World Cup 2026

Fishmanic35 151

Gone Fishing
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Supporting Member ⭐
Joined
Sep 23, 2013
Messages
13,651
Reaction score
16,063
Points
113
Location
Northeastern USA
The US has advanced today by beating Bosnia. There were 32 teams competing in this round. There are 16 teams competing in the next round. US will play Belgium Monday evening. Game will be broadcast on FOX .
Is anyone here watching any of the World Cup matches? What country are you rooting for. Which team do you think has the best chance of winning?
 
Last edited:
We're watching what we can, most of the games are being broadcast late and in the very early hours of the morning over here in the uk...I'm too old and not overly invested to be staying up past my bedtime 😖 I'm not a nationalist so I don't really care who wins
 
Making a point of watching all the England matches (I'm a Londoner) and seeing others as and when. Really sad that the next England match is in the early hours of the morning (for those of us in the UK) - in normal circumstances I'd stay up to watch, but I have an early start and long drive (work-related) the next day so....
 
I've watched a lot of matches, without any nationalistic sports fever. I like underdogs who play creatively, and I don't respect flag wavers. I'm glad Canada is doing well because it builds the game here, and it's a great game to watch. It's become very popular with younger people who play sports, and the more people get out, play on teams and stay in shape, the better. But Canada is not going far in this.
I generally support African teams, until they're gone, then it's anyone but England and the USA. For skill and ability, I've come to enjoy France this round, but I'm not invested enough to predict who makes the final.
I watched the Democratic Republic of Congo vs England yesterday, with my English friends and while my team lost, I got out alive. If two African teams meet, I support the country with the better fish fauna.
Mostly though, you can watch a game and look at how the teams play, and by the tenth minute, decide which team you like. Back in the eighties, I bought my first, moved away from my family TV for the World Cup, and now is the only time I actually turn the TV on a lot. Every four years, I watch a bunch of games.
 
I think its going to be either Argentina or France for the win
 
As the host country, I hope and trust the US team makes it at least to quarter finals.
Haven't followed soccer as a whole for a few years so I'm disconnected from current standings/capabilities. For example, I would've thought Germany was a shoo in for championship contender, yet they're out. From what remains, I hope it's ultimately Argentina that lifts the cup.
 
If England falls short in this WC I need Brazil to win! Then I get the top prize for works sweepstake ;). That money will go towards future plans for stocking
 
The US is just one of three hosts - Mexico and Canada are stuck over paying FIFA too! All three hosts can't make it. I love the game, but FIFA's a racket.

I hate to pull for Brazil, but Matt has a cogent reason why.
 
A big Argentina and Messi fan.

Cape Verde is going to be a tough opponent for the Albiceleste because its goalkeeper (Vozinha) made a clean sheet in the group-stage game vs Spain. I just hope we don't get eliminated by them like when Paraguay made a shock win against Germany (who are four-time WC champions).
 
I think with Germany - you can be a past champion many times over, but if the quality of your national program player development dips, none of that matters. The team they brought to the tournament looked very unconvincing to me, and then didn't look like they were going far.

A fine example of that is Italy, who were a powerhouse for decades, and now can't even qualify for the tournament.

When a commentator says "These 2 teams met in 1978 and team A won by 4 goals" it's just silly. There's been a tiny bit of turn over in the personnel since then....
 
Cabo Verde faces behemoth Argentina next. The Cinderella team is given a 4% chance of winning.
 
I only gamble when I buy killifish eggs online, so percentages... I say Go Cabo Verde!

I said Go DRC against England, and go Senegal against Belgium, so I clearly am reliable sources.
 
I only gamble when I buy killifish eggs online, so percentages... I say Go Cabo Verde!
I checked one of the betting markets. A $10 wager on Cabo gets you $221 for a win. I thought it should be more, though it's a nice return.
 
The Cabo Verde game was the most engaging and dramatic so far. Alas, it ended predictably, but it was great underdog stuff. If I were a betting man, I'd have lost money I'm going to use to try to get Aphyosemion primigenium eggs...

Canada faces a tough team today, as underdogs. We shall see. I don't waves flags, but I'd love to see a win. The parks are full of kids kicking balls around, and you don't see that with most sports events. It's fun, and I hope it keeps going.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top