Will They Live Peacefully?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

finsandscales1234

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Today I was wondering, would my 2 year old betta be ok in my tank? It is a 20gal with two female (red)swordtails, and a single common pleco. They are all peaceful enough in their tank and the conditions are stable, so would they be ok all together? I know that different bettas have different personalities, but i wanted to make sure they wouldnt rip each other apart as soon as i put him in the tank.

Thanks!

I would not add the Betta for two different reasons.  The first is the temperament; male Betta are really not community fish, and while some "seem" to manage, many do not.  Either the Betta takes a dislike to the other fish, or they nip the Betta.

But the second reason is that long-term you are going to have other problems unless you have other larger tanks.  Swordtails are not exactly small, with healthy fish attaining 4-5 inches in aquaria though six inches is possible; females are larger than males, all else being equal.  So these two fish alone may be crowded in a normal (high) 20g tank; a 20g long or even better a 29g (both at 30 inches length) would be minimum.

And the common pleco should be re-homed quickly.  This fish can reach anywhere from 12 to 20 inches, and has a major impact on the bioload.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back