it. so i'd go for a fluval 105.
I was thinking a sponge filter or several...could use different colour sponges and led lights to give a nice effect, just need one monster air pump ;)
Just imagine what could live in a sump for that tank...

at a rough guess to get 5 x filtration you would need 94710 fluval 105 :lol: :lol: :lol:

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

DId you actually get a calculator out for that, I'm not even gonna try and figure that one out :)

Is that a Juwel Tank :blink:?

i hope they cut the filter out! :shifty:

hope they give visitors boots! if its Juwel, it wont be long till it splits!

personally, i cant see any logic in keeping them like that. (in captivity). all you will learn from that, is how the fish behave in captivity. not much help, if you want to know how the fish, behaves, naturally. (which is often the excuse, used to justify money making fish tanks like this, though.)
sure you can do genetic tests. but they can, usually, be done from wild harvested samples.

there aresome things which can be observed a lot easier in captivity, and i think most of the debate would be about whether its right to keep them for the sake of an easier capture of data.

IF they ever managed to breed in captivity, then that would be fantastic and provide lots of useful info, which would probably take hundreds of years to accurately view in the wild. and who knows how much longer sea water will remain stable enough to sustain them?

I would love to find out what these big aquariums find out from keeping whale sharks like that...I do wonder if the science is more of an excuse than anything else...but that's my pessimistic view I guess
shifty.gif

Anyone know of any sources on the web which highlight what discoveries have been made via captive based whale shark research? Anyone actually work in a place like this?

We are all assuming it is a positive thing for the "good fight"...maybe it is just the money that drives it all, after all it does seem that everything else in this world is driven by that nasty stuff...

* sorry, couldn't help but make the comment, the conspiracy theorist that I am had to speak up...

** looking for evidence now :)

I would love to find out what these big aquariums find out from keeping whale sharks like that...I do wonder if the science is more of an excuse than anything else...but that's my pessimistic view I guess
shifty.gif

Anyone know of any sources on the web which highlight what discoveries have been made via captive based whale shark research? Anyone actually work in a place like this?

We are all assuming it is a positive thing for the "good fight"...maybe it is just the money that drives it all, after all it does seem that everything else in this world is driven by that nasty stuff...

* sorry, couldn't help but make the comment, the conspiracy theorist that I am had to speak up...

theres quite a bit of stuff on here mate along with some links to research projects

shifty.gif

theres quite a bit of stuff on here mate along with some links to research projects

Cool, I'll take a look

I found an interesting interview with the Chief Science Officer at Georgia Aquarium here: http://www.southernf...nce.com/?p=4334. The two sharks that died came from a Taiwanese fishing quota so were destined for food already before going into the Aquarium...although now there is a ban on fishing them in Taiwan I think. I'm all for putting them in captivity when the ONLY alternative is food processing....i.e. from an existing fishing quota

Another good article from Jonny's linked site above: http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/InNews/opinions2007.html

Thanks for the link Jonny...bookmarked now
good.gif

Well only the okinawa and Georgia aquariums are keeping whale sharks currently. There is also a resort in Dubai that has been trying to get one for some time and had one for a little while, however since they are a resort they are facing a lot of criticism on their efforts to get one. I would be against keeping a whale shark just for profit, which is why I would be very skeptical of letting a resort house one. However if they can match the research data, education, and conservation efforts of the Georgia or Okinawa aquariums then it would be much more acceptable. I know the Georgia aquarium is a non-profit organization as are the majority of major zoos I believe. These places should be viewed much differently than profit orientated places like sea world.

Some linkys I found
Link 1
Link 2
Linky 3

The big why for me, is why can't world governments stop the slaughtering of whale sharks, why is it perceived that we need to show case an animal before it can be protected...who do we think we are? How many whale sharks will need to be captured before something positive comes from it...I think the whole notion for capture is ridiculous and just shows how greedy and selfish humanity can be...
This is the issue between less developed countries and more developed countries. Advancement usually requires exploitation of natural resources. The US and Europe use to be heavily forested. We chopped a staggering amount of our forest down. Once a country becomes developed it starts worrying about protection and regulation of environmental resources. Its difficult to tell another country to stop whaling/ deforesting when we use to do the same. May countries still have issues with human rights in addition to animal rights and protection. Most of the oceans are also international waters. It is open to all, governments can only control the catches brought back to their shores. In ecology a setup like this is referred to at "tragedy of the commons".

Thats interesting raptorrex never heard anyone had a problem with Juwel tanks.
Except maybe there filter boxes

To be honest I have never had a problem with them and currently use them exclusively there brilliant :good:.

On a serious note and just throwing my 2 penny's worth into the discussion I am against Keeping a whale in captivity to me it is just pure wrong even though it is one of the coolest tanks I have ever seen.

Regards onebto

Well only the okinawa and Georgia aquariums are keeping whale sharks currently. There is also a resort in Dubai that has been trying to get one for some time and had one for a little while, however since they are a resort they are facing a lot of criticism on their efforts to get one. I would be against keeping a whale shark just for profit, which is why I would be very skeptical of letting a resort house one. However if they can match the research data, education, and conservation efforts of the Georgia or Okinawa aquariums then it would be much more acceptable. I know the Georgia aquarium is a non-profit organization as are the majority of major zoos I believe. These places should be viewed much differently than profit orientated places like sea world.

Some linkys I found
Link 1
Link 2
Linky 3

non profit it may be but it was 'funded' by a lot of major corporations..........who have probably all got their investment back in tax breaks and free advertising to over 10 million people........or maybe i'm just being paranoid

non profit it may be but it was 'funded' by a lot of major corporations..........who have probably all got their investment back in tax breaks and free advertising to over 10 million people........or maybe i'm just being paranoid
well yes to the tax thing, a donation will be tax deductable, meaning they won't pay tax on that money as earnings.they do however still lose the money.

and as for advertising. I'd say yes, they probably have a plaque or something. but in all honesty, how many of those millions of visitors do you think are interested in a stupid plaque when they've got whale sharks and manta rays in front of them? not only that but the sort of money involved, it would probably be a better use of that money to pay for more traditional forms of advertising.

understand that DOESN'T mean i am for keeping these sharks in captivity, my vote is still out on these aquariums on that issue, although i agree they should never be kept if they aren't doing any research on them...

I watched the making of this aquarium on some documentery show. pretty cool.Has anyone ever been to the montarey bay aquarium? Its not as big as that but still big. They have 2 huge sunfish hammer heads ( my fav) and sea turtels.Sometimes they get in baby Great whites 5-6 feet long normaly hurt or caught where they should not be. They nurse them to health and let them go. It's pretty cool. I got to see one of the great whites.

I love aquariums. Can't wait to go back.

haha WC. I'm pretty sure this aquarium is set up like the montarey bay one. They pump water from the ocean in to the tanks and then back out to put it very simply.

Aren't sunfish the ones that start off pea sized, then within a few weeks are the size of a small truck?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back