World Cup 2026

The Cabo Verde game was the most engaging and dramatic so far.
Sure was. Best $10 I've ever spent. Though a win would have been phenomenal and the payoff handsome.
 
France advances with a 1-0 win against Paraguay on sunday.
 
I'm so upset that I can't watch the England v Mexico match later, but it doesn't start until 1am UK time and I have to be up really early the next day (work) and do a three-hour drive, so it's just not do-able for me.
 
Canada is out. I was glad they even qualified after the sport really being a minor one until recent times. It's now the most popular sport here for number of players, ahead of hockey which has become very expensive to get involved with. In 20 years, it's made excellent progress, so making it to a knockout game shows what's needed next. They were good, but you could see what the real big leagues can do. It'll grow and this helped.

Now who to pull for... France looks great, though no underdog there. By the round of 8, you have to pick a strong country in football terms. Maybe Morocco... Haaland is fun to watch, but Norway's team isn't the greatest. Back to game by game...
 
Canada is out. I was glad they even qualified after the sport really being a minor one until recent times. It's now the most popular sport here for number of players, ahead of hockey which has become very expensive to get involved with. In 20 years, it's made excellent progress, so making it to a knockout game shows what's needed next. They were good, but you could see what the real big leagues can do. It'll grow and this helped.

Now who to pull for... France looks great, though no underdog there. By the round of 8, you have to pick a strong country in football terms. Maybe Morocco... Haaland is fun to watch, but Norway's team isn't the greatest. Back to game by game...
Argentina is facing Egypt in the round of 16 on the 8th local time. The Cape Verde match was very difficult and Argentina survived the 3-2 win. I have to give Cape Verde their flowers though, phenomenal performance from Vozinha and the team. I am wondering the Argentina-Egypt match would be a similar story. Eygpt beat the Socceroos in a penalty shootout... but they do have the grit to potentially get the Albiceleste to be in a hard time.

Best of luck to Messi, Otamendi and the boys...
 
I could be an Argentina fan. A strand of my ancestors left Belfast and went to Argentina to become farmers. Industrial work experience and farming didn't work out, so they caught a boat north after a few years, and ended up in the factories of Montreal.

With the World Cup (I imagine this is the same for many ethnic European Australians) I can pick teams like that. I could go for Ireland, England, Wales, Argentina, Norway, Guinea and if Labrador had its own team, them. Or I can just pull for the teams I like. Argentina plays well.
 
England plays Mexico in the World Cup matchup today. England has slightly better odds of advancing to quarter finals stage of playoffs.
Game time is 8 pm ET or 1 am for England. Should be a competitive game.
Are YOU planning to watch this game?
 
With the World Cup (I imagine this is the same for many ethnic European Australians) I can pick teams like that. I could go for Ireland, England, Wales, Argentina, Norway, Guinea and if Labrador had its own team, them. Or I can just pull for the teams I like. Argentina plays well.
Unlike the World Series, the World Cup truly earns the attributive noun, WORLD. Another thrilling match today with underdog Norway making it to the quarters for the first time ever. And that triumphant Viking row...just great.

Looking forward to Mexico v England tonight.
 
I went a bit tribal on that game - Haaland's Viking smile. The man has talent, as did his team.

I like the international aspect. Yes, FIFA is corrupt. You see that with the rescinded red card guy for tomorrow's game. But it doesn't take away from the spectacle. So go Mexico tonight (sorry English friends), Spain tomorrow (high ranked but stylish to watch - sorry Portuguese killie association) and Belgium (sorry US friends). My picks are usually wrong anyway.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top