Wow, Just Wow!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The whale sharks are clearly real, that would be some impressive digital effect if they were not. :rolleyes:
however you clearly can tell, why would wikipedia say that they are real if they are not, why would the Aquarium boast being one of the only in the world to keep them if it does not?

I couldn't begin to comprehend a water change on that thing, although wiki says that the water is pumped in from offshore so I suppose there is no need.

i wouldn't beleive everything Wiki says...

i'm going with cartoon fish, i studied Finding Nemo for 15 years. I know...

i'm going with cartoon fish, i studied Finding Nemo for 15 years. I know...

You just made me think I was a lot older than I really am...Finding Nemo has been out for 15 years...my god!
laugh.gif

Seasonal migrations occur in many species of insects, birds, marine mammals, and large herbivorous mammals. These migrations often provide the animals with more favourable conditions of temperature, food, or water..

You have seals, whales, mammals and bats n birds which all migrate, where most if not all are kept at zoos or on farms,but i do agree it could well fustrate the whale shark being penned in as they are.

"The whale shark is thought to be highly migratory but currently there is no direct evidence to support this hypothesis"

Whale shark facts

I bet that takes a good old water change!

James.

cheers, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, just trying to understand your point of view.

there is also the fact that there are some things which will be easier to learn about these creatures while in captivity, hopefully one day they will breed in the aquarium, that would give answers to their breeding, and to follow the proccess in the wild ou would need several teams of divers to follow them with a camera, swapping every couple of hours (or whenever air is running low) possibly giving weeks, months or even years of footage to look through to find the information you are looking for. whereas in the aquarium, they can just be observed.

so although in a lot of ways i do agree that it isn't fair on animals to keep them like this, it does have a few things in its favour.

1. at least the tank is pretty big, maybe not as big as the sea, but still pretty #40## big.
2. at least it is providing a place to study the creatures
3. its providing a place where other people can learn about them and see why we need to look after these animals...

so as long as its not just average joe keeping these things, and its left to public aquariums being used for the study of them, I personally can't see a big problem, if it was just some guy somwhere who had a baby in his 1000 Gallon tank then yeah, I'd see a huge problem...

WHAT!!!!!!

like i said, there are something which I think can be excused/ignored for the purpose of science and learning.

THAT!!!
is disgusting. why the hell would you need to tie rope round a shark? and then tie a stick on? use it as a lead? to drag the thing around??? put the stick in the ground so the thing can only go in circles??? disgusting

interesting, at least there was a good reason for it then. but surely there could have been a better way? like someone staying with it until helpcame, or stealing some fishing nets to just block it into a single area... rather than tying things toit.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back