Would this be too much for a tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ChrisH

Reaction score
Hi! I have a 126l (27gallon) tank. Would the following be too much stock?

6x Neon tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)
2x Dwarf otocinclus (Otocinclus affinis)
3x Harlequin (Trigonostigma heteromorpha)
5x Black Widow tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi)
4x Neon Rainbow (Melanotaenia praecox)
3x Red Line Torpedo barb (Puntius denisonii)

I have really fallen in love woth the Red line Torpedos! ;-)

That is an awful lot of fish for the tank.Your red lines will each get to be about 6 inches long and your total fish length is 54" or 2 inches per gallon. WHile i do not hold the inch per gallon rule as gospel, it is a valid guide line and should not be over done when establishing a brand new tank. Once the tank is established and stable then you can look into the filtration/water quality issues that will allow you to increase the number of fish in your tank. HTH :)

I'd be happy keeping that amount in that tank :)

Just keep on top of water changes and have a good filter

I've got to agree with tstenback. That is just too many fish. And almost as importantly, you really should keep your schooling fish in schools (generally of 6 or more). I think you'll derive more pleasure from a tank with active and naturally acting fish of fewer species than the tank you describe.

If you really like schooling fish, limit yourself to 2 or 3 different species in a 27g.

smithrc said:
I'd be happy keeping that amount in that tank :)

Just keep on top of water changes and have a good filter
I agree 100% with you smithrc. I am unfamiliar with ChrisH and his/her (wont tell us :D )level of experience in the hobby. So in light of that i was trying to be cautious and avoid one of the many situations that arise due to overstocking a tank without the experience to know how to manage that kind of bio load.

Not looking for a scrap if thats what it sounds like :rolleyes: :lol: just trying to caution chrisH to take it slow and when comfy with the tank then increase the bio load very slowly and watch the water parameters closely specially the nitrate levels.

No problem

As you say, for a beginner it would be a heavy load and there would probubly end up being casulaties

Hi guys thanks for all your help!

A few more details for you! I am still fairly novice at this which is why I keep asking these questions! The situation is this - a friend has just had to leave university and can't take his fish with him, but wants to keep the tank - and so he is desperately looking to rehome ASAP:

4x Neon Rainbow (Melanotaenia praecox)
3x Red Line Torpedo barb (Puntius denisonii)

Which are all still young and small - the barbs are about 5cm. I currently only have the 27g tank, although in a Month, I will be be in the situation to get a 2nd bigger tank (Looking about 4ftx2ftx1.5ft). I was trying to establish if I would be able to take these fish into my existing tank for the month, and then move them all into a bigger tank at the Beginning of July?

I currently have the following in my tank:

6x Neon tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)
2x Dwarf otocinclus (Otocinclus affinis)
3x Harlequin (Trigonostigma heteromorpha)
5x Black Widow tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi)

I was intending to add considerably more Harlequins but that would wait until all these fish were settled in a much bigger tank.

What are your thoughts?

Chris

Yes you can for that amoount of time. You will have to monitor the water parameters daily and do water changes often. It would also help if you could take a few fish at a time and add them to your tank. This will reduce the amount of cycling that the tank will have to do to support the new load. If you cant add them gradually then ensure you have test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to check your water parameters daily. This extra load put in all at once will most likely put your tank into a cycle and you will have to do as above. Make sure to keep the ammonia level below 1 ppm and if you can keep the nitrite level that low as well. If there is not a lot of circulation in the tank i would also add an airstone/curtain to provide extra surface movement that will increase the oxygen uptake in your tank. HTH :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back